British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

eanne06 Jul 15th 2011 11:25 pm

Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 9498285)
I see no reason why they should even demand this. You are claiming British citizenship from your father and you only need to show that he was legally married to your mother at the time of your birth. If they divorced afterwards it is irrelevant to your eligibility for British citizenship.

So go back to the Embassy and ask them why they are asking for something that does not have any bearing on your eligibility for a British passport. If whoever you speak to reads from a script and says "it's the rules" then he or she is wrong and demand to speak to a manager/supervisor. If that doesn't work, call the Foreign Office Nationality and Consular Registration Division in London - +44 20 70081500.

I don't understand it either, but they called me directly from the Passport office. This document isn't asked for at all on the ukinusa page. I sent my father's copy as additional support. I'll call that number and hopefully be told otherwise. I am glad that they at least started processing my app though.

JAJ Jul 15th 2011 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by eanne06 (Post 9498302)
I don't understand it either, but they called me directly from the Passport office. This document isn't asked for at all on the ukinusa page. I sent my father's copy as additional support. I'll call that number and hopefully be told otherwise. I am glad that they at least started processing my app though.

Don't assume that everyone in the passport office is sufficiently trained on nationality law.

Bottom line is that you cannot provide what you don't have so they either need to issue your passport or issue you a formal refusal explaining the basis of why they are unwilling to do so. If they don't think you're a British citizen then they had better be able to explain why not and if they need any help on the nationality law, they ought to be calling the Home Office Nationality Directorate in Liverpool rather than making things up as they go along.

And if they do refuse your passport, they should expect a call from the Foreign Office in London as you will obviously escalate it to them.

This is one of the reasons why applying for a Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode is often preferable to getting a passport - there is less chance of unreasonable refusal. Not least because there is a formal right of appeal.

Saro Jul 16th 2011 4:04 pm

I've been lurking here for a long time but never posted. I sent off my application for a first time passport back in March and still nothing.

Received in DC: March 17
Payment taken: April 15

I finally broke down and called Careline yesterday, only to find out it was now free. They told me they had no record of me in the system! :blink: Please tell me that doesn't mean they've lost my application! I have visions of it wedged between two filing cabinets never to be seen again. Supposedly I'll get a call next week, but we'll see.

The funny thing is, when I applied I thought I had done everything correctly, and surely that meant it wouldn't take the full 6-8 weeks. That was 17 weeks ago...

FredCDobbs Jul 16th 2011 5:18 pm

[QUOTE=BellaE;9497489]"Due to the delays in passport processing there will be no additional charges for using this service. However, your telephone service provider will charge for an international call."

"I don't suppose those of us who paid will be getting refunds!"
----------------------------

Contest the charges through your credit card company. That's what I'm doing.

BellaE Jul 16th 2011 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Saro (Post 9499280)
I've been lurking here for a long time but never posted. I sent off my application for a first time passport back in March and still nothing.

The funny thing is, when I applied I thought I had done everything correctly, and surely that meant it wouldn't take the full 6-8 weeks. That was 17 weeks ago...

That's really awful. I hope they find it -- if you don't hear back from them soon, call again.

midmod Jul 16th 2011 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Saro (Post 9499280)

I finally broke down and called Careline yesterday, only to find out it was now free. They told me they had no record of me in the system! :blink: Please tell me that doesn't mean they've lost my application! I have visions of it wedged between two filing cabinets never to be seen again. Supposedly I'll get a call next week, but we'll see.

No record of you in the system. I was told that there was "no tracking of my application on the computer" Same thing? Why are some told they will receive a call and others will only be called if there is a problem? 17 weeks....Yikes!

katiemoon Jul 17th 2011 5:02 pm

<snip>

My reply if you're reading these dean:

Hi Dean,

Many thanks for your reply and advice.
Apologies for not replying sooner - as you may imagine, I was frantically busy trying to sort out an ETD as I was supposed to travel to the US on 3 July (I had to fly to Vancouver on 4 July and then travel overland to the US (was told I couldn't fly due to being unable to complete online ESTA) and found that the ETD is NOT accepted by US Immigration ANYWHERE as it isn't an electronically readable document. :confused:
Fortunately I was very kindly given a visa waiver (and the $500 fee waived :ohmy: ) by the Chief Immigration officer at his own discretion, so was able to complete my journey - at great additional expense due to the detour to Vancouver on a holiday weekend!

