Reload this Page >

Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Wikiposts

Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Old Feb 15th 2005, 4:15 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

just everything the natives say and do - apart from that I love it ..
Old Feb 15th 2005, 4:21 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

This might sound like a very minor/strange peeve, but I don't like the shopping trolleys here - they all seem to have back wheels that are fixed so they can't rotate about their vertical axis. I find this makes them much less manoeverable in a busy supermarket aisle. I remember people in Britain often making jokes about supermarket trolleys being uncontrollable, having a mind of their own, etc, but I actually think they were better.
But it's not something I lose sleep over.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 4:44 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
In this most hygeine concious country - having the "server" take your dirty cutlery off your Starter plate and put it back on the table.

Does it really cost more to give you clean cutlery with every course ?
Easy solution to this problem. Remove the cutlery yourself to a napkin instead of the table before a server tries to remove them him/herself.

NC Penguin
Old Feb 15th 2005, 4:58 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
For USCs with advanced geographical knowledge, the following may be used: London, Oxford, Liverpool, Windermere, Edinburgh (but don't pronounce it right!), York, Cambridge, London again. However, to play safe I would suggest Stratford upon Avon be simply referred to as near London.
Errr...Oxford...I was asked about that, someone said "oh, so there's a Oxford in England is there? I've always wondered where Oxford university was"....plank
Old Feb 15th 2005, 4:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
You can always ask for the appetizer salad to be served with the entree. Can get a bit crowded on the table but that way you can have a side salad with your main...
Aye, but I've had a few blank expressions when I've asked, they just couldn't compute the idea of a side dish I guess *l*
Old Feb 15th 2005, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

Texas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant future

For USCs with advanced geographical knowledge, the following may be used: London, Oxford, Liverpool, Windermere, Edinburgh (but don't pronounce it right!), York, Cambridge, London again. However, to play safe I would suggest Stratford upon Avon be simply referred to as near London.
and Bath, sometimes. Odds are I will get one of the following responses to telling people my home town:

Oh yes, great place. I've been there. (For about 20 minutes on a coach.)

(bemused look) Baaaaath? (trying to imitate my accent)

Is that near London? (to which I can reply, honestly, yes -- at least by US standards).
Old Feb 15th 2005, 5:03 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
Errr...Oxford...I was asked about that, someone said "oh, so there's a Oxford in England is there? I've always wondered where Oxford university was"....plank

Not as good as is Europe in England ? - to which I replied - should be ..
Old Feb 15th 2005, 5:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Default Re: My list :

Originally Posted by franc111s

10. Cat's eyes in road. Is it me or are the USA cat eyes are so bl**dy dim (here in GA), I reckon they came from blind cats. I know it was a British invention !!
yo've got cat eyes? you lucky arsehole
Nothing over here, the road markins don't even reflect the headlights, so in the dark, with no lights on the road, it can be really hard to drive, what with the snow banks blanking out the points of reference by the side of the road...
Old Feb 15th 2005, 5:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by elfman
This might sound like a very minor/strange peeve, but I don't like the shopping trolleys here - they all seem to have back wheels that are fixed so they can't rotate about their vertical axis. I find this makes them much less manoeverable in a busy supermarket aisle. I remember people in Britain often making jokes about supermarket trolleys being uncontrollable, having a mind of their own, etc, but I actually think they were better.
But it's not something I lose sleep over.
Aye, I know what you mean, still annoying those things....and another one, getting weird stares because I leave the trolly at the edge of an isle when I'm going to pick somin' up that's only a few feet down one of the isles rather than taking the trolly...
Old Feb 15th 2005, 5:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Eskimo
hehe...that's good...though I did get asked if scotland was a part of england....had no concept of bordering nations....I mean WTF??
Old Feb 15th 2005, 5:08 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Being asked "any relation to Ringo?" when I tell them my name. I leave you to guess what it is.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 5:10 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo

Reminds me of my first experience @ AZ DMV

State employee: If you've got a German licence I could just exchange them.
Me: No, but I've got an EU one - they're all interchangable these days.
State employee: Is the EU part of Germany?
Old Feb 15th 2005, 5:13 am
Account Closed

Reminds me of my first experience @ AZ DMV

State employee: If you've got a German licence I could just exchange them.
Me: No, but I've got an EU one - they're all interchangable these days.
State employee: Is the EU part of Germany?

being very un PC the answer would have been - no but they have tried to make it that way - twice ...
Old Feb 15th 2005, 5:43 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

My conversation in Starbucks yesterday;

Me: A venti cafe latte please.
Starbucks employee: You sound just like William Wallace
Me: How do you know he's been dead around 500 years
S.E: You know the guy in the movie (Mel Gibson in Braveheart), he's Irish or Scottish or whatever.
Me: No, I'm just kidding I'm English.
S.E: Whatever,.....at least you're not British.

The other guy making my coffee just shook his head.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

Texas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by tomelina
My conversation in Starbucks yesterday;

Me: A venti cafe latte please.
Starbucks employee: You sound just like William Wallace
Me: How do you know he's been dead around 500 years
S.E: You know the guy in the movie (Mel Gibson in Braveheart), he's Irish or Scottish or whatever.
Me: No, I'm just kidding I'm English.
S.E: Whatever,.....at least you're not British.

The other guy making my coffee just shook his head.
Given that there are probably more Brits in Santa Monica than any place in the US, he's going to go far . . .

(Was it that Starbucks just down the block from the Kings Head? Send him in there and he'd explode. Ahh, the Kings Head, I miss that place.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.