Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Wikiposts

Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Old Nov 29th 2004, 3:30 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Originally Posted by rincewind
Ah....we have the tracks without barriers or flashy lights. They mainly have Stop signs to prevent you from being hit by a big ol' diesel guzzler.
Ah, so you can get crunched at 5 mph instead of 50! Hehe! Very clever.

No stop signs round here either. Must be a Georgia thing.
Old Nov 29th 2004, 3:40 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
actually i have a driving pet peeve

It drives me bonkers when the person who is in front of me , in a bloody great big SUV practically comes to a complete stop before, in slow motion, they cross over the railway tracks........it's a goddamn SUV you MORON!!
SUVs are actually based on truck chasis's (OK. What the plural of chasis?). Therefore, they're not very comfortable (especially if you ride in the rear seats of a Ford SUV).

So, it's not suprising that the driver slowed down to cross the railroad tracks.

NC Penguin
Old Nov 29th 2004, 3:58 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

My other pet peeve (and I've had it since I've been here and I'm surprised I didn't mention it) is the cost of a bloody bed

I miss classy (that was sarcasm) places such as Argos where you can get a decent bed for around GBP200 or less with a mattress. Here, you see a cheap bed for $399 and it only includes the header and footer and maybe the bed rail if you're lucky.

I hate the bedrails. I like the wooden slats like the English ones to make it feel sturdier.

Then you have to choose a mattress from 100 variations and then realize all your sheets don't fit as you picked a pillow top or the mattress is just too tall.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old Nov 29th 2004, 4:00 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
SUVs are actually based on truck chasis's (OK. What the plural of chasis?). Therefore, they're not very comfortable (especially if you ride in the rear seats of a Ford SUV).

So, it's not suprising that the driver slowed down to cross the railroad tracks.

NC Penguin
Perhaps the driver was also slowing down to make sure that there were no trains coming?

BTW, the plural of chassis is also chassis.
Old Nov 29th 2004, 4:05 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Small but significant peeve for me is that I cannot find instant, single serving soup in sachets in the US.

Back in the UK, there was Campbell Cup-a-Soup (never consumed this. It was too sweet), Knorr sachets (two sachets)...

Maybe it's a regional thing but I cannot find single serving size soups! There are the ones in the pot that you pour hot water over and leave for a few mins but they contain noodles, rice, beans and undesirable ingredients like mechanically separated meats and come in bizarre flavors.

Also, I don't know if the women members have noticed that tights (can't get to grips with pantyhose yet) come in very limited colors in this country? For a country that has more than six varieties of (cow's) milk (none of which I consume BTW), I'm truly surprised that tights come in what appears to be five colors.

I think Sock Shop could make a killing over here!

NC Penguin
Old Nov 29th 2004, 4:56 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

My other pet peeve (and I've had it since I've been here and I'm surprised I didn't mention it) is the cost of a bloody bed
Yeah, I know what you mean...and the cost of a box spring on top...wtf...and no cheesy storage draws under mondo beds
Old Nov 29th 2004, 4:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Small but significant peeve for me is that I cannot find instant, single serving soup in sachets in the US.
I've seen them around hannafords, but they were nasty, too salty, and that was the only real flavour they had in the chicken cup soup.
Old Nov 29th 2004, 4:57 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Also, I don't know if the women members have noticed that tights (can't get to grips with pantyhose yet) come in very limited colors in this country? For a country that has more than six varieties of (cow's) milk (none of which I consume BTW), I'm truly surprised that tights come in what appears to be five colors.

I think Sock Shop could make a killing over here!

NC Penguin
Well....I've had a devil of a time just trying to find some stockings and suspenders (or whatever they're called over here...I think suspenders are what we would call braces for holding up trousers?).

I was in a department store and in their huge lingerie dept. they had just one style of suspenders.....and no stockings at all (I didn't want to bother driving to another mall in case they had them in Victoria's Secret). I wanted to give my husband a nice surprise. Luckily I did have a pair at home which I'd bought in England
Old Nov 29th 2004, 5:02 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Yeah, I know what you mean...and the cost of a box spring on top...wtf...and no cheesy storage draws under mondo beds
Another cost, the box spring
Old Nov 29th 2004, 5:04 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Well....I've had a devil of a time just trying to find some stockings and suspenders (or whatever they're called over here...I think suspenders are what we would call braces for holding up trousers?).

I was in a department store and in their huge lingerie dept. they had just one style of suspenders.....and no stockings at all (I didn't want to bother driving to another mall in case they had them in Victoria's Secret). I wanted to give my husband a nice surprise. Luckily I did have a pair at home which I'd bought in England
I think you might find stockings and suspenders at your nearest sex shop/adult shop. That's my guess.

Either there or on the top shelf at another department store!

NC Penguin
Old Nov 29th 2004, 7:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

I think you might find stockings and suspenders at your nearest sex shop/adult shop. That's my guess.
Freddricks of hollywood online
And victoria secrets.
Old Nov 29th 2004, 7:13 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Another cost, the box spring
Duvets (not filled with goose down. I think they're called 'alternative filling summat' (sic)) and duvet covers are hard to find and the covers, in particular, are pricy.

I visited four stores searching for an elusive duvet cover but most looked like they'd been designed for a boudoir/harem/Elton John (take your pick). Anything that looked pretty contemporary without looking sleazy was costly. e.g. the one that caught my eye was $279! Of course, I didn't buy it but it was a Ralph Lauren (no doubt made in China).

Ended up with a perfectly acceptable duvet cover from Target of all places (I wouldn't have thought to have looked there if it weren't for a colleague who pointed me in the right direction) that cost about $50 or so.

I think I'm going to get my Mum to rustle me up some duvet covers as a Crimbo pressie.

NC Penguin
Old Nov 29th 2004, 8:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

I think I'm going to get my Mum to rustle me up some duvet covers as a Crimbo pressie.
Aye, that's the thing, probably easier and cheaper to knock some up ya self, getting nice material ain't it....weird how hard getting duvet covers are over here...and what's with all the quilts...hmmmm...
Old Nov 29th 2004, 9:08 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Well....I've had a devil of a time just trying to find some stockings and suspenders
Try Nordstrom for stockings; their brand is really nice.
Mail order for everthing else
Old Nov 29th 2004, 9:30 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Duvets (not filled with goose down. I think they're called 'alternative filling summat' (sic)) and duvet covers are hard to find and the covers, in particular, are pricy.

I visited four stores searching for an elusive duvet cover but most looked like they'd been designed for a boudoir/harem/Elton John (take your pick). Anything that looked pretty contemporary without looking sleazy was costly. e.g. the one that caught my eye was $279! Of course, I didn't buy it but it was a Ralph Lauren (no doubt made in China).

Ended up with a perfectly acceptable duvet cover from Target of all places (I wouldn't have thought to have looked there if it weren't for a colleague who pointed me in the right direction) that cost about $50 or so.

Haven't found it hard to find duvets or duvet covers here, but I think that's because we live within an hour's drive of two branches of Ikea.

What I do find strange is that some Americans seem to have a profound distrust of duvets in general. My MIL in particular doesn't seem to like them and thinks they're inherently unhygienic or something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.