Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Ping Pong Thread

The Ping Pong Thread

Old Oct 2nd 2012, 5:52 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Ping Pong Thread

Somewhat as a response to the previous post, I'm curious why some people have moved so often - in particular, stayed in some places for such a short time? I feel like I've moved a lot but generally have stayed in most places for at least a few years.

In particular, if someone bought a house, that seems to imply an intention to stay more long-term. Why did things not work out?

The two times I didn't stay long (12 months and 9 months, respectively), I just knew very quickly that things wouldn't work out. In both cases, I rented rather than bought.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Ciderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dunroving
Somewhat as a response to the previous post, I'm curious why some people have moved so often - in particular, stayed in some places for such a short time? I feel like I've moved a lot but generally have stayed in most places for at least a few years.

In particular, if someone bought a house, that seems to imply an intention to stay more long-term. Why did things not work out?

The two times I didn't stay long (12 months and 9 months, respectively), I just knew very quickly that things wouldn't work out. In both cases, I rented rather than bought.
For us the house purchase when we first got to Okotoks in Canada was not the smartest move in that it was within a few weeks of arrival and we were still in the clouds so probably weren't as switched on as we could have been to potential issues. The 2nd house in Okotoks, Alberta was a much more informed choice.

The move from Alberta to BC was for a job that allowed us to be where we wanted to when we first planned to emmigrate. The first house purchased in BC was a new house on a new subdivision (that now has the nickname of marijuana mountain) and unfortunately we weren't very fortunate when the houses around were completed and the charming neighbours moved in. The street then had a problem with drug grow-ops in the basements of a few houses nearby which was surprising as it was a nice neighbour hood to start with and the houses weren't what you'd call cheap by Canadian standards.

So a combination of poor judgement in one case and bad luck in others. Originally believed (and in fact were often told this) that it was a good idea to get on the property ladder in Canada ASAP for the same reasons you would in the UK.

Once back in the UK our somewhat quick move from Stratford Upon Avon to Gloucestershire was a result of "compromising" (thanks Phil & Kirsty off Location, Location) when we bought the house as it was on a road we didn't think would be as busy as it was- only a B road. We did view on different days and at different times and then it didn't seem so bad but there's a world of difference between viewing a house and living in one.

So for us the repeated moving was not really intentional and the two valuable lessons learned for buying a house in either the UK or abroad is that if it's a new area rather than fairly local then rent first if you can, or if not, then don't compromise unless you really have and if you do compromise beware of those rose-tinted glasses.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 7:53 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ciderman
For us the house purchase when we first got to Okotoks in Canada was not the smartest move in that it was within a few weeks of arrival and we were still in the clouds so probably weren't as switched on as we could have been to potential issues. The 2nd house in Okotoks, Alberta was a much more informed choice.

The move from Alberta to BC was for a job that allowed us to be where we wanted to when we first planned to emmigrate. The first house purchased in BC was a new house on a new subdivision (that now has the nickname of marijuana mountain) and unfortunately we weren't very fortunate when the houses around were completed and the charming neighbours moved in. The street then had a problem with drug grow-ops in the basements of a few houses nearby which was surprising as it was a nice neighbour hood to start with and the houses weren't what you'd call cheap by Canadian standards.

So a combination of poor judgement in one case and bad luck in others. Originally believed (and in fact were often told this) that it was a good idea to get on the property ladder in Canada ASAP for the same reasons you would in the UK.

Once back in the UK our somewhat quick move from Stratford Upon Avon to Gloucestershire was a result of "compromising" (thanks Phil & Kirsty off Location, Location) when we bought the house as it was on a road we didn't think would be as busy as it was- only a B road. We did view on different days and at different times and then it didn't seem so bad but there's a world of difference between viewing a house and living in one.

So for us the repeated moving was not really intentional and the two valuable lessons learned for buying a house in either the UK or abroad is that if it's a new area rather than fairly local then rent first if you can, or if not, then don't compromise unless you really have and if you do compromise beware of those rose-tinted glasses.
Yes, Kirsty and Phil have a lot to answer for. I don't know how they still get so much work - I'd think in the public consciousness they would be so associated with the housing bubble that people wouldn't want to see their smug faces.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Kirsty and Phil have a lot to answer for. I don't know how they still get so much work - I'd think in the public consciousness they would be so associated with the housing bubble that people wouldn't want to see their smug faces.
Kirsty's sister does a show here about doing up houses to sell. Very similar demeanour to Kirsty.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 4:01 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Kirsty's sister does a show here about doing up houses to sell. Very similar demeanour to Kirsty.
Now there's a reason to leave the US.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 4:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Now there's a reason to leave the US.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

Well here in NZ we get Michael Winter who used to do a show Sell your house where so called wrecks were not selling and he would come in and spend a little money bingo house sold! (Very similar to the Phil Spencer Show which we also get)

He is now a real estate agent in OZ,
Old Feb 15th 2013, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Thought I'd try to revive this thread:

London-Jamaica
Jamaica-London
London-Jamaica
Jamaica-London
London-Florida, USA
Florida-London
London-Jamaica
Jamaica-New Jersey USA
New Jersey-Florida
Florida-Swaziland
Swaziland-Maryland, USA
Maryland-Florida
Florida-UK (planned 2016) FINAL DESTINATION!!!
Old Feb 18th 2013, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Thought I'd try to revive this thread:

London-Jamaica
Jamaica-London
London-Jamaica
Jamaica-London
London-Florida, USA
Florida-London
London-Jamaica
Jamaica-New Jersey USA
New Jersey-Florida
Florida-Swaziland
Swaziland-Maryland, USA
Maryland-Florida
Florida-UK (planned 2016) FINAL DESTINATION!!!
Crikey. You must be an extra bouncy ping pong ball! What happened?
Old Feb 18th 2013, 6:56 am
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by happyglow
The name's Bond ... James Bond.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happyglow
yes indeed! Actually, all the first lot of London-Jamaica back-and-forthness was in childhood, and not my decision (crazy family, lol). I was 21 when I went from London to the US. That, and the rest, was my choice-to get away from the crazy family, lol (except Swaziland, which was for my husband's job - although I enjoyed being there).

I am so looking forward to going home. Maybe my head will stop spinning

Last edited by Perth; Feb 18th 2013 at 10:23 am.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Old Feb 18th 2013, 10:27 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Now we know your real identity, I hope Blofled, Goldfinger and the others baddies are not on this forum trying to track you down. Given your description of your location, I assume that 'Q' has given you a gadget laden brolly.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Old Feb 18th 2013, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
yes indeed! Actually, all the first lot of London-Jamaica back-and-forthness was in childhood, and not my decision (crazy family, lol). I was 21 when I went from London to the US. That, and the rest, was my choice-to get away from the crazy family, lol (except Swaziland, which was for my husband's job - although I enjoyed being there).

I am so looking forward to going home. Maybe my head will stop spinning
Good for you, I bet you've never been bored!

Perhaps what we could all do with is a padded cell so we can bounce around to our hearts content without having to get on a plane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.