Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Ping Pong Thread

The Ping Pong Thread

Old Sep 28th 2012, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Ping Pong Thread

It's probably been done before, but what the heck! Post your ping ponging history if you have one. Some of us have done it more than others. It's up to you how specific you get. Here goes mine:

1988 UK to California
1989 California to Paris, Paris to Barcelona, Barcelona to Paris (didn't like Barcelona), Paris to UK (got Hepatitis and had to go home to get well)
1991 UK to California
2002 California to Boston
2013 (planning this final step) Boston to UK, for good this time
Old Sep 28th 2012, 6:03 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Ping Pong Thread

From my Profile:

1983: England to Bahamas (no teaching jobs in the UK)
1990: Bahamas to Massachusetts (to start a masters)
1992: Massachusetts to Georgia (to start a PhD)
1996: Georgia to Tennessee (that's where the good job was)
2000: Tennessee to Scotland (don't ask me why, I don't know, dumb, dumb, dumb decision)
2001: Scotland to North Carolina (that's where the great job was)
2006: North Carolina to Wales and then Scotland (don't ask me why, I have even less of an idea, was an even dumber decision)
Future: Who knows, but hopefully back to the southeast USA. Watch this space. But don't hold your breath.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

I'm worn out just watching you two but here goes:

1966 - UK to Windsor, Canada (no choice in the matter)
1966 - Windsor, Ontario to NW. Ontario
1968 - NW Ontario to Windsor, Ontario
1968 - Windsor to Amherstburg, Ontario
1969 - Amherstburg, Ontario to Kelowna BC
1969 - Kelowna BC to NW Ontario
1970 - NW Ontario to UK (was told it was a holiday but was actually meant to be permanent
1970 - UK to NW Ontario Canada (change of plans)
1979 - NW Ontario to Calgary Alberta (finally I had a say in this one)
1980 - Calgary Alberta to NW Ontario (NOT happy about this)
1981 - NW Ontario to Calgary Alberta (WOO HOO!)
1983 - Calgary Alberta to Toronto Ontario (HUGE mistake, lost a coin toss on that one)
1994 - Toronto Ontario to NW Ontario (thank God, didn't even look back)
2011 - NW Ontario - bye bye Canada back to UK
And I'm not finished yet...Kent to Yorkshire next month

SOZ I'M KNACKERED!!!!!
Old Sep 28th 2012, 8:22 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

1985 UK to US
1991 US to UK
1993 UK to US
2012 0 2013 US to UK and I never want to move again.
Looking at the others I've led a very static life.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Birth to 1977 Londonderry, N Ireland
moved to Cheshire, England 1977 to 1984
moved to Georgia, USA 1984 to 1987
moved back to Cheshire 1987 to 1990
moved to Chicago, IL 1990 to 1991
moved to NE Ohio 1991 and unfortunately I am still here
Old Sep 28th 2012, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
From my Profile:

2000: Tennessee to Scotland (don't ask me why, I don't know, dumb, dumb, dumb decision)
2006: North Carolina to Wales and then Scotland (don't ask me why, I have even less of an idea, was an even dumber decision)
Future: Who knows, but hopefully back to the southeast USA. Watch this space. But don't hold your breath.

Yikes!! I thought I moved a lot until I read your post. Sounds like you're not so keen on Scotland?
Old Sep 29th 2012, 9:32 am
advocatus diaboli

Panhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nice

From my Profile:

I thought you were dunroving
Old Sep 29th 2012, 9:54 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Panhandle
I thought you were dunroving
I have a well-developed sense of irony.
Old Sep 29th 2012, 10:02 am
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Yikes!! I thought I moved a lot until I read your post. Sounds like you're not so keen on Scotland?
I don't have an intense dislike of the place, it's a combination of the place, my situation, and the job.

I had several guests from the States over the summer and purely by luck, these were just about the only sunny days we had all summer. On days like that, driving guests around the beautiful scenic countryside, attending a traditional highland games, visiting historic sites and museums, etc., without having to think about work, it is a nice place to be.

