Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Wikiposts

Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Old Dec 7th 2004, 9:16 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney
Anyone else notice how long it takes to get served in a Federal post office at lunch time? Can't those postal guys take a later break? Yeah, I wanna spend all my lunch hour staring at your gourish borish unlavish gormless wormie moronic horsey non-bullish chirpy hamster faces! Give me a postage stamp of give me death. The day I walk into a Federal post-office and get rapid service I will know as certain as OJ did it that I am dead. I will not know if I am in hell or heaven or a place worse than hell: a Federal post-office. I swear, I will swing from one of those rafters unless I get decent service. Come rain, snow, showers or sunshine, u can find a long wait at your local Federal post-office!
Doesn't your local PO have weighing machines and vending machines that dispense stamps?

Also, you might want to check out www.usps.com for Click-N-Ship...

NC Penguin
Old Dec 7th 2004, 9:22 am
Franklin

Originally Posted by Puff the Magic Dragon
Doesn't your local PO have weighing machines and vending machines that dispense stamps?

Also, you might want to check out www.usps.com for Click-N-Ship...

Oh yeah, my local "station" had one ... it was broken. Also, the weighing machine was recessed so if you had an awkward shaped package you still had to wait in line ... I am going to try out e.g. stamp.com ... like Freddie Mercury, "I want to be free" ... of my local postoffice *LOL*

I want to live not wait in line.
I want to travel not wait in line.
I want to be someone not wait in line.

I want to be free.
Oh yeah, I want to be free.

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Dec 7th 2004 at 9:26 am.

Old Dec 7th 2004, 9:35 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Stupid postal system that delivers mail to the return address!!!!
Did you persist with the British way of putting the return address on the back of the envelope?
Old Dec 7th 2004, 9:37 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Anyone else notice how long it takes to get served in a Federal post office at lunch time? Can't those postal guys take a later break? Yeah, I wanna spend all my lunch hour staring at your gourish borish unlavish gormless wormie moronic horsey non-bullish chirpy hamster faces! Give me a postage stamp of give me death. The day I walk into a Federal post-office and get rapid service I will know as certain as OJ did it that I am dead. I will not know if I am in hell or heaven or a place worse than hell: a Federal post-office. I swear, I will swing from one of those rafters unless I get decent service. Come rain, snow, showers or sunshine, u can find a long wait at your local Federal post-office!
Don't they sell postage stamps at your local supermarket?
Old Dec 7th 2004, 9:41 am
Franklin

Originally Posted by izibear
Don't they sell postage stamps at your local supermarket?
I will check them out. Cheers

A kingdom for an honest postage stamp.

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Dec 7th 2004 at 10:06 am.

Old Dec 7th 2004, 11:24 am
Franklin

Originally Posted by 007
Did you persist with the British way of putting the return address on the back of the envelope?
I eat Weetabix so I am a pretty regular guy ... the return address was the regular shade of pale ...

"Life, don't tell me about life" ... Marvin, the paranoid android (H's G to the Galaxy).

Old Dec 7th 2004, 11:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone else notice how long it takes to get served in a Federal post office at lunch time?
I know what you mean, and it doesn't help that when it's busy, there's only ever one desk open...well around here that's the case...
Old Dec 9th 2004, 5:34 am
Franklin

Going to "Bestbuy", buying some heavy kit. Then paying for delivery only to be told there is a two week backlog on deliveries ... Last time I will actually buy anything bulky in Bestbuy ... will look at it in Bestbuy et al then order the kit online. Baah, humbug.

Old Dec 9th 2004, 6:31 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Going to "Bestbuy", buying some heavy kit. Then paying for delivery only to be told there is a two week backlog on deliveries ... Last time I will actually buy anything bulky in Bestbuy ... will look at it in Bestbuy et al then order the kit online. Baah, humbug.
My tip. Shop at Circuit City when they're having one of their "5 hour internet" sales (occur on Fridays from time to time). You can order online and pick up at the store.

I did one better. Printed off the pricing for TV and stand during the 5 hour internet sale then went in, after the 5 hour sale had ended and asked them to honor that price. Circuit City did better than that. They honored the price and deducted an additional 10% off!!

TV was too big/heavy to pick up and it was delivered a couple of working days later (but this was in Nov this yr).

NC Penguin, savvy shopper
Old Dec 9th 2004, 6:50 am
Franklin

I wanted delivery right to my apartment ... I did not want to manhandle a large TV and stand, also I don't have an SUV, just a four sedan car without a hatchback, the trunk of my car is pretty big, but not designed to carry a large "sticking out" TV ... I'd rather pay the delivery charge and have it delivered right to my apartment (they better not drop it off at the front desk or they will be returning to pick up my stuff from said front desk to take to my apartment). The TV is too big for one person to handle, needs two guys and a nice trolley which I don't have. I'll give them a ten buck tip to put it right where I want it.

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
My tip. Shop at Circuit City when they're having one of their "5 hour internet" sales (occur on Fridays from time to time). You can order online and pick up at the store.

I did one better. Printed off the pricing for TV and stand during the 5 hour internet sale then went in, after the 5 hour sale had ended and asked them to honor that price. Circuit City did better than that. They honored the price and deducted an additional 10% off!!

TV was too big/heavy to pick up and it was delivered a couple of working days later (but this was in Nov this yr).

NC Penguin, savvy shopper

Old Dec 9th 2004, 9:59 am
Just Joined

Starbourne is on a distinguished road

Having to restrict fluid intake if I'm going out for any length of time, simply because I can't deal with toilet cubicles where everyone can see inside. Even thought about taking a roll of masking tape out with me just in case of an emergency, but figured I would probably end up wetting myself in the time it took to tape up all the gaps.

But then worse was to come! Visited a park and the bathroom there had four cubicles, there weren't any gaps around the doors, cus there were no bloody doors! Apparently, this is not all that unusual either, but for the life of me I can't see many women wanting to use them, if any? If I were caught out, I think I would opt to pee behind a bush than use a cubicle on full view to anyone who happens to walk in!

Another peeve, oh how I hate the constant use of "you guys'!
Old Dec 9th 2004, 10:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Starbourne
But then worse was to come! Visited a park and the bathroom there had four cubicles, there weren't any gaps around the doors, cus there were no bloody doors! Apparently, this is not all that unusual either, but for the life of me I can't see many women wanting to use them, if any? If I were caught out, I think I would opt to pee behind a bush than use a cubicle on full view to anyone who happens to walk in!
The missus has been to worse...where there aren't any cubicles...just bogs, all lined up....thought that was a bit weird.
Old Dec 9th 2004, 11:38 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The missus has been to worse...where there aren't any cubicles...just bogs, all lined up....thought that was a bit weird.
For an example of this "open plan" karzi configuration visit the public loos in Washington Square Park, New York City. It makes sense there because the Square is famous for its drug dealers, and they presumably want to restrict the number of locations on hand for people to do deals, OD, or whatever.
Old Dec 9th 2004, 11:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by elfman
For an example of this "open plan" karzi configuration visit the public loos in Washington Square Park, New York City. It makes sense there because the Square is famous for its drug dealers, and they presumably want to restrict the number of locations on hand for people to do deals, OD, or whatever.
Close the bogs down and let people piss on the streets then
Old Dec 9th 2004, 12:03 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like I need to provide you guys with a web address: http://www.urinal.net/
Have fun with the women's urinals....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.