Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travel on H1B Visa

Travel on H1B Visa

Old Jul 18th 2011, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

Essexgirl23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel on H1B Visa

Hi! I'm a Brit working in the USA on an H1B visa. My mum is coming to visit in September and we hope to take a trip to Canada. Do I need any additional paperwork/visa to travel? I have a UK passport with a valid H1B. Any advice would be much appreciated as trying to contact the embassy in impossible!
Old Jul 18th 2011, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel on H1B Visa

All you need is your passport with the H1-B visa in it to get back into the US.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 4:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
and the same job!

The mum will need ESTA filled out first too.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice! My mum has an ESTA just to get into the USA from the UK, will she need another one to get into Canada?
Old Jul 19th 2011, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

cyrus1341 is an unknown quantity at this point

No she will be fine if she has a UK Passport!
Old Jul 19th 2011, 4:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Essexgirl23
Thanks for the advice! My mum has an ESTA just to get into the USA from the UK, will she need another one to get into Canada?
Do it just the once, it's good for a couple of years I think, as long as none of the answers change in that period.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

I shouldn't need an ESTA as I have a visa. Is that correct?!
Old Jul 19th 2011, 4:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

correct.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 4:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Correct.

Rene
Old Jul 19th 2011, 5:14 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Coming back in to the US by a land border, she will need to go inside and pay the fee (?$6) for her new I-94W.
She probably won't get a green I-94W card on her flight in to the US, but I believe they're still doing them at the land crossing.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

and the document numbered something like 797-C ?

The piece of paper that confirms your visa.

Hubby was asked for it several times when travelling on his H1B.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

Oh I need a 797-C?! How do I get one?
Old Jul 19th 2011, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I need a 797-C?! How do I get one?
You should already have it. The "letter" that was given to you when the H1B visa was approved/placed in your passport.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
and the document numbered something like 797-C ?

The piece of paper that confirms your visa.

Hubby was asked for it several times when travelling on his H1B.
Things may have changed, but during all of the time that I traveled in and out of the US on an H1-B visa I was never asked to show anything other than the visa itself.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

We popped into Canada last month (June 2011) on my H1B visa and there were no issues on entry or return. They just asked whether I still worked for the same company.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.