Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A newbie, feeling lost!

A newbie, feeling lost!

Old Dec 20th 2005, 6:00 pm
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice
Default Re: A newbie, feeling lost!

Originally Posted by TaffyinOK
How 'bout a game of darts? Loser buys
I'd be broke before I knew it if that was the challenge !
Old Dec 20th 2005, 6:07 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin

There's many British men who've done the same as you and come to the US on a K-1 and married an American woman. They've made it through the initial shock of the move, the marriage and the inability to work. I'm sure you can deal with it too.

NC Penguin
Sure- you can do like so many around here- bitch, whine and complain about everything that is in any way different in America- whether it is the lack of your favorite baked beans or the medical system, to whether or not you can continue to live just like you used to here even though you are in a foreign land. After a while this becomes so in-grained in you that this is virtually ALL you ever do, and you become a bitter loser, hating your spouse for making you come here...like several around BE.

Or you could accept that things are different here- not all better- not all worse, just different...and try to make the most of it and be happy.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 6:23 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
Sure- you can do like so many around here- bitch, whine and complain about everything that is in any way different in America- whether it is the lack of your favorite baked beans or the medical system, to whether or not you can continue to live just like you used to here even though you are in a foreign land. After a while this becomes so in-grained in you that this is virtually ALL you ever do, and you become a bitter loser, hating your spouse for making you come here...like several around BE.

Or you could accept that things are different here- not all better- not all worse, just different...and try to make the most of it and be happy.
Yeah, you could do that. Or you could have more fun & become a whinging Pommy twat like us!!!
Old Dec 20th 2005, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

Lostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by TaffyinOK
Welcome to Oklahoma, Lostman! Don't listen to the others - Oklahoma may not be LA or New York City, but you're correct when you say the people are friendly and I can honestly say I'm happy with my decision to move here.

What town do you live in? I'm not familiar with the pub you mention.

Don't worry about the tornadoes either. Unlike earthquakes, you get plenty of warning and time to get out of the way. I've been around quite a few and for the most part they're nothing to worry about. After you've been here a while you may even find yourself out in the street watching which way the twister will go before deciding whether or not to duck in the shelter! LOL.
Again, welcome to Oklahoma! You have the right to be homesick, I think we all do to a certain extent, but you get used to it after a while. Ask yourself whether you glass is half full or half empty
Thanks for the welcoming.
I live in Edmond. The pub I mentioned is on Memorial near Quail Springs Mall and Red Lobster...Great place if you fancy fish and chips and a pint etc
I am hoping to catch a Tornado on film and send it home, I do think it is one of those things you have to see. I was shocked to see Tornado holidays on tv in the UK, one of those adventure holidays where you chase tornadoes, madness!

Here is the link to the Baker street pub and grill FYI.
http://www.bakerstreetpub.com/index2.shtm

Last edited by Lostman; Dec 20th 2005 at 10:29 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 12:50 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TN-Dave
(not the 'merikan 'angry' version - the insane one :scared: ),
You still on about merkins? You really should get one for the missus.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 12:57 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lostman
Thanks for the welcoming.
I live in Edmond. The pub I mentioned is on Memorial near Quail Springs Mall and Red Lobster...Great place if you fancy fish and chips and a pint etc
I am hoping to catch a Tornado on film and send it home, I do think it is one of those things you have to see. I was shocked to see Tornado holidays on tv in the UK, one of those adventure holidays where you chase tornadoes, madness!

Here is the link to the Baker street pub and grill FYI.
http://www.bakerstreetpub.com/index2.shtm
Oh and hi. Yeah it's miserable. Worst thing about it is never going to change. You'll always be different. Yep, once you've stopped wallowing and started to look around you'll notice people staring and hovering every time you open your mouth in public. Shop assistants will want your life story, no more popping to the market for a pint of milk and getting straight out. Oh no, every possible public moment will be filled with a forced diet of someones English cousin/aunt/uncle/mom - trip to London/Surrey/Cotswolds/Buckinghamshire and their incessant obsession with Princess Di. And it never gets any better.

Then you get the same crap, the other way around, when you get back to England.

Happy Holidays.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 12:59 pm

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
You still on about merkins? You really should get one for the missus.
Good thinking... I'll check Wally World or Ebay for them ! heheheeee
Old Dec 21st 2005, 2:13 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Oh and hi. Yeah it's miserable. Worst thing about it is never going to change. You'll always be different. Yep, once you've stopped wallowing and started to look around you'll notice people staring and hovering every time you open your mouth in public. Shop assistants will want your life story, no more popping to the market for a pint of milk and getting straight out. Oh no, every possible public moment will be filled with a forced diet of someones English cousin/aunt/uncle/mom - trip to London/Surrey/Cotswolds/Buckinghamshire and their incessant obsession with Princess Di. And it never gets any better.

Then you get the same crap, the other way around, when you get back to England.

Happy Holidays.
How true. I often used to wonder why people used to look at me so strangely. I also get a lot of double takes, for a time I wondered what was going on, was there something on my face? Had I met them before? Were they an old friend from years ago? Nope, they were just staring because they heard me talk & figured I was from some weird place!!!

I still slip sometimes & forget that I'm different, but as soon as I'm thinking, what are they staring at? I remember why they're doing it!!! It's a good job I'm not a nervous paranoid person, otherwise I'd never leave the house!
Old Dec 21st 2005, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Partystar
How true. I often used to wonder why people used to look at me so strangely. I also get a lot of double takes, for a time I wondered what was going on, was there something on my face? Had I met them before? Were they an old friend from years ago? Nope, they were just staring because they heard me talk & figured I was from some weird place!!!

I still slip sometimes & forget that I'm different, but as soon as I'm thinking, what are they staring at? I remember why they're doing it!!! It's a good job I'm not a nervous paranoid person, otherwise I'd never leave the house!
Yeah, but sometimes in stores, it mean you can get people to do all sorts of things to help you out ! LOLOL
Old Dec 21st 2005, 2:29 pm
Back where I belong!

Yeah, but sometimes in stores, it mean you can get people to do all sorts of things to help you out ! LOLOL
I find it's the case everywhere, not just in stores!!!
Old Dec 21st 2005, 2:31 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely! My ever so polite Hellen Mirren number almost always works!
Old Dec 21st 2005, 2:34 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Elvira
I have red hair, big boobs & an English accent, works for me everytime!!!
Old Dec 21st 2005, 2:45 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Well, with men anyway- I doubt the care about your hair or accent....
Old Dec 21st 2005, 2:48 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

So to bring my average up from 95% to 100% would you suggest I colour my hair or should I get a boob job?
Old Dec 21st 2005, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira
Sounds like something worth seeing !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.