Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to the USA from the UK

Moving to the USA from the UK

Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Welshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the USA from the UK

Originally Posted by slummymummy
You never know, you might meet a rich american girl who will pay for you to study over here! (I know, I was always a dreamer...)
See, that's where I went wrong, I met a poor American girl..... At least I was on all expenses paid at the time...
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ieuan
Then on-to college. Perhaps Animal Care, could be useful in my Uncles line of work with the zoo etc. Perhaps I can excel in that area...I own Reptiles, and Qualified Reptile Vets are very few and far between!
Its not only given me a 'Path to the US' but a general life plan...Id never even considered animal care previously, but there colleges close by I can attend, and it carries the added bonus of working towards meeting the criteria my Uncles boss's will want from me (The animal care qualifications) and getting me that much closer to having the opportunity to live/work in the US.
Hi Ieuan, which type of visa do you have in mind for this plan? Not every visa that allows you to work will be suitable for your purposes, so it's a good idea to research the limitations of each early on. e.g. A quick bit of googling suggests that the J-1 may exclude veterinary-type programs, while an H-1B application for a vet may require evidence of a state license.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Ieuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pennieanddarryl
guys give the poor boy a chance .... ieuan i think what they are trying to say in a nutshell is have a look at all the facts and visit first before setting your heart on anything. Everyone needs a goal and i admire your positive outlook, after being a ping pong living in uk and usa for many years moving out here twice i can honestly say everywhere has its ups and downs. I travel back to UK every month and can honestly say I love my lifestyle although expensive in the USA. We did it the hard way bringing our own company out in a recession but it worked. My children play in the street until the street lights come on and We have bears, turkeys eagles and we hand feed the deer in our garden.... I know for a fact my friends who have children in the UK can only dream of this. Rate of crime where i live is one of the lowest in the country. I'm a serving police officer and so i see all the bad bits and trust me i would NEVER bring my children up in the UK. For those of you who are thinking of moving back just follow your own advise and make sure your not looking at it with rose tinted glasses. #justsaying
Im glad you mentioned the crime rate friend, South Wales is bad for drugs and Violence, aswell as it having the highest teenage pregnancy rate in Europe last time a checked, and not to mention the poverty.

At about 14 I got dragged into the lifestyle of doing drugs, skipping school to drink and generally stomping out any chance of a decent life...Luckily at about 16 i dragged myself out of it all, but unfortunately it was too late for my school life. I didd'nt even attend school during the GCSE's...I turned up for the exams, but not school...I got above average in most and average in the rest, so it wasn't a complete failure. However I ruined my chances at A levels and University, which i so now desire.

This is why id very much like to live in the US (US as family is their and always been an ambition to go) to escape to poor conditions Iv lived in.

So i guess people who say dont tarnish the UK name should spend their childhood high on drugs, drunk and skint like me before assuming im ignorant lol

I guess my misfortune of being in the wrong crowd and being involved in crime etc tarnished my views on living here (And no i dont have a criminal record )
(sorry to go personnal and writing a paragraph!)

And a rich american girl you say!? Well i am quite a good looking chap, many holidays are in order lol

Last edited by Ieuan; Feb 19th 2013 at 9:35 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Its not only given me a 'Path to the US' but a general life plan...Id never even considered animal care previously, but there colleges close by I can attend, and it carries the added bonus of working towards meeting the criteria my Uncles boss's will want from me (The animal care qualifications) and getting me that much closer to having the opportunity to live/work in the US.
It's going to take a lot more investigating because the qualifications in the UK might not be worth the paper they are printed on in the US.

It really depends on what kind of state licensing is involved in the US end. Vets, doctors, nurses, dentists etc, can not work in the US without significant and expensive re-studying in the US to get certified.

I don't know what you want to study or what you mean by animal care qualifications, but you should be aware of what it means in the US and whether the kind of job you are considering is even eligible for a H1B sponsored visa.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Ieuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bob
It's going to take a lot more investigating because the qualifications in the UK might not be worth the paper they are printed on in the US.

It really depends on what kind of state licensing is involved in the US end. Vets, doctors, nurses, dentists etc, can not work in the US without significant and expensive re-studying in the US to get certified.

I don't know what you want to study or what you mean by animal care qualifications, but you should be aware of what it means in the US and whether the kind of job you are considering is even eligible for a H1B sponsored visa.
Yeah your right..Bugger diddnt think of that.

