Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Wikiposts

Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Old May 11th 2005, 10:38 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Originally Posted by mandpete
... as one child's mother objected to her son watching it because of religious beliefs, which meant the whole of the class couldn't watch it either.
couldn't they have just kicked the crunt out of class and told him to read a book? That's what my old school use to do if any of the parents objected to a movie being shown end of term etc...
Old May 11th 2005, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
couldn't they have just kicked the crunt out of class and told him to read a book? That's what my old school use to do if any of the parents objected to a movie being shown end of term etc...
That's what I thought, but being about the only non church going people in the area decided not to say anything.
Old May 11th 2005, 10:47 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I thought, but being about the only non church going people in the area decided not to say anything.
Never do that. They speak their minds and so should you.
Old May 11th 2005, 11:13 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

:scared: you guys must be pretty lonely!

Do you keep a score-card for "at which church do you worship?" and "have you found Jesus"?
Old May 11th 2005, 11:21 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira

Do you keep a score-card for "at which church do you worship?" and "have you found Jesus"?
Cramping today Donna?
Old May 11th 2005, 11:28 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
Cramping today Donna?
The name is ELVIRA FCS!!!

Doesn't anyone listen to Mozart anymore?
Old May 11th 2005, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I keep a league table of religions/churches that try to solicit my.... religion (?)

So far it looks like this:

Jehovah's Witnesses - 3pts
Church of Utah - 2pts
Church of Ohio - 1pt

I'm thinking of joining whichever has the most points at the end of the year.
Old May 11th 2005, 12:00 pm
You Are All Diseased

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I keep a league table of religions/churches that try to solicit my.... religion (?)

So far it looks like this:

Jehovah's Witnesses - 3pts
Church of Utah - 2pts
Church of Ohio - 1pt

I'm thinking of joining whichever has the most points at the end of the year.
It ain't looking good so far then
Old May 11th 2005, 12:03 pm
You Are All Diseased

The name is ELVIRA FCS!!!

Doesn't anyone listen to Mozart anymore?
And there was me just being courteous
Old May 11th 2005, 12:05 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by rincewind
And there was me just being courteous
And so you are, kind sir!

Catalogues anyone?
Old May 11th 2005, 12:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

.... "have you found Jesus"?
normal replies include yeah, he's hanging about, he's pinned down at the moment, yeah, he told me he's a buddhist...
Old May 11th 2005, 12:19 pm
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
normal replies include yeah, he's hanging about, he's pinned down at the moment, yeah, he told me he's a buddhist...
"Yes, but he told me not to tell you where he was". A friend of mine came up with that one...he later went on to become a vicar. Funny old world, innit?
Old May 11th 2005, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

I always tell people I don't go to their church, but don't mention that I don't go to any.

I did have to bite my tongue when listening to two god wallas saying how exciting it was when the new Pope was chosen and that they had been glued to the TV for hours that day waiting for the white smoke.

My son made friends with a lad whose father was the vicar?/priest? of one of the churches here but suddenly the friend wasn't allowed to our house any more. Apparently it was because we drink alcohol, have a fridge full of beer and wine in the basement and the main reason was because we don't go to church. How pathetic is that man? That was the first time we realised how shallow some people are over here.
Old May 11th 2005, 2:08 pm
ImHere

I always tell people I don't go to their church, but don't mention that I don't go to any.

I did have to bite my tongue when listening to two god wallas saying how exciting it was when the new Pope was chosen and that they had been glued to the TV for hours that day waiting for the white smoke.

My son made friends with a lad whose father was the vicar?/priest? of one of the churches here but suddenly the friend wasn't allowed to our house any more. Apparently it was because we drink alcohol, have a fridge full of beer and wine in the basement and the main reason was because we don't go to church. How pathetic is that man? That was the first time we realised how shallow some people are over here.
How shallow and intolerant I think that should be. Once again this kind of thing just proves to me how much of a disparity there is between UK society and US society when it comes to tolerance and progressiveness.

Old May 11th 2005, 2:42 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by ImHere
How shallow and intolerant I think that should be. Once again this kind of thing just proves to me how much of a disparity there is between UK society and US society when it comes to tolerance and progressiveness.
No, no, no! You've got it all wrong. It ain't tolerance and progressiveness - it's called being a liberal

Remember, liberals all go to hell! :scared:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.