Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Non Immigrant Gun Law (Florida)

Non Immigrant Gun Law (Florida)

Old Jul 17th 2011, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non Immigrant Gun Law (Florida)

Unless you have something in writing from the ATF and then run it by your local sherrif do not buy a gun. To try to interprit ATF regulations does not work. As mentioned in previous thread fireams violations can result in deportation and a permanent ban from the USA
Old Jul 18th 2011, 9:16 am
Just Joined

vcns is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to all those who took time to respond.

Again the debate continues. But in summary, it appears that unless you have a hunting license an FFL wont touch you even after 90 days residence on non immigrant staus (business visa L1a).

One person mentioned a private purchase, I suspect they mean buy at the more relaxed gun shows, but I evetually want to have a concealed carry permit so I want to be totally legal.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

ALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by vcns

Again the debate continues. But in summary, it appears that unless you have a hunting license an FFL wont touch you even after 90 days residence on non immigrant staus (business visa L1a).

One person mentioned a private purchase, I suspect they mean buy at the more relaxed gun shows, but I evetually want to have a concealed carry permit so I want to be totally legal.

Good Luck with your quest but please remember you can not get a CCP unless you are a US citizen or a LPR with a green card

Regards

Alan
Old Jul 18th 2011, 12:56 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

no!! I mean outside any gun show where private seller await
or any of the ads in the newspapers everyday ..I sell a few guns privately every year ..but i do insist on a carry permit ..many seller dont

But i agree if you want a carry permit you need a green card first
Old Jul 19th 2011, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Gun shows are not more relaxed in applying these rulers. Dealers who are selling guns at gun shows are subject to the same licensing and sales rules as a brick and mortar store. Private sellers of their own personal firearms are not, and those you might find at gun shows. Personally, I'm staying away from shows these days, because they're just lousy with ATF agents trying to set up stings, illegals trying to get their mitts on on cheap garbage and sellers of beef jerky and sparkly baubles.
If you do find somebody who's willing to purchase a gun for you, it's an ATF agent setting you up for circumventing the restrictions in place, i.e. a straw purchase. And if it's not an ATF agent, then the other person will think that you are one trying to set him up.
You may however buy a gun from somebody who happens to own one.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 11:29 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
Those attending international shooting competitions bring their weapons with them.
Doesn't matter, being in possession of a firearm is being in possession of a firearm. Look it up if you want, 18 USC 922(y). No difference under Federal or State law, if you acquire from a dealer as a non-immigrant alien or import one as a non-immigrant alien, you're still a non-immigrant alien in possession of a firearm. The only difference is you fill in a Form 6NIA to import, a Form 4473 to acquire.

Come down here and put it to the test.
Used to live in Florida. I have actually done this, not talking off the top of my head.

No gun dealer that I've had any interaction with will sell a handgun or shot gun to anyone other than a USC or LPR. I don't doubt your evidence and statutes - but they don't work in practice and it's the dealer who ultimately decides who he is going to do business with.
Hence my comment that the OP should get it in writing from FDLE if he's having a major problem finding a dealer who will sell him a gun.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 11:55 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Again the debate continues.
Contrary to what other people may be posting, it's not a debate, read the instructions for form 4473 that I posted and also Chapter 790 F.S.

But in summary, it appears that unless you have a hunting license an FFL wont touch you even after 90 days residence on non immigrant staus (business visa L1a).
So just get one, it can be a licence from any State. It's not hard.

Private transaction with a resident of Florida still means you must have been resident for 90 days and have a hunting licence. The hunting licence requirement is a Federal law, ANY non-immigrant alien in the United States basically must have one to touch ANY firearm, period. Some rental ranges will ask to see it, some will not, but you as the NIA commit the offence if you don't have one. The only other common exception is if you have a valid match entry form for an organized target shooting competition (which is meaningless if you reside in the US, that's basically for short-term visitors only) so the 4473 doesn't mention it. 18 USC 922(y)(2)(A), look it up. There was a drafting error when they wrote it which mentions you must have a visa, the regulations clarify that "visa" means any alien who entered in a non-immigrant category.

You CANNOT get a carry permit unless you are a citizen or LPR, Ch. 790.06 F.S. I suspect this is where the confusion is coming in with the dealers you have spoken to.

(2) The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services shall issue a license if the applicant:
(a) Is a resident of the United States and a citizen of the United States or a permanent resident alien of the United States, as determined by the United States Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services, or is a consular security official of a foreign government that maintains diplomatic relations and treaties of commerce, friendship, and navigation with the United States and is certified as such by the foreign government and by the appropriate embassy in this country;
Like I keep saying, get it in writing from FDLE or the AG's office if you must.