Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Potential job in the USA

Potential job in the USA

Old Jun 27th 2007, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Superduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to all
Default Potential job in the USA

Hi there!

I'm a Brit with a potential job offer in the USA (NoCal). I've been to the USA a few times, and I've got quite a few friends out there both British and American. My wife is also quite eager to go, so we'd like to try it out - if things don't work out then we can always move back. However, I have some questions to ask about negociation of the package.

The things I can think about at the moment are:
* Possibility of wife not working - so we lose a second income stream
* Is it feasible to ask for a flight or two each back to the UK a year?
* Temporary accomodation - 3 months sound reasonable?
* Moving all of our personal belongings over
* Medical and dental care
* Perhaps a car being rented on their dime for a month, until we can source one
* Maybe some extra time for compassionate leave
* A certain percentage of back-relocation costs if we get over there on a particular visa (say J1), and an application for an O1 doesn't work out
* Life assurance
* Some help in getting new white goods (either that or supplying a lot of 240-110 volt power adapters )

Can anyone else think of some pertinent points to raise? This job sounds like a great oppourtinity for me and my wife, but we don't want to do ourselves over financially if we decide to make the move. Job is in SF, and I'm also unsure about taxes/utilities/phone costs etc. Basically the cost of living.

Thanks a bunch!
Old Jun 27th 2007, 5:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential job in the USA

Originally Posted by Superduper
Hi there!

I'm a Brit with a potential job offer in the USA (NoCal). I've been to the USA a few times, and I've got quite a few friends out there both British and American. My wife is also quite eager to go, so we'd like to try it out - if things don't work out then we can always move back. However, I have some questions to ask about negociation of the package.

* A certain percentage of back-relocation costs if we get over there on a particular visa (say J1), and an application for an O1 doesn't work out
* Life assurance
* Some help in getting new white goods (either that or supplying a lot of 240-110 volt power adapters )

Can anyone else think of some pertinent points to raise? This job sounds like a great oppourtinity for me and my wife, but we don't want to do ourselves over financially if we decide to make the move. Job is in SF, and I'm also unsure about taxes/utilities/phone costs etc. Basically the cost of living.

Thanks a bunch!
Welcome to BE.

Absolutely spot on...although I suppose it depends on your seniority as to how much you can ask for/expect to get.

Try to transfer your UK holidays. With regard to costs should you want to transfer back...make sure you get this is writing...signed and sealed.

Try to get the cost of emergency travel back to the UK should a close relative fall ill or die.

Cost of living in SF will be high...even worse if your wife can't work. Can't help you on the visa side I'm afraid we were L1's...but there are plenty on here will be able to.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 6:04 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there!

* Life assurance

Thanks a bunch!
In San Francisco proper or in Silicon Valley or Marin or Napa or Oakland? Makes quite a bit of a difference. San Francisco is probably one of the most expensive places in the US to live. Housing is very pricey and competition for it is fierce.

A few things:

* Ask for everything you listed, though to get it you might need to a bit senior (I'm not sure what the job is. If you were a lawyer or banker, then most of those things would be well within reach).

* Compassionate Leave -- ask for it. It might be a mix of paid / unpaid though.

* Emergency Airfare -- ask for it. Say it is to take care of a family medical thing and they'll hear you out.

* Health. Very important. If you are pretty senior you'll probably be offered a package that includes it (and possibly some life insurance).

* Instead of asking for a car rental and some 'white goods help (though most places have all that already)' you should ask for a flat rate of cash in addition to moving your stuff. Our last family move was a mover (paid) and about $8,000 cash for other things (which we used for a car, buying little stuff, etc). They called it 'walking around money'.

* Temp housing. They'll probably offer 1 month, but give you a lot of freedom to skip out of the office to look at a place or that place. My general advice is to rent somewhere where you want to live for 6 months before you considering buying, but that depends on how long-term your move is going to be.

Anyway--good luck.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 6:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

J1?

I doubt many of those things would come with a J.

Did you mean H?
Old Jun 27th 2007, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

Superduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to all

Thanks. The job is in Presidio (hehe, you can probably guess what company if you know SF). It appears most people who work there live in Marin, which looks nice enough. Moreover I was just wondering if there was anything that I was missing off the "forget ye not" list.

Thanks for the replies!

Last edited by Superduper; Jun 27th 2007 at 6:12 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
J1?

I doubt many of those things would come with a J.

Did you mean H?
They want to do an O1 (I have some pretty impressive products to my name - and have held senior positions). They said a J1 may be quicker though, and they could move to an O1 during the J1.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 6:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. The job is in Presidio (hehe, you can probably guess what company if you know SF). It appears most people who work there live in Marin, which looks nice enough. Moreover I was just wondering if there was anything that I was missing off the "forget ye not" list.

Thanks for the replies!
It will be tough on your wife if she cannot work...she will probably feel very lonely and isolated. Prepare yourself for a major culture shock. Try reading through some of the threads in the UK forum...it will give you and your wife an idea just how bad being an expat can be. Bearing in mind of course it's not all gloom and doom...but it's best to be prepared IMHO.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 6:19 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies!
Don't just assume they'll "take care of the visa". You obviously have little idea how you're going to plan this at the moment judging by your posts. The company's attorney can and will leave you sitting up to your neck in it. Would suggest you fully research yourself and be an active participant in this part of the process.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there!