I have still not received my new passport and may have to travel again - this time to the UK and France, so I will contact the Consulate about getting the p/port app escalated as you suggest, to try and get my passport soon.
Many thanks again

Good luck to everyone still waiting

ian-mstm Jul 17th 2011 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by katiemoon (Post 9501028)
... got the following pm from Dean on 1 July but unable to send a reply by pm

It seems he has turned off his PM feature. I don't blame him.

Ian

Jerseygirl Jul 17th 2011 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9501385)
It seems he has turned off his PM feature. I don't blame him.

Ian

Dean's away for a while...that's probably the reason.

edwardyuen Jul 18th 2011 3:34 am

I have heard about a lot of lucky cases. I have just made a phone call to Careline. Yes, it is now free but you still get charged by your long distance phone service provider for charges.

Anyway, I just talked to Pauline at Careline.
My timeline:
May 10 - sent my application
May 13 - DC received my package
June 9 - payment get processed

And now, according to Pauline, it will take 10 weeks from June 9 for me to get my passport, which would be the week of August 22 for me to receive my passport -- or three months after I sent in my application. I asked if there is anyway they can expedite the application, and was told there is no way they could. I am wondering is there anything I could do so I can get my passport faster?

aml1982 Jul 18th 2011 11:09 am

Originally Posted by edwardyuen (Post 9501739)
I have heard about a lot of lucky cases. I have just made a phone call to Careline. Yes, it is now free but you still get charged by your long distance phone service provider for charges.

Anyway, I just talked to Pauline at Careline.
My timeline:
May 10 - sent my application
May 13 - DC received my package
June 9 - payment get processed

And now, according to Pauline, it will take 10 weeks from June 9 for me to get my passport, which would be the week of August 22 for me to receive my passport -- or three months after I sent in my application. I asked if there is anyway they can expedite the application, and was told there is no way they could. I am wondering is there anything I could do so I can get my passport faster?

Well, if you need your passport urgently, they can expedite applications and they have done in the past. Do you have some sort of travel booked before August 22nd, or are you just keen to get your stuff back?

sselbie Jul 18th 2011 3:27 pm

Well, After 9 weeks today I finally got my passport!

That was 3 Careline calls,
2 letters to the Embassy,
3 e-mails to the Consulate,
but eventually it was my local MP that did the deed!...One contact to them and the next day they were on it and my Passport was being sent by UPS!

Of course who is going to cover the 9 weeks in loss of wage and interest on bills I couldn't cover!....

It'll take me another few months to catch up but I am glad that I am back in control of my life!

edwardyuen Jul 18th 2011 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by aml1982 (Post 9502256)
Well, if you need your passport urgently, they can expedite applications and they have done in the past. Do you have some sort of travel booked before August 22nd, or are you just keen to get your stuff back?

I followed the "instruction" on the Web site about not getting my ticket until I have my passport. However, my travel plan has been postponed twice now because of all the passport delay :(

giggimickey Jul 18th 2011 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by sselbie (Post 9502728)
Well, After 9 weeks today I finally got my passport!

That was 3 Careline calls,
2 letters to the Embassy,
3 e-mails to the Consulate,
but eventually it was my local MP that did the deed!...One contact to them and the next day they were on it and my Passport was being sent by UPS!

Of course who is going to cover the 9 weeks in loss of wage and interest on bills I couldn't cover!....

It'll take me another few months to catch up but I am glad that I am back in control of my life!

Hi Sselbie,

Can you tell me was that 9 weeks from payment taken that you received your passport?

sselbie Jul 18th 2011 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by giggimickey (Post 9502806)
Hi Sselbie,

Can you tell me was that 9 weeks from payment taken that you received your passport?

No That was 9 weeks total