However, most of the year, the relentless rain and wind where I live is a drain on your energy, and the much shorter winter days (compared to England) have the same effect. I cope with the situation on a daily basis rather than focus on the negative, but given the choice, I'd rather not be here.
Old Sep 29th 2012, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't have an intense dislike of the place, it's a combination of the place, my situation, and the job.

I had several guests from the States over the summer and purely by luck, these were just about the only sunny days we had all summer. On days like that, driving guests around the beautiful scenic countryside, attending a traditional highland games, visiting historic sites and museums, etc., without having to think about work, it is a nice place to be.

However, most of the year, the relentless rain and wind where I live is a drain on your energy, and the much shorter winter days (compared to England) have the same effect. I cope with the situation on a daily basis rather than focus on the negative, but given the choice, I'd rather not be here.
Yes - I know what you mean about the weather. My mum was Scottish, so I've been to Scotland many times. The weather is similar to N Ireland where I grew up, so I suppose that's why it didn't bother me so much. I was used to the wind and the rain!! The Eastern coast is much drier. My sister lives in Fife and it is really lovely there. It doesn't rain as much as other parts of Scotland.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 4:14 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=curleytops;10304848]I'm worn out just watching you two but here goes:

1970 - NW Ontario to UK (was told it was a holiday but was actually meant to be permanent
1983 - Calgary Alberta to Toronto Ontario (HUGE mistake, lost a coin toss on that one)

Curleytops, when we were leaving Canada we went to visit a school friend of mine who now lives in Windsor. While we were there we went to Amherstburg for a visit. I really liked it there.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

love this I do not feel so bad were any of the other posters undertaking these multi moves with Kids?
1974 Birmingham- Bedfordshire
1978 Beds to Worcestershire
1984 Worcs to Wolverhampton no choice to this stage
1987 Wolves to Nottinghamshire
1990 Notts to Sussex
1997 Sussex- Northampton good job
2001 Northampton to Bicester
2003 Bicester to Cornwall did not like Bicester or job in High Wycombe
2008 Cornwall to Wellington big change!
2010 Wellington to Cornwall perhaps too much!
2010 Cornwall to Auckland thats where the job is
2013 Auckland to somewhere in the UK thats the hope and now staying put
Old Sep 30th 2012, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=lf1;10307089]
Originally Posted by curleytops
I'm worn out just watching you two but here goes:

Curleytops, when we were leaving Canada we went to visit a school friend of mine who now lives in Windsor. While we were there we went to Amherstburg for a visit. I really liked it there.
Amherstburg was a nice little town but I see there are heaps more beautiful big homes along the river these days
Old Oct 1st 2012, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

bettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud of

1972 Glasgow - Coventry ( with parents)
1986 Coventry -Garstang
!987 Garstang - Coventry
1988 Coventry- Hungerford
1990 Hungerford - Miami (well on cruise ships really)
1992 Miami - Edinburgh
1997 Edinburgh - London
2001 London - Stirling (with 3 week old baby)
2007 Stirling -Vancouver (with children)
2011 Vancouver - Glasgow
2013 possibilty of having to move to Singapore, but really don't want to move ever again if I can help it!!

Last edited by bettyboo67; Oct 1st 2012 at 10:19 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Ciderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud of

Jan 2004 - Milton Keynes to Okotoks, Alberta (bought 1st house soon after landing, moved to 2nd house in September)
October 2004 - Okotoks, Alberta to Milton Keynes (rental property)
April 2005 - Milton Keynes to Okotoks, Alberta (back to 2nd house that was left empty)
July 2006 - Okotoks, Alberta to Maple Ridge BC (Bought house as part of move, moved to second house about 16 months later but ended up renting first for a few moths due to builder screw-up)
Dec 2009 - Maple Ridge, BC to Wiltshire, Uk (rental house- starting to learn...)
March-ish 2010 - Wiltshire to Warwickshire (bought house...back to the old ways)
August 2011 - Warwickshire to Cotswolds, Gloucestershire (and another house bought...thought we'd have learned by now)

Spent a fair sum on moving house both in Canada and the UK as you can see. Moral of the post always rent first when you move into a new area if you can. Makes it a dam sight easier to then buy and move into your own house should you decide you like the area!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.