Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Wikiposts

Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Old Nov 18th 2004, 9:22 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Originally Posted by Spinneretta
Except the Discworld almanac

Has anyone else noticed an excessive number of policemen watching for speeders over here?

~Spin
Took a 1400 mile trip recently, didn't see one parked police car.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 10:05 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spinneretta
Thank you! I appreciate the welcome

I'm only typing English here... although my husband and I have gotten into some discussions on exactly what constitutes ENGLISH here... I submit that HE speaks AMERICAN and I speak ENGLISH

~Spin
I hate that word! That's my pet peeve!
Old Nov 18th 2004, 10:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
Bloody loads of 'em over here, especially beginning and end of months as they have a quota of tickets to give out a month in maine...
in town, there's always one on the way in, by the lights of the firestation, and then another around the bend...and sometimes really cheeky, a state cop in a blue car under the bridge with lights off...which is rude as cop cars have to have lights on otherwise it's considered entrapment *lmao*
Old Nov 18th 2004, 10:19 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
That is a major peeve, the local Hannafords won't except a passport as ID, they only except drivers license or state ID, so that's a pain, so i don't bother with them for booze...so much a pain in the butt getting booze, even a cheap bottle of wine for cooking....WTF.
bob? why on earth don't you have a drivers licence
Old Nov 18th 2004, 10:26 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

More like "Dude!! So I want up to the dude and I said, 'hey dude' and the dude just looked at me like I was some freakin' dude."

Arrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Wow dude why's that so annoying dude? remind me to send you a copy of bill & ted's excellent adventure dude , it's ex..cell..ent!!!
Old Nov 18th 2004, 10:26 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
Hehe! Now there's a poll question if ever I saw one!
Old Nov 18th 2004, 10:34 am
Franklin

That's because they were hiding behind something! *LOL* Or maybe they had that new 007 technology that renders cars invisible to the naked eye!

Those traffic cops are getting more ingenious by the day! God bless them. I mean to say, it is hard chasing down speedsters while sipping hot coffee while chowing down a row of doughnuts. *LOL* Not fair stereotyping like that.

But has anyone see that chase in the "5th Element" (might be "Fifth Element") starring Bruce Willis and that drop dead gorgeous young lady, the 5th Element! There was a speed chase scene, and yes, one of the cops was chowing down some tucker ... I think they crashed into a doughnut or burger truck ... *bangs head* ... one or the other ...

Old Nov 18th 2004, 10:39 am
Back Again

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Hehe! Now there's a poll question if ever I saw one!
huh?
Old Nov 18th 2004, 11:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
cos u can use a blighty one for 12 months in maine, or until u get permanent resident status...and if the gits wrong, i've got the email *l*
Old Nov 18th 2004, 11:56 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney
But has anyone see that chase in the "5th Element" (might be "Fifth Element") starring Bruce Willis and that drop dead gorgeous young lady, the 5th Element! There was a speed chase scene, and yes, one of the cops was chowing down some tucker ... I think they crashed into a doughnut or burger truck ... *bangs head* ... one or the other ...
Fantastic movie.

GEEK HAT GOES ON

The cops were eating at a floating McDonalds. One of the cops was the captain from Red Dwarf played by (funny enough) Mac McDonald.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 12:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

GEEK HAT GOES ON
Now that's a fan
Old Nov 26th 2004, 9:08 am
Franklin

One major peeve is the cockroaches one gets to see in the good old USofA, all the best hotels have them. But I hate seeing them at work ...

OK ... I was working late one night. Drank too much coffee (again). Went to the loo baby. And yoooooooo, I put the light on ... and WHAM. An absolutely fab (not) Texas size cockroach was on the tiled floor.

Never seen one that big before.

I did not want to squish it because it would such a mess, anyway, it was bigger than my feet. I tryed to grab it with both hands using a forest of paper towels, but despite its enormous size it out foxed me (not that hard to do) and escaped under or rather around a door marked "Janitor".

I am willing to swear the door (marked "Janitor") nearly warped off its hinges as that Texas sized cockroach squeezed and squeezed to get around it. The face of the cockroach reminded me of someone with a Texas twang and Texas walk ... hmmmm ...

Anyway, probably just as well I did not man handle the Texas size cockroach into the loo, might have blocked it ... useless US loos. What is it with them, need to strategize just to have a decent #1.

I don't know what it is, but I can't concentrate on the matter in hand with a cockroach the size of Texas just a few feet away. So I placed the unused paper towels at the side of one of the faucets and beat a hasty retreat. Helped save a forest ...

Epilogue
It's been a week now, and we are still a man down. No one has seen the Janitor. I am having nightmares. Kafka's Metamorphsis. Was that Texas sized cockroach somehow related to the Janitor? Has the janitor done a "Kafka"? Maybe someone should put some food out (the fridge has strangely disappeared, not just the contents, but the entire fridge/freezer).

Two weeks have passed, still no sign of the Janitor (well, not in human form). His wife turned up yesterday. She told us they have been searching the neighborhood, but as her husband's car is still in the parking lot (well, until it got towed) they are not really sure where they should search.

Three weeks have passed, two others have disappeared; not just quit, but vanished. No trace. The offices are emptying out faster than rats leaving a sinking ship. At this rate the office landlord will be paying us to stay.

Five weeks. There have been several sightings now ... of several large cockroaches. CDC have a crew camped inside and around the building. The FBI have jurisdiction of course, but the President is thinking about calling in the Marines. Getting very hairy now.

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Nov 26th 2004 at 9:35 am.

Old Nov 26th 2004, 9:17 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney
One major peeve is the cockroaches one gets to see in the good old USofA, all the best hotels have them. But I hate seeing them at work ...

OK ... I was working late see. Drank too much coffee. Went to the loo baby. And yoooooooo, I put the light on ... and WHAM. An absolutely fab (not) Texas size cockroach was on the tiled floor.

Never seen one that big before.

I did not want to squish it because it would such a mess. I tryed to pick it up (to crush) using a 10 sheet thick set of paper towels, but despite its enormous size it out foxed me (not that hard to do) and escaped under or rather through a door marked "Janitor". I am willing to swear the door (marked "Janitor") nearly warped off its hinges as that Texas sized cockroach squeezed and squeezed to get around it. The face of the cockroach reminded me of someone with a Texas twang and Texas walk ... hmmmm ...

Anyway, probably just as well I did not man handle the Texas size cockroach into the loo, I might have blocked the loo!

To save trees I placed the unused paper towels at the side of one of the faucets and beat a hasty retreat. I don't know what it is, but I can't concentrate on the matter in hand with a cockroach the size of Texas just a few feet away.
Where did this memorable incident occur? In IL? VA? Elsewhere in the US?

NC Penguin
Old Nov 26th 2004, 9:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Hehe...well another pet hate, happens everywhere I guess, but notice it more here, people driving like loons in the fog, and it was really foggy yesterday, could hardly see a few metres in front of self, yet people were still doing 55mph...and some didn't even have lights, and I think that's more annoying, not having lights on unless it's night time...wtf...
Old Nov 26th 2004, 9:32 am
You Are All Diseased

The best ones are the flying ones. Water Bugs as my wife calls them.

You go in the bathroom, see this monstrous thing looking at you, daring you to touch it. Then, like any cool man, you throw a shoe at it from a distance only to have it lift off and head in your direction like something out of Aliens.

The bugs suck in the USA but at least most of them piss off in the winter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.