Cheers budd, Il take a look now.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:41 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

So i guess people who say dont tarnish the UK name should spend their childhood high on drugs, drunk and skint like me before assuming im ignorant lol
Lets be clear you are ignorant or you would not be asking for help and advice.

Your life sucked because you were high on drugs, drunk and skint, not because it was the UK. The US is full of kids on drugs, drunk and skint with no education. Teen pregnancy rates are way high. All those things you think you are getting away from, they are all here on stilts.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Lets be clear you are ignorant or you would not be asking for help and advice.

Your life sucked because you were high on drugs, drunk and skint, not because it was the UK. The US is full of kids on drugs, drunk and skint with no education. Teen pregnancy rates are way high. All those things you think you are getting away from, they are all here on stilts.
SO willingness to learn is Ignorance? Perhaps reading a thesaurus will aide you next time while insulting me.

My life diddn't suck, I was lead onto the wrong path. And yes very obviously every country and town in the world pretty much will have similar problems. I dont need you to tell me that. But I dont intend to move somewhere to start drugs, so that's irrelevant.

I was explaining why Im in such a poor situation to start aiming higher in life.

I dont see why you have a problem with me fancying a change in scenery?

Last edited by Ieuan; Feb 19th 2013 at 9:49 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

To be honest I think meeting someone might be your biggest chance of living in the USA. But do not let that person know how much you want that, she will feel used!
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:48 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanting to check, that miss-spent youth didn't result in any trouble with the police did it?
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

At about 14 I got dragged into the lifestyle of doing drugs, skipping school to drink and generally stomping out any chance of a decent life...Luckily at about 16 i dragged myself out of it all, but unfortunately it was too late for my school life. I didd'nt even attend school during the GCSE's...I turned up for the exams, but not school...I got above average in most and average in the rest, so it wasn't a complete failure. However I ruined my chances at A levels and University, which i so now desire.

This is why id very much like to live in the US (US as family is their and always been an ambition to go) to escape to poor conditions Iv lived in.
Hopefully you didn't pick up a drug conviction, that really would kill off any ambition.

So you know you've got to get back on track and get to uni, those conditions aren't going to change by being in the US.

Those job figures are tiny compared to the scale over here. Also, depending on location, a lot of utility bills are massive compared to the UK, especially the heat/cooling.

It's one of those things people in holiday mode, see the cost of petrol and say "wow, that's cheap" and on the surface, compared to the UK, it is. Cost of running a motor, distance travelled to do anything, complete lack of a alternative etc, means the reality is several layers away.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:49 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

SO willingness to learn is Ignorance? Perhaps reading a thesaurus will aide you next time while insulting me.

My life diddn't suck, I was lead onto the wrong path. And yes very obviously every country and town in the world pretty much will have similar problems. I dont need you to tell me that.

I dont see why you have a problem with me fancying a change in scenery?
You seem to be using ignorant in another definition to my meaning, I have already stated that ignorance is nothing to be ashamed of, and that you are planing to inform and educate yourself. There was no insult.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by slummymummy
To be honest I think meeting someone might be your biggest chance of living in the USA. But do not let that person know how much you want that, she will feel used!
I think you may be right

and i acquired ZERO criminal records

Had 2 litres of whiskey confiscated when i was 15 and had a letter home but thats about it

Never got caught thank god!
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kimilseung
You seem to be using ignorant in another definition to my meaning, I have already stated that ignorance is nothing to be ashamed of, and that you are planing to inform and educate yourself. There was no insult.
Ahhh I catch your drift now. Sorry. In that case I am extremely ignorant!

However its in-correct grammar written in the wrong context :P
Old Feb 19th 2013, 10:02 pm
He/him

and you have identified my area of ignorance.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Before you start criticising other people for their use of language you should probably do something about your own. In English common nouns do not have an initial capital letter other than at the beginning of sentences. Aide is a noun, not a verb. 'Ignorant' does not necessarily carry a pejorative meaning. 'Incorrect' is not hyphenated. Vocabulary, not grammar. A full stop is used to indicate the end of a sentence.

EDIT: Oh, and I almost forgot: look up the difference between its and it's.

Last edited by Apfelkuchen; Feb 19th 2013 at 10:12 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.