British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

Shazban Jul 20th 2011 9:28 pm

Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by just_jenn (Post 9507650)
Just popping in to see how things were working out for folks. Glad to see you got your passports, Shazban! Did yours arrive yet, aml?

Good luck to everyone else waiting!

Thanks so much just-jenn It's been a week and I'm still overjoyed :D

Now it's time to get down to some serious packing. Only 3 weeks before we are home for good :thumbsup:

ian-mstm Jul 20th 2011 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by nursefoxfire (Post 9507653)
For example, here in the Dallas area, I'd have to go to the UK Embassy in Houston for Emergency Travel documents (and we'd all have to apply in person).

Just to clarify for you and the others, there is only one UK Embassy in the US... and it's in Washington, DC. Everything else is a UK Consulate. :)

Ian

vanfan1 Jul 21st 2011 1:50 am

Yes! Got my passport, thank you Green Team!!! I doubt I would have it had I not found this thread and persisited in calling Careline till I got the escalation. Hang in there guys, you'll get yours!

Magicmickey Jul 21st 2011 3:52 am

Hi I sent my passport application in on the 27th of April, CC charge was taken on the 1st of June and I still don't have my passports and I am traveling to the UK in one week!!!!!! Have called Careline twice now and the fist lady said she would send an email to Washington and I should hear something in 3 days, guess what.......nothing. Called tonight.....see now that there is no charge.....and was told that my passport has not been processed yet and that as it is 5 working days till I travel they now have to advise people to call the consulate for an emergency travel document. I see some people have got passports back in less time than mine, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to how they are processed. Will be calling care line for the next 7 days, maybe they will get sick of me and do something about it.......NOT!!!!!!!!

nursefoxfire Jul 21st 2011 4:10 am

Originally Posted by aml1982 (Post 9507761)
How old is your son? The rules around passing citizenship from British fathers to children when the mother is not British are a little more complicated and change depending on when the child was born. I ask because if he is 5 or older (born before July 1st 2006), it does make a difference to eligibility. IIRC, since your husband is a UK citizen and you are not, you would have to prove that you were married at the time of your son's birth. If your little one was born after July 2006, then so long as your husband's name is on the birth certificate, it shouldn't really have made any difference.

Good point. However, my son is only 4. We especially wanted to clarify that to the Consulate, and they STILL didn't care, and required all the additional paperwork. So treat us as a cautionary tale: others with young children may run into this problem :)

nursefoxfire Jul 21st 2011 4:11 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9508016)
Just to clarify for you and the others, there is only one UK Embassy in the US... and it's in Washington, DC. Everything else is a UK Consulate. :)

Ian

My mistake, brain is foggy :)

sueffun Jul 21st 2011 9:53 am

Is it only free for people in the US? I phoned them on Tuesday this week and had a huge argument about having to pay for the call as it was for my mum who has applied for a FREE war vets passport that they got the application for on March 8th and she still hasn't got it.

I told them she didn't have a credit card and how was she supposed to find out what was going on, even the supervisor couldn't help without payment first.

pinheadbal Jul 21st 2011 12:49 pm

I've been reading this forum for weeks and just registered to share my experience.

UK passport renewal. Expired since 02/10.
Travelling to Scotland on August 14th.

June 1st - Received in Washington.
July 1st - Credit card charged.
July 18th - Called careline - told I would be called back in 72 hours. Given a case number with no R.
July 21st - Called careline again after not receiving a callback. Told that my passport had been printed the day before and that I should receive it today.

Good luck to anyone who's still waiting!

robbytnyc Jul 21st 2011 5:07 pm

Hi All,
Thanks for the great info posted on here. It's been very helpful.

Can anyone comment on the following scenario?
- I mailed my passport application on 6/28 via USPS
- confirmed via USPS website the package was delivered in Washington on 6/30
- Yesterday I received a return receipt from the USPS and that was stamped by the British Passport office with a date on 7/18.

So, my application was delivered on 6/30 by USPS but made it to whomever in the British Passport office in Washington that accepts packages and stamped on 7/18. Is the clock ticking as of 6/30 or 7/18? Anyone know?

Thanks!
- Rob

Jerseygirl Jul 21st 2011 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by robbytnyc (Post 9509971)
Hi All,
Thanks for the great info posted on here. It's been very helpful.

Can anyone comment on the following scenario?
- I mailed my passport application on 6/28 via USPS
- confirmed via USPS website the package was delivered in Washington on 6/30
- Yesterday I received a return receipt from the USPS and that was stamped by the British Passport office with a date on 7/18.

So, my application was delivered on 6/30 by USPS but made it to whomever in the British Passport office in Washington that accepts packages and stamped on 7/18. Is the clock ticking as of 6/30 or 7/18? Anyone know?

Thanks!
- Rob

It see to be from the date payment is taken from your credit card...which could take a few weeks.

Zinfan Jul 21st 2011 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by midmod (Post 9507851)
Excellent news. Have a good trip, enjoy that wine!

I am planning on that, thanks!

Rach123 Jul 21st 2011 7:40 pm

Hi All,

Just thought I would post my timeline so far, and keep you updated.

Fortunately for me, I have not booked any travel yet. We wanted to fly back to see my parents in September, but I am not expecting any miracles.

Due to my marriage, I decided to change my name on my passport, and of course that meant a renewal!

Although I was married over a year ago, I just put off getting it changed, as I didnt need it right then....of course when I decided to actually do something about it, there is a ridiculas backlog!!

So, I sent off my documents on June 22nd.

Recieved on June 24th (which was a Friday, so I knew that it wouldnt even be looked at before the following Monday!)

Credit Card charged on July 18th.....

Thats it for now, so I estimate around 10 weeks from now going by all of the previous posts, but who knows!

Magicmickey Jul 21st 2011 10:07 pm

Called care line again today and spoke to a very nice gentleman who said that he would send an escalation request to the Washington office with my flight details etc. As there is only 5 days until I am supposed to fly and two of those are a weekend I am not holding out much hope, will keep you posted!!!! Am still at a loss at the order in which they process received applications, just saw someones post who's application wasn't received until June 1st, the day my CC was charged, theirs not charge until the 1st of July but it looks like their passport is on the way to them already!!!!! I am glad that someone is receiving passports, but with only 5 days to go, wish it was me :)

StephieFaith83 Jul 21st 2011 11:55 pm

Got my passport today!

They got my old passport on May 5th and charged my card on June 8th. 12 weeks from start to finish, pretty ridiculous if you ask me...

They have also kept my ORIGINAL Decree Absolute, how do I go about getting this back?

sueffun Jul 22nd 2011 2:02 pm

Careline actually phoned me today to say my Mothers passport was ready and was sent via Fedex last week. Mmm shouldn't take over a week to get to my house when it only took one day when they picked it up. Hope it hasn't got lost. I asked if Careline was now free worldwide and they didn't know!!!