Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Wikiposts

Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Old May 4th 2005, 12:52 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Originally Posted by ImHere
Even worse is old aged women in low rise jeans. We have a lovely turnout of them this spring down here.
Do they have boob jobs too or is that not found in your part of FL?

NC Penguin
Old May 4th 2005, 12:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nxylas
Downtown crosswalks. Not sure if it's the same in other cities, but here in Columbia, the crosswalks are all on corners and, unlike the British pelican crossings, which only show you the green man when the crossing is closed to all traffic, here, you have to contend with cars taking advantage of the "right on red" law and cars coming from the other direction turning left on green. This means that the "WALK" signal roughly translates as "marginally less chance of being hit by a car than when the DON'T WALK signal is lit". And if you complain about it, Americans will tell you "here, the car is King", with the implication being that if you are not in your car, you somehow become a forelock-tugging serf. Whilst my knowledge of the American Revolution is hazy, I'm pretty sure that they had a different attitude towards Kings at one time,
Pedestrians do have right of way in maine, so cars should stop for them, but I've hardly ever seen that happen...and half the time the pedestrian lights don't work anyway...it's a case of run for it...
Old May 4th 2005, 1:33 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Do they have boob jobs too or is that not found in your part of FL?

NC Penguin
Oh, many of them have the full body job - boobs, bum, tummy, face, bleached hair...the lot. Its gruesome I tell ya gruesome. They are known affectionatley as "Boca Bitches" by the natives. You got to remember Palm Beach County is populated largely by ancient New Yorkers with loads o' money and sod all to do apart from play golf and have plastic surgery. I actually beleive there are more tanning salons/beauty parlours/plastic surgeons per square mile here than even fast food outlets.

Old May 6th 2005, 2:04 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if this has come up before (and I can't be arsed to look) but I have a peeve regarding US cashpoints (ATMs, sorry):

Why do so many of them make you key in the amount of cash you want to the second decimal place? They ask you how much you want in multiples of $20, so you (for example) press the 1 then the zero twice, for $100, and the ATM goes "der, I can't give you $1.00, I said multiples of $20, dumbass", or words to that effect. I think this happens mostly with the older ATMs, but was there ever a time when you could get $1 bills or less out of a cashpoint? Why else would they make you do this?
Old May 6th 2005, 2:15 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
Why else would they make you do this?
Simple: it's to annoy you
Old May 6th 2005, 2:27 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if this has come up before (and I can't be arsed to look) but I have a peeve regarding US cashpoints (ATMs, sorry):

Why do so many of them make you key in the amount of cash you want to the second decimal place? They ask you how much you want in multiples of $20, so you (for example) press the 1 then the zero twice, for $100, and the ATM goes "der, I can't give you $1.00, I said multiples of $20, dumbass", or words to that effect. I think this happens mostly with the older ATMs, but was there ever a time when you could get $1 bills or less out of a cashpoint? Why else would they make you do this?
No (and I understand both "cashpoint" and "ATM")

It's simple: it saves on space and accounting to not have to worry with $1 and $5 bills. It's rare that I find an ATM that dispenses $10s these days -- most of them only have $20s and no matter what amount you request, it's coming in $20s. Never seen one give $50s or $100s.

My dad only recently retired from banking, so any other questions ask away. (he hate big chain banks that nickel and dime you for fees btw)
Old May 6th 2005, 2:29 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Today's front page had a story about Blair winning the UK election. I was pleasantly surprised it made the front page but it jarred me to read: "Blair's Labor Party..."

I guess if it were a party name in a foreign language, it'd be translated into English, but spare me, I think enough people understand "Labour" = "Labor." The ones interested in reading the article, anyway.
Old May 6th 2005, 2:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean...it's annoying that you can't get $10 bills out of the machines...and fee's...that's so annoying because there's hardly any atm's with my bank where I need them, ain't any in this city...
Old May 6th 2005, 2:51 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I know what you mean...it's annoying that you can't get $10 bills out of the machines...and fee's...that's so annoying because there's hardly any atm's with my bank where I need them, ain't any in this city...
Can you get an account with a credit union - they usually allow free withdrawals from other CU's ATMs. (of course this info is of use to you only if there is a CU in your neck of the woods. Which seems pretty teeny-weeny and remote - is it?)
Old May 6th 2005, 3:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
Can you get an account with a credit union - they usually allow free withdrawals from other CU's ATMs. (of course this info is of use to you only if there is a CU in your neck of the woods. Which seems pretty teeny-weeny and remote - is it?)
There is a credit union, but they don't have atm's...very weird...it's an old family business apparantly...anyway, bank we use is part of a new england group, so generally it's pretty good, certainly moving around, just happens there's no branch in this town, one in the next town, 10 mins away, so not bad...and there's only one atm machine in this city...and the main doors close at 7pm....quality huh

This is a proper city as well...apparantly...even though I'd still really call it a large village by English standards...but then using English standards, maine would only have 1 city and 4-5 towns rather than the 28 cities that they have listed *lol*
Old May 6th 2005, 8:46 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Today's front page had a story about Blair winning the UK election. I was pleasantly surprised it made the front page but it jarred me to read: "Blair's Labor Party..."

I guess if it were a party name in a foreign language, it'd be translated into English, but spare me, I think enough people understand "Labour" = "Labor." The ones interested in reading the article, anyway.
Yes, this has bothered me many times. The fact that it is a proper name requires that the spelling not be changed.
Old May 6th 2005, 8:47 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The trick is to use one near a college - they always give out fives.
Old May 7th 2005, 2:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
The trick is to use one near a college - they always give out fives.
scarily enough, even in the college towns around here, they don't...but then there aren't that many atm's in maine, most of them at drive through by banks, or in malls...
Old May 7th 2005, 3:37 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Ok this is something a little different I know but its something that has been bugging me ever since I arrived in this country.
Amercians around this area (Indiana) seem to be obsessed with Chilli & the one thing that amazes me about it is that they like to eat it with peanutbutter sandwiches Have any of you noticed this too or is it just peculiar to this area?? Dont know about you but Im used to eating it with corn bread something which these yanks are horrified by? Who has the strangest taste
Old May 7th 2005, 3:40 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shepslady
Ok this is something a little different I know but its something that has been bugging me ever since I arrived in this country.
Amercians around this area (Indiana) seem to be obsessed with Chilli & the one thing that amazes me about it is that they like to eat it with peanutbutter sandwiches Have any of you noticed this too or is it just peculiar to this area?? Dont know about you but Im used to eating it with corn bread something which these yanks are horrified by? Who has the strangest taste
Americans put syrup on bacon.
Nuff said.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.