Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Over in August

Over in August

Old Mar 31st 2008, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Hannahlou is just really niceHannahlou is just really niceHannahlou is just really niceHannahlou is just really niceHannahlou is just really niceHannahlou is just really niceHannahlou is just really niceHannahlou is just really nice
Talking Over in August

Hi everyone,

Not been on this site long but think that it is fab. We are hopefully looking to move over in the near future. Sooo many Visas to look at and find which one is best for us as a family. Anyway we are over in Aug for 1 month on yet another holiday to FL, cant get enough of the place!! Would anyone have any advice on people to see or places to go to discuss about moving over. Also any places that you would recommend seeing whilst we are over that we may have overlooked on previous visits. Oh just one more thing what are your particular preferrences on areas to live out there. We have been recommended Fort Myers, Destin or Fort Lauderdale b???
Old Mar 31st 2008, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Over in August

Originally Posted by Hannahlou
Sooo many Visas to look at and find which one is best for us as a family.
So do you actually have one in mind? Most people don't have one visa to choose from, nevermind many.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 5:45 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Not been on this site long but think that it is fab. We are hopefully looking to move over in the near future. Sooo many Visas to look at and find which one is best for us as a family. Anyway we are over in Aug for 1 month on yet another holiday to FL, cant get enough of the place!! Would anyone have any advice on people to see or places to go to discuss about moving over. Also any places that you would recommend seeing whilst we are over that we may have overlooked on previous visits. Oh just one more thing what are your particular preferrences on areas to live out there. We have been recommended Fort Myers, Destin or Fort Lauderdale b???
Are you sure you have the right country? This is the US forum.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 5:56 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hannahlou,
Looking back I see that your past posts have been derailed and you're not really getting the answer to your question. I'm afraid if you're serious about US immigration, you're going to have to press a bit here and stick with your threads.

What have you learned so far about visas? Like Longy said, have you narrowed it down yet? It's starting to look like investment options are your only channel.
One of those visa is aprticularly poor for people with children, especially the ages of yours.

You may need to narrow down your living preference to where you CAN go instead of where you like the best.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Oh just one more thing what are your particular preferrences on areas to live out there. We have been recommended Fort Myers, Destin or Fort Lauderdale b???
Unless you are well on your way to obtaining visas, you are ahead of yourselves. There's little point in picking out places to live if you don't have a realistic chance of moving there. What visas do you think you are eligible for? Unless you are extraordinarily fortunate, the list will be short. Have you had a consultation with an immigration lawyer in the UK yet?
Old Mar 31st 2008, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

Hannahlou is just really niceHannahlou is just really niceHannahlou is just really niceHannahlou is just really niceHannahlou is just really niceHannahlou is just really niceHannahlou is just really niceHannahlou is just really nice

Havent spoke to anyone yet! sorry if I sound a bit simple.
Looking at the visa's the only ones that we may have a chance with are the investors or there may be a possibility of my husband moving his business over to the US if it can be done. Like I said we are in the very early stages and just wanted some info of experienced people so we knew where to start. As for looking at alternatives to the USA we really dont want to go anywhere else.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 6:26 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at the visa's the only ones that we may have a chance with are the investors or there may be a possibility of my husband moving his business over to the US if it can be done. Like I said we are in the very early stages and just wanted some info of experienced people so we knew where to start. As for looking at alternatives to the USA we really dont want to go anywhere else.
why Florida?
Old Mar 31st 2008, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

Have been lots of times and really feel at home. Does that sound silly. I'm sure lots of you have places that you could recommend due to your own experiences.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 6:46 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

......I'm sure lots of you have places that you could recommend due to your own experiences.
Indeed
Old Mar 31st 2008, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

You really need to go and see an Immigration Attorney - there is really no point in looking around for places to live if you are not in a position to get a visa - just enjoy your holiday.

And if you are looking at the E-2....

The E-2 has no path to a green card - you will have to leave if the business goes under or they decide to not renew your visa

You will be taking your kids away from everything they know to being foreigners in US schools - this is not always easy for kids

Unless they secure their own visas by 21 they will have to return to the UK - at which point they would be leaving everything they know again to return to try and get a job in the UK having not lived there for years and having a US education.

To give you hope, there is a chance perhaps your kids can secure their own visas and one day naturalise and perhaps they could then sponsor you to get green cards, but there is certainly no guarantee of this and who knows how hard it may be to adjust and naturalise in 10-15 years time.

In summary unless you have a path to green cards for you and your family just don't do it!

Apologies for being negative, but the E-2 and kids do not mix!
Old Mar 31st 2008, 6:48 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elvira
Indeed
Old Mar 31st 2008, 6:50 pm
Account Closed

Hi everyone,

awww just to say good luck....it's not looking good but hope you make it
Old Mar 31st 2008, 6:53 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
awww just to say good luck....it's not looking good but hope you make it
Hm.

Bearing in mind their limited visa options, and the fact that they have kids, I actually hope they don't...

Though I commend you for your sentiment - heart in the right spot and all that.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 6:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Elvira
Hm.

Bearing in mind their limited visa options, and the fact that they have kids, I actually hope they don't...

Though I commend you for your sentiment - heart in the right spot and all that.
yep living here is totally different than visiting during school hols as we know but they have a dream and i hope it comes true.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 7:18 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Read number 8 ...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=Survive

I would not mind a dollar for every florida tourist who after a visit wants to live here ..
beleive me a as Florida resident the two do not compare ...

You only see the one side ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.