Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Over in August

Over in August

Old Mar 31st 2008, 8:45 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over in August

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Will they get in-state fees at college age?
I know in PA you have to have PR status.
In Florida after one year ..I seem to recall ..
Old Mar 31st 2008, 8:48 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
In Florida after one year ..I seem to recall ..
California used to be the same but they changed it a couple of years ago. Now it's out of state fees for non-citizens without green cards.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

In my opinion a happy emigrant is one who has more to go to and less to leave behind. If you are happy enough where you are that you would only consider leaving for Florida, then you might want to reconsider how much you really want to leave.
Expats are another story, you can be happy about your short-term relocation and be looking forward to going back. An E2 visa might work as a short-term (and by that I mean 5-10 years instead of permanent) option for you. If you are talking about permanently coming here with no intention of returning to the UK then obviously the E2 isn't going to work.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Hannahlou is just really niceHannahlou is just really niceHannahlou is just really niceHannahlou is just really niceHannahlou is just really niceHannahlou is just really niceHannahlou is just really niceHannahlou is just really nice

Thanks for all the advice guys, looks very bleak doesn't it really. Have got a long road ahead whatever we decide to do. We just bored with everything about the Uk I suppose. Weather is Naff, generally people are becoming very rude and inconsiderate to others. Its getting very expensive full stop, however we are quite fortunate that we do not have any debts around our ears. My husband owns his own business that he wants to maybe wind down alittle as we hardly spend time as a family. So wanted to try and improve our quality of life together in a place that we really love. I know that we have only been to States on holiday and are only seeing it from a tourist point of view but is that not how it all starts?

Anyway thats our dream permission to shoot me if Im wrong!!!
Old Apr 1st 2008, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hannahlou
Thanks for all the advice guys, looks very bleak doesn't it really. Have got a long road ahead whatever we decide to do. We just bored with everything about the Uk I suppose. Weather is Naff, generally people are becoming very rude and inconsiderate to others. Its getting very expensive full stop, however we are quite fortunate that we do not have any debts around our ears. My husband owns his own business that he wants to maybe wind down alittle as we hardly spend time as a family. So wanted to try and improve our quality of life together in a place that we really love. I know that we have only been to States on holiday and are only seeing it from a tourist point of view but is that not how it all starts?

Anyway thats our dream permission to shoot me if Im wrong!!!
Weather is naff, yep it is - although have you been to Florida in the summer as that's not for everyone.

People rude and inconsiderate - the US is all about me, me, me. Seriously most people couldn't care less about anyone other then themselves and their family.

Expensive - yes, but a lot of things that you spend money on day to day is the same. Grocery shopping is certainly no cheaper. Utility bills are expensive and when you have to live somewhere where you need AC on all day you will find this is a huge monthly bill. You will have to pay out health insurance for your family each month which will probably end up being over $1,000. This will go up if you actually go the doctors.

You may be able to come over here and get a bigger house and more stuff, but its not going to help you wind down at work, being a startup I imagine it would be the complete opposite.

Having said all this, if you could get a decent visa and had a route to a green card I would still say go for it if you want a risk. But do not even consider it on an E-2.

If you want somewhere with better weather why don't you visit Oz and see whether you feel at home there.

Last edited by Longy; Apr 1st 2008 at 11:35 am.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 12:12 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hannahlou
My husband owns his own business that he wants to maybe wind down alittle as we hardly spend time as a family. So wanted to try and improve our quality of life together in a place that we really love.

That might be another reson why not to come to Florida on an E2. Chances are you'll be working harder longer hours than ever before. Here's some views on time off by other E2 visa holders...http://www.thefloridaforums.com/foru...=6924.msg67361
Old Apr 1st 2008, 12:24 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
That might be another reson why not to come to Florida on an E2. Chances are you'll be working harder longer hours than ever before. Here's some views on time off by other E2 visa holders...http://www.thefloridaforums.com/foru...=6924.msg67361
My OH works much longer hours here and gets very little vacation time

However we have learned the American art of packing two weeks holiday into a weekend.

Hannahlou.......you shouldn't give up if it is your dream, although you may find it very hard to make it come true.
Be very aware of all the negatives of living here, as others have said.

You may love living here and make a huge success of it. Other peoples negatives might be your positives.
Sometimes if you are where you want to be, work doesn't always seem like work.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
My OH works much longer hours here and gets very little vacation time

However we have learned the American art of packing two weeks holiday into a weekend.

Hannahlou.......you shouldn't give up if it is your dream, although you may find it very hard to make it come true.
Be very aware of all the negatives of living here, as others have said.

You may love living here and make a huge success of it. Other peoples negatives might be your positives.
Sometimes if you are where you want to be, work doesn't always seem like work.
Very true! All of it!
Old Apr 1st 2008, 5:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

just a thought, even if you pull it off, but schools? generally regarded as pretty wank in FL...some good ones, but hardly the trend.