Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to the USA from the UK

Moving to the USA from the UK

Old Feb 19th 2013, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

Ieuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to all
Default Moving to the USA from the UK

Hey guys, This is my first post, Just looking for a little advice/Guidance. Cheers.

So Im an 18 year old male living in the UK, Wales to be specific. But have a dream to move to America...I really love the landscape and culture, and I guess a change in life would also be great.

I was wondering if their would be anyway of me being able to make a permanent move acrross the pond, be it either in one swoop or for instance having to visit find work and then stay or apply for a permanent 'place'.

Im sorry for the extremely stupid and basic questions, quite un-educated to the terminology and such!

What little I do know is you need 'Visa's' for longer visits...And to stay permanently you'd need either to marry an american citizen or have a very good degree in something required in America...I have neither unfortunatly.

I do have an Uncle who met and married an american in the UK and moved to various places (NewZealand, Australia and now America) but now is the manager of a big zoo in Yellowstone National Park.

I read that I could get a work based visa for upto 2-12 years? Is this true?

And could I make that permenant or is the whole Manager at the Zoo thing relevant and could it help my chances?

Again, sorry for the lack of know-how, I do probably come across as an naive kid with too large of aspirations but I'am genuine.

Thanks Guys.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 1:15 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the USA from the UK

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

This is the place to start. Do you meet any of the criteria to get a visa?
Old Feb 19th 2013, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

Ieuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to all

Im not too sure!

Dual-Intent perhaps, thats if I properly understand all the jargon

Correct me if im wrong, which I think I am, but does it imply buying property in america and then applying for permanent stay or applying to become a US citizen?
Old Feb 19th 2013, 2:26 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ieuan
Im not too sure!

Dual-Intent perhaps, thats if I properly understand all the jargon

Correct me if im wrong, which I think I am, but does it imply buying property in america and then applying for permanent stay or applying to become a US citizen?
Go read the visa categories carefully. In order to qualify for a visa you must meet one of the visa categories, for example your employer is willing to transfer you over as an experienced manager, qualifying you for an L visa. If you don't fit one of the visa categories you won't be emigrating to the US. Full stop.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:00 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

If you are looking for a short cut to the US, you came to the right place.

There isn't one.

Either you fit one of the categories in the link mentioned above, or game over.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 6:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

No, you've misread it. Read it again slowly and let us know if you think any of the categories apply.

From what you said, you've got no chance at the moment. But look at it as a long term plan. A degree is going to be pretty much essential. So maybe that should be the first step in your plan to get out there? Get some further education, and into a good job, where you can work towards getting transferred with a multinational employer, or having enough skills and education for a H1B.

Failing that, look at Canada, where it would be much easier to move to. Although a degree would probably be essential for there to!

Good luck.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 1:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Quick answer would be no.

If you have a stack of money to pay to go to uni in the US, that would be the quickest way over for a few years, or if you were a student, to do a Bunac type summer camp, or a student exchange.

Anything else is realistically a 5-10 year plan.

Though what's so special about the place? It's the same shit, different bucket, certainly unless you've got money. So just enjoy the holidays.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 1:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Failing that, look at Canada, where it would be much easier to move to. Although a degree would probably be essential for there to!
Though at least there's the option of the workers holiday visa, would get a good bit of time to experience life there, even if it isn't permanent and likely not to be this year, but certainly a option to look into.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Ok thanks guys.

Il have another read over the visa's now shortly.

I am still only 18...There is more than enough time to achieve this

And why not America? It looks amazing to me. The majority of people look like decent approachable people, the cities are beautifull and the culture is second to none.

In my opinion Britain is a broken nation on the brink of collapse. There is nothing here that appeals to me at all. Its a dead beat, one way road on a crappy existence, working until your dead life (Thats if you can find work).

America is such a large diverse place, even though jobs are few there, it is no-where near as bad as it is in the UK.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 2:44 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thanks guys.

And why not America? It looks amazing to me. The majority of people look like decent approachable people, the cities are beautifull and the culture is second to none.

In my opinion Britain is a broken nation on the brink of collapse. There is nothing here that appeals to me at all. Its a dead beat, one way road on a crappy existence, working until your dead life (Thats if you can find work).

America is such a large diverse place, even though jobs are few there, it is no-where near as bad as it is in the UK.
Have you ever visited the US, Ieuan? If so, your rose-colored glasses were firmly in place -- especially in your assertion that "the cities are beautiful and the culture is second to none." Way, way off base. Both countries are seeing hard economic times, but the biggest difference is that if you are broke and jobless in the UK, you still get healthcare and other social services; in the US you are on the street. Go to university, get a good degree in a subject that interests you, and make this a long-term plan.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 2:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

That's why holidays are great.

Because the daily drudge is just the same. The ills of the UK you mention, well that's life in the US too. Only you can change your circumstances, the country won't do that.

Have a read of a few threads. The US is just as varied as the UK when it comes to location and people.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

How can you deny that the cities are beautiful?

Over here, each job that becomes available, an estimated 75 people all apply for that job...Id prefer my chances elswhere if Im honest.

No i have never visited the US. And I probably wouldnt need to in comparison to what iv seen in my short life in the UK.

Our 'Benifets' and 'Safety nets' consist of £100 every two weeks (I think) which is barely enough to feed your self...The free healthcare is good, il admit. However I am private.

Have you ever visited the UK for more than a 2 week holiday? It would take time for you to realise what i mean when I say its a dead beat country.

And on the basis of everywhere else is the same no one would move anywhere!
Old Feb 19th 2013, 2:56 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thanks guys.

What do you mean by the culture is second to none?
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Many of us who have lived in the U.S. for a long period are tired of it and intend moving back
America is not monolithic...there are plenty places worse off than the UK....or would you be eager to live in Detroit?
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Over here, each job that becomes available, an estimated 75 people all apply for that job...
Is that all? 75 is nothing. Here in the USA, depending on the job, you can get 1,000 applicants. And you hear absolutely nothing back when you apply, not even a "thank you for your application".

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.