Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A newbie, feeling lost!

A newbie, feeling lost!

Old Dec 19th 2005, 11:31 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A newbie, feeling lost!

You big girls blouse, not one person here was or still is homesick, its Christmas and I am in no way missing my family, my Mum sweating over the stove, my Dad and brothers down the pub getting drunk so they can eat my mums cooking. My Auntie Maggie making sure my Uncle John is not left alone with either the scotch or any teenage girls, my Grandfather undoing his belt to eat his meal then standing up and saluting when the Queens speech comes on and showing his Y's.

No I'm not homesick, its just very smoky in here!
Old Dec 19th 2005, 11:53 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick
You big girls blouse, not one person here was or still is homesick, its Christmas and I am in no way missing my family, my Mum sweating over the stove, my Dad and brothers down the pub getting drunk so they can eat my mums cooking. My Auntie Maggie making sure my Uncle John is not left alone with either the scotch or any teenage girls, my Grandfather undoing his belt to eat his meal then standing up and saluting when the Queens speech comes on and showing his Y's.

No I'm not homesick, its just very smoky in here!
Aaaw, a fine show of emotion from Patrick...

...I think I'm going to be sick!

{Oops, forgot to say welcome to Lostman - yup, it can be ******' miserable over here sometimes, even for those of us who chose to emigrate for money rather than love. Or perhaps that's the wrong way round? Anyway, chin up lad. The first 3 years are the worst, so I'm told!}

Last edited by dbj1000; Dec 19th 2005 at 11:55 pm.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 12:13 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lostman
Hello everyone,

Well I have just moved to Oklahoma about 3 months ago on a k1 visa, just filing for green card now and work permit.

I was just wondering if anyone came to the USA to be with their girlfriend and marry her and if they suffered from homesickness, feeling of regret, sadness and worry that they made the wrong choice, especially as things are made harder by not being able to work etc. Well I feel like that and worry everyday about my decision! Is this normal?

Thanks!
Welcome to BE! It can be madhouse here.

There's so many things going on in your life at the moment (life in a new country, marriage, homesickness, inability to work, Christmas) that it's no wonder you feel a bit down.

I dunno what you mean by wrong choice? In any case, it's far too early to come to a conclusion. You've only been in the US three months. That's not long.

There's many British men who've done the same as you and come to the US on a K-1 and married an American woman. They've made it through the initial shock of the move, the marriage and the inability to work. I'm sure you can deal with it too. Just takes perseverance and support (from your wife, amongst other people).

NC Penguin
Old Dec 20th 2005, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone,

Well I have just moved to Oklahoma about 3 months ago on a k1 visa, just filing for green card now and work permit.

I was just wondering if anyone came to the USA to be with their girlfriend and marry her and if they suffered from homesickness, feeling of regret, sadness and worry that they made the wrong choice, especially as things are made harder by not being able to work etc. Well I feel like that and worry everyday about my decision! Is this normal?

Thanks!

Welcome aboard you poor thing. And yes, I'm afraid that like so many others that came before, you've made a tragic mistake. Your life is now, for all intents and purposes, over.

May I recommend having yourself committed to an insane asylum. Hardly an OTT idea since you must've been quite cazy to come to this terrible country in the first place.

As an American myself, I can only apologize (if that will help) on behalf of my country and fellow Americans for what one of our number has apparently managed to do to you. Through some unknown device, this person has apparently managed to gain control of your emotions to the extent that she has convinced you that you've fallen madly in love with her.

In this belief, you've given up everything you knew back home, and pursued her to the undesireable region you now occupy. But alas, help is on the way. Even now our scientists are hard at work trying to find a cure for this terrible malady (falling in love) which has afflicted so many Brightons before you.

For the record, it also afflicts members of other nationalities as well, including my own. At any rate, welcome to the US!

Disclaimer:
The preceeding has been a piss take. No other purpose is intended, neither should any be inferred.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 1:28 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jabba1
W

As an American myself, ...........The preceeding has been a piss take. .......[/I]

Surely there's a contradiction in there somewhere?

Old Dec 20th 2005, 1:34 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

which has afflicted so many Brightons before you.

How do you know he's from Brighton? and not from Britain
Old Dec 20th 2005, 1:38 am
Just Joined

Lostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant future

Thanks for the replies! and the welcoming! I am just a big 26 year old baby sometimes who thinks and worries too much.

Oklahoma is pretty cool though, hard as it is to believe. There is a great pub here called the Baker street pub and Grill and they have great beer and proper-ish English food and it closes at 2:00am, plus lots of sherlock homes stuff. Oklahoma is also very cheap for living...4 bedroom house is about 160K etc, so can't really do much complaining. Just not looking forward to Tornado season, the shelter will be my second home

Good to know I am not alone!

Cheers!
Old Dec 20th 2005, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

Surely there's a contradiction in there somewhere?

It has been my experience that life is full of many contradictions, madam. I try not to think about them as they tend to make my underpants bunch up a bit.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Thydney
How do you know he's from Brighton? and not from Britain
Indeed, this is a ponderance that requires further study on my part. I shall digress to your wisdom in this matter, kind sir.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 1:51 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

It has been my experience that life is full of many contradictions, madam. I try not to think about them as they tend to make my underpants bunch up a bit.

Okay, this is a test:

Are you local?

Old Dec 20th 2005, 1:55 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone,

Thanks!
sounds like most of us at one point or another - welcome onboard

Ant
Old Dec 20th 2005, 1:57 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies! and the welcoming! I am just a big 26 year old baby sometimes who thinks and worries too much.

Oklahoma is pretty cool though, hard as it is to believe. There is a great pub here called the Baker street pub and Grill and they have great beer and proper-ish English food and it closes at 2:00am, plus lots of sherlock homes stuff. Oklahoma is also very cheap for living...4 bedroom house is about 160K etc, so can't really do much complaining. Just not looking forward to Tornado season, the shelter will be my second home

Good to know I am not alone!

Cheers!

When you're all warmed up, try The Lounge on a lively night. Take everything that's said in there with a bucket of salt.

And welcome.

There are no normal people here, but don't let it worry you.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Oklahoma is pretty cool though

Oklahoma?........Cool?

Bear with me a moment. It's just that I've never heard these two words together in the same sentence before. It may take a few moments for me to bring my belly laughs under control.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 1:58 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Oklahoma?........Cool?

Bear with me a moment. It's just that I've never heard these two words together in the same sentence before. It may take a few moments for me to bring my belly laughs under control.

Er, we're supposed to be cheering him up you know...............
Old Dec 20th 2005, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Elvira
Okay, this is a test:

Are you local?

Yes, I am local.

Disclaimer:
The preceeding statement which reads as follows "Yes, I am local", is an elaborate falsification desingned to mislead the reader. It should, therefore, be disregarded.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.