Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Ping Pong Thread

The Ping Pong Thread

Old Feb 18th 2013, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Ping Pong Thread

Were the ping-pongers all ping ponging because of job transfers or where any of them "self-inflicted" because they simply wanted to try somewhere new for a while?
Old Feb 18th 2013, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

In the oild days transportation for life meant just that ! Now all those namby-pambies are in and out of UK at the least little upset !
Old Feb 18th 2013, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
In the oild days transportation for life meant just that ! Now all those namby-pambies are in and out of UK at the least little upset !
How dare you? I'm leaving!

It is in some ways too easy to migrate, and in others incredibly hard. I think the easy and hard parts are different for everyone, and you don't know what you're going to sail through and what will flatten you until you've been through it.

We need a ping pong smiley.....
Old Feb 18th 2013, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happyglow
Good for you, I bet you've never been bored!

Perhaps what we could all do with is a padded cell so we can bounce around to our hearts content without having to get on a plane
Oooh yes, it could be like one of those kids bouncy castles
Old Feb 18th 2013, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Were the ping-pongers all ping ponging because of job transfers or where any of them "self-inflicted" because they simply wanted to try somewhere new for a while?
At 21 I ran away from home After that I went to college, then followed job opportunities until I married, and then followed DH on his jobs.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

pennieanddarryl is an unknown quantity at this point

wow i feel like ive been standing still compared to everyone else ...lol
uk to us Texas 2003
us to uk 2005
uk to us Florida 2010
the only reason that we went back to UK was because of the London Bombings we were called back as we work for Scotland yard hubby is a k9 bomb detection sgt once there we saved like crazy to get back as the education and services available for our hearing impaired 7 year old daughter was second to none. still working for the police i regularly travel back and forth and wold NEVER allow my children to be brought up in the UK knowing and seeing what I see
Old Feb 20th 2013, 10:29 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

How dare you? I'm leaving!

It is in some ways too easy to migrate, and in others incredibly hard. I think the easy and hard parts are different for everyone, and you don't know what you're going to sail through and what will flatten you until you've been through it.

We need a ping pong smiley.....
The difficulty of today's expats is similar to what has been termed "the Paradox of Choice" - we have so many choices these days but instead of making us happier or making life easier, it can make us miserable. At least in the old days the Australian convicts knew they were there for good!
Old Feb 21st 2013, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

nuttyandfruity is a jewel in the roughnuttyandfruity is a jewel in the roughnuttyandfruity is a jewel in the roughnuttyandfruity is a jewel in the roughnuttyandfruity is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Thought I'd try to revive this thread:

London-Jamaica
Jamaica-London
London-Jamaica
Jamaica-London
London-Florida, USA
Florida-London
London-Jamaica
Jamaica-New Jersey USA
New Jersey-Florida
Florida-Swaziland
Swaziland-Maryland, USA
Maryland-Florida
Florida-UK (planned 2016) FINAL DESTINATION!!!
Wow, I just got whiplash reading that! I thought I was a ping ponger having moved from the UK to Fl, then Fl to the UK, UK back to FL and now finally (uh-huh) Fl back to the UK in the near future
Old Feb 21st 2013, 11:37 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
The difficulty of today's expats is similar to what has been termed "the Paradox of Choice" - we have so many choices these days but instead of making us happier or making life easier, it can make us miserable. At least in the old days the Australian convicts knew they were there for good!
LOL!

However, I believe they were transported for a certain period of time and could return. The catch was that they had to fund their own way.In any case, once they could make choices most of them found life down there offered better possibilities than they'd had back home.

Don't know a lot about that, but I read about a group of French-Quebecois transported for a rebellion in the early 19th century. They were notable because every one of them saved the money and returned to Quebec. So it had a lot to do with what the convicts had left.

Perhaps like a lot of us here!

Bev
Old Feb 21st 2013, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nuttyandfruity
Wow, I just got whiplash reading that! I thought I was a ping ponger having moved from the UK to Fl, then Fl to the UK, UK back to FL and now finally (uh-huh) Fl back to the UK in the near future
In all fairness, the first lots of London-Jamaica were in childhood. But it might explain the rest: ie not being able to settle! 'Course then I went a married a bloke who worked overseas for a living (and in a different country every couple of years).

Can't get moving around out of my blood it seems. Does worry me a little...what if it happens again when I get home When I'm in a more confident mood I tell myself: I already feel too tired for this move. By the time I might feel like doing it again I won't have the energy, so I'll have to stay put
Old Mar 12th 2013, 2:57 pm
Lelo

lelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond repute

Tehehehehehe I am suddenly feeling much less bi-polar in my moving habits! LOL

England- California
California - England
England - Germany
Germany - Connecticut
Connecticut - England
England - North Carolina
North Carolina - South Carolina
South Carolina - UK (?) 2014 Possibly Still trying to sort things out and see if UK is best option when green card expires or renew again. This forum has been very helpful!
Old Mar 12th 2013, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Oooh yes, it could be like one of those kids bouncy castles
I vote for a smiley of a Brit on a space hopper!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgRHWw_RRMI
Old Mar 13th 2013, 11:20 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Ok I'll add my ping pong schedule to the mix...lol

England-Australia
Australia-England
England -Australia
Australia to Tennessee
Tennessee to Australia
Australia to Seattle
Seattle to Australia
Australia to Arizona
Arizona to England (April 2013)
Old Mar 13th 2013, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
Ok I'll add my ping pong schedule to the mix...lol

England-Australia
Australia-England
England -Australia
Australia to Tennessee
Tennessee to Australia
Australia to Seattle
Seattle to Australia
Australia to Arizona
Arizona to England (April 2013)
I think we have a winner!
Old Mar 14th 2013, 12:05 am
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

I think we have a winner!
Thanks..but I think perthhomeschool beat me by a couple of trips...LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.