Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Newcastle to Portland

Wikiposts

Newcastle to Portland

Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

RubyTD has much to be proud ofRubyTD has much to be proud ofRubyTD has much to be proud ofRubyTD has much to be proud ofRubyTD has much to be proud ofRubyTD has much to be proud ofRubyTD has much to be proud ofRubyTD has much to be proud ofRubyTD has much to be proud ofRubyTD has much to be proud ofRubyTD has much to be proud of
Default Re: Newcastle to Portland

I would be happy to bring you what you want but don't know if you are near to my dauhgter?
Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

RubyTD has much to be proud ofRubyTD has much to be proud ofRubyTD has much to be proud ofRubyTD has much to be proud ofRubyTD has much to be proud ofRubyTD has much to be proud ofRubyTD has much to be proud ofRubyTD has much to be proud ofRubyTD has much to be proud ofRubyTD has much to be proud ofRubyTD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by farmerwife
Hi Ruby - and welcome to BE.

I've been here - Caprial's Bistro - in Sellwood (not downtown though).
They have a cooking show on TV. Check out their menu online -

http://www.caprialandjohnskitchen.com/bistro/index.html

Depending which side or town your daughter lives may make a difference. What suburb?
Also McMenamins' Black Rabbit at Edgewater is enjoyable - a bit of a drive to the east. An interesting spot!
she lives on naegeli drive which is south east portland I think?
Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RubyTD
clever me, thank you jersey girl an to matt and to lesleie and the farmers wife and to maeuxna. the options for replying are a bit confusing.
If you want to reply to multiple posts hit the small tab next to the quote tab on all the posts you wish to reply to. Then hit the quote button. You will see all the posts in the box when you type out your reply.

BTW don't upset Ray and he doesn't like smilies.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If you want to reply to multiple posts hit the small tab next to the quote tab on all the posts you wish to reply to. Then hit the quote button. You will see all the posts in the box when you type out your reply.

blimey this is hard. how did you get the dancing mouse????
Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

blimey this is hard. how did you get the dancing mouse????
Ray gave it to me. You have to be a premium member to have an animated avatar.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MattOR
First off - welcome in advance to Portland.

The Alameda brew pub at 4675 NE Fremont has great food.
Gustav's at 50th and NE Sandy has a limited menu but is very good.
Il Piato at 2348 SE Ankeny has excellent Italian fare.

Lots of higher end places downtown and in the Pearl District (check out -http://portland.citysearch.com/find/section/portland/restaurants.html).

For something completely different you could try the Mount Hood Railroad (www.mounthoodrailroad.com). This is a two-hour out-and-back scenic train ride where they serve brunch (or dinner on the evening train). It leaves out of Hood River, a town 60-miles east of Portland so requires a car to get to it. Well worth it though as the food is excellent and the views of Mount Hood are stunning. Treated my folks to a Sunday brunch trip the last time they came to visit and they were not dissapointed.

Have a great trip!
Originally Posted by Ray
Originally Posted by MattOR
Ooops... Thanks.
Ruby if you use the 'Quote' tab located at the bottom right of the post you are replying to we can see who you are referring to.
thanks for the info matt
Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ray
thank you ray
Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
NW 21st Ave actually.
Yum. One of my favorite fancy-night-out eats.

hiya Leslie! Long time no see
I need to go to sleep now, but will check this again tomorrow. good night all
Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

she lives on naegeli drive which is south east portland I think?
goodnight. speak tomorrow.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 12:09 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

which is south east portland I think?
hi Ruby,

Yes, we can all see your posts--anyone in the world can, so don't put too much personal info about where everyone lives and all that.

If you want to send a Private Message to someone, click on their name and select the option there. Then you will be able to message without everyone reading it.
You can access your own Private Messages from the link in the top right hand side of the page.
This page might help you learn how to use the forum a bit: http://britishexpats.com/forum/faq.php?faq=vb_faq

You can see on the right hand side of our posts that some people have their location listed (so you know some of the Oregon answerers). I also live in Portland. My husband is from the south coast, not Newcastle, but he still talks funny. <g>

This is another beautiful place the two of you might want to visit while you are here: http://www.mcmenamins.com/index.php?loc=3
I haven't eaten at this particular McMenamin's Pub, but it's quite upscale. We'd all be happy to chime in with ideas of things you can do while here.. Portland is a friendly place!

mo
Old Aug 21st 2007, 2:27 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
NW 21st Ave actually.
Yum. One of my favorite fancy-night-out eats.

hiya Leslie! Long time no see
Hellooooo you gorgeous beast

I lived on NW 23rd street for a couple of years and I still miss that "park and walk" culture. I think the OP should take her daughter to Marakesh.

Do you know the name of the refurbished theater I'm talking about? It was so gorgeous and right down there somewhere.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 4:54 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Hellooooo you gorgeous beast

I lived on NW 23rd street for a couple of years and I still miss that "park and walk" culture. I think the OP should take her daughter to Marakesh.

Do you know the name of the refurbished theater I'm talking about? It was so gorgeous and right down there somewhere.
Must be the fabulous Cinema 21: http://www.cinema21.com/

Park and walk culture?! You must be dreaming.. it's more like drive and drive and drive and drive and then maybe park 25 blocks-from-where-you-were-hoping-for now. Some of us call it NW Trendy Third Ave when we're being cute (my first-ever apartment on my own was at 23rd & Glisan.. 5th floor penthouse on a hill, it was *amazing* as the kids these days say....).

Some say that NW is the most densely populated piece of urban real estate (er, it wouldn't be urban otherwise, right?) west of NYC, but I wouldn't really know for a fact. It's still a cool 'hood, but the big box retailers have changed the boutique-y feel. And Music Millenium is closing their store there, so down goes the last of the great independant music stores (forgive me, Father, I have not purchased an LP in more years than I can count).

You need to come up for a visit, L. It's still a nice place.
A streetcar runs down 23rd now. http://www.portlandstreetcar.org/
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 5:56 am
Just Joined

AloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of light

Some Great Recommendation's here. I will have to check some of them out!
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Could you bring me over some Walnut & Raisin Whole Wheat Scones from Fenwicks Food Hall and some Mark Tony ice cream from the Granger market
Just kidding, hope you have a great time with your daughter.
Your daughter's bound to want ham and pease pudding stotties from Greggs... it's what this Makem craves right now....
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by gsnichol
Your daughter's bound to want ham and pease pudding stotties from Greggs... it's what this Makem craves right now....
Yeah, but no meat products allowed, or we'd be carting home freezer loads of pork pie...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.