* Life assurance

Thanks a bunch!
Be very careful regarding which visa you are on. If the company has a UK base get them to put you in there first and then transfer on an L1, your wife can work then.
My OH's swiss company provided the following:-
6 months accomodation
Car rental till we bought one
Dental and health insurance (this is a MUST)
Life insurance as part of the salary (this isnt standard)
They paid for all relocation costs i.e. shipping all our gear in and paying for it in storage until we found a perm place.
The company pay for all visa applications and lawyers fees pertaining to this. Plus they continue to shoulder the costs even when we move into Green Card processing (thats if we ever get that far).

But we got no extra holidays - most companies in US only give their staff just two weeks, but it depends what seniority level youre at. Flights home? Well thats standard for expats if youre in Asia Dubai etc, I dont think its standard in the US. Its not viewed as a hardship posting after all.

Not sure about white goods? Might be a little cheeky, they're so cheap here after all. Read the thread about transformers, not worth the hassel it seems.

Good luck but think very carefully about Visa's. I would advise consulting with an attorney lawyer before you make the decision. There are some UK based lawyers who deal with US immigration / visas.

Good luck, SF is gorgeous.

Last edited by Adnams; Jun 27th 2007 at 6:26 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 6:23 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It will be tough on your wife if she cannot work...she will probably feel very lonely and isolated. Prepare yourself for a major culture shock. Try reading through some of the threads in the UK forum...it will give you and your wife an idea just how bad being an expat can be. Bearing in mind of course it's not all gloom and doom...but it's best to be prepared IMHO.
Good advice. Prepare your wife for this move, as excited as she is, as much as she knows about the US, as much as she wants to be supportive, this is going to be rough at times. Espcially if she is home alone staring at the TV and you are with your new mates having fun at the Presido (cool job if you are working where I think).

The Presido is near the Golden Gate bridge, so flipping over and into Marin is not that big of a deal. Well, it is SanFran and traffic blows, but it is better than say living in Silicon Valley and working at the Presidio. Sausalito is quite a nice place to live, though pricey. You might enjoy being just over the bay in a town with a 'town feel' (i.e. central downtown, walking around, etc) instead of a suburb town (strip malls you have to drive to, fear of sidewalks).

One thing I would recommend showing your wife (and yourself) is the Homesickness and Hard Times message board for Americans currently living in the UK. You'll see how little things that you don't notice in the UK are such a big problem for expats Americans (and, you can extrapolate, will be a problems for you when you get to America). It can be pretty sobering but it will also help you better understand what to expect.

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?board=68.0

SFO is 8 hours time difference from London. It is also about 8 hours from Asia. The mentality there is definitely pointed toward Asia as much as it is toward Europe, so you'll find a bit of a disconnect at times. You'll find a few places here and there (like the pub Mad Dog in the Fog I think, which opens at 7am for English Premier League matches live via satellite).

Please go through the Wiki and read some of the other advice points as you plan your move.

Good luck.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 6:25 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies!
LDAC then at a wild guess

Believe me even after nearly 2 years here its still odd. Daily things come up that you just don't expect. Still its an experience, and currently I don't think i'd have it any other way
Old Jun 27th 2007, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly it is very tough - especially if she is working now and giving up a career.
I havent been able to work for 5 years and counting. We're H1B and 4.

Last edited by Adnams; Jun 27th 2007 at 6:30 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

Great advice - thanks everyone. I have been reading through the visa requirements quite thoroughly, and its not something I take lightly. Talking to a seperate lawyer sounds like a wise move.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 6:36 pm

Great advice - thanks everyone. I have been reading through the visa requirements quite thoroughly, and its not something I take lightly. Talking to a seperate lawyer sounds like a wise move.
Something to note: if the company hires an attorney for your immigration paperwork (which they probably will) then the COMPANY is the client--NOT YOU. That means that legally, there are some things that the lawyer simply cannot tell you due to lawyer-client privilege issues.

Generally, this is not a big deal, as you are both working for the same thing (i.e. you getting a visa). But as you move forward (if) and consider a green card / citizenship, then there may come an issue where the lawyer and the client (company) might not be as interested in pushing something for you as an independent lawyer would be (i.e. the company realizes it will cost $x,000 for your green card and decides, without telling you, to just drop it--you're stuck in a lurch because many of the documents would be protected and unreleasable to you as you are not the client).

Anyway--just an anecdote but something to consider.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 6:38 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

If you are going on a visa that does not allow your wife to work, make sure you (a) get a written commitment from the company to sponsor you for PR immediately, (b) research very carefully how long it would actually take until you can apply for AOS (and your wife can apply for an EAD).

This process can drag on for years and years, even in the best of circumstances. And believe me, being a lady of leisure soon loses its allure.

And do NOT rely on anything the company tells you about the visa process and the likelihood of PR.

DYOR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.