Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to the USA from the UK

Wikiposts

Moving to the USA from the UK

Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:28 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the USA from the UK

Originally Posted by Ieuan
Ok froget it!

Your all jumping up on your high horse now...Why the hell are you on these forums if you refuse to help and all you do is slander and patronise me?

Yes im 18, yes im in-experienced and have pretty much no idea what im supposed to be doing to achieve what I want to achieve.

You bunch of dick heads that are calling me over should take a long look at yourselves and what you are saying to me...If you dont want to help me and only want to criticise me I suggest you leave this forum, which is made for people to help people like me, and go sort your own lives out...Your obviously very un-happy in your life for you to be aimlessly scruttanising me for my ideas you bunch of pricks.

(Not aimed at all who have posted by anymeans, just the select few)
You have actually had a lot of very good advice, but the real thing you need to do is to look at the Wiki, and decide what path to go down to get the qualifications you will need, bear in mind that even after getting the degree you are likeliest to need to work for a company with a US base who will be prepared to do the financial things to move you over. Everything else is, at the moment, pie in the sky because you just dont have any sort of chance to move over there. The USA is probably the hardest country for people from the Uk to move to without marrying a US citizen.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

Ieuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bob
No, you're being given a reality check.

This isn't a holiday, it's not something you see on the tele.

The US can be a cracking place, but it can also be pretty dire. That's pretty much the same as the UK then....but one country treats its poor much better than the other.

If you live in a tiny village in the middle of nowhere, just pack your bags and move to a bigger city...it's not like they don't exist even in Wales. It would be much simpler, cheaper and manageable to open your eyes to the world taking baby steps.
I understand its not easy...Reality check is not needed friend.

And moving to Cardiff would be pointless. Trust. I have many friends who have gone and swiftly moved back.

Maybe I want to go live/work in the Zoo my Uncle and my aunty manage?

Please dont pass me off as some dip shit teen who is not willing to try like most in this thread already have.

Last edited by Ieuan; Feb 19th 2013 at 3:35 am.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

Ieuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mikelincs
You have actually had a lot of very good advice, but the real thing you need to do is to look at the Wiki, and decide what path to go down to get the qualifications you will need, bear in mind that even after getting the degree you are likeliest to need to work for a company with a US base who will be prepared to do the financial things to move you over. Everything else is, at the moment, pie in the sky because you just dont have any sort of chance to move over there. The USA is probably the hardest country for people from the Uk to move to without marrying a US citizen.
Ok mate thanks.

Il take a look now and get back to you here at what i find and you can see if you thinks its achievable...Thinking of access courses in colleges to provide higher education in animal care, then perhaps i could look into my Uncle who manages a zoo in YellowStone if possible.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Again, sorry for the lack of know-how, I do probably come across as an naive kid with too large of aspirations but I'am genuine.

Thanks Guys.

If you got your Uncle to sponsor you, that would give you a shot........but it will take years to come to fruition.

That will give you plenty of time to put money aside. However, as for other options, you are up shit creek without a paddle.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
If you got your Uncle to sponsor you, that would give you a shot........but it will take years to come to fruition.

That will give you plenty of time to put money aside. However, as for other options, you are up shit creek without a paddle.
Okey mate...Il take a look into courses now.

And yes Other than that I dont have much of a chance really..
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Move to London...? I moved there from a small town when I was 19 and loved it for many years! I think it's one of the coolest and most fun cities in the world, especially when you're young.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

wuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nice

I have a slightly different take on this switching countries as an American who moved to the UK and is now going back. However, I did go to university, got that all-important degree, got increasingly good jobs over the course of 10 years and finally got a job at a multinational which then allowed me to move to London.

I have loved every second of my life here (including the not so great moments), and after 10 years, 3 work permits, a fiancee visa, the marriage, and UK citizenship, I want to move back to the US with my husband to be closer to my parents as they get older.

I've been on both sides of the coin, and my husband and I are now going through the lengthy and expensive green card process. With no sarcasm intended: Never run away from something, only run to. If you're running away from filthy or deadbeat Britain, you'll only find that the US can be the same. If you run to something you'll always look to find the best in your new place.

Keep the dream, but know the reality. I think that's all anyone here is saying.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by slummymummy
Move to London...? I moved there from a small town when I was 19 and loved it for many years! I think it's one of the coolest and most fun cities in the world, especially when you're young.
I have worked their with the olympics fitting the stadium, it was ok.

Although a friend did have a knife pulled on him in a club the second night we wer there aha so who knows

It gave me the impression the English are not a very approchable bunch...for the second time!

P.s. Think England is going to win the Grand Slam?

Last edited by Ieuan; Feb 19th 2013 at 3:51 am.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wuthering
I have a slightly different take on this switching countries as an American who moved to the UK and is now going back. However, I did go to university, got that all-important degree, got increasingly good jobs over the course of 10 years and finally got a job at a multinational which then allowed me to move to London.

I have loved every second of my life here (including the not so great moments), and after 10 years, 3 work permits, a fiancee visa, the marriage, and UK citizenship, I want to move back to the US with my husband to be closer to my parents as they get older.

I've been on both sides of the coin, and my husband and I are now going through the lengthy and expensive green card process. With no sarcasm intended: Never run away from something, only run to. If you're running away from filthy or deadbeat Britain, you'll only find that the US can be the same. If you run to something you'll always look to find the best in your new place.

Keep the dream, but know the reality. I think that's all anyone here is saying.
Thank you!

Im glad someone was able to say this without sarcasm or patronising me.

I guess Id be doing both...Id be chasing a dream whilst escaping a dead beat country, with the added bonus of a whole new life experience in America that one day I hope to achieve
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:55 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

And moving to Cardiff would be pointless. Trust. I have many friends who have gone and swiftly moved back.
And why would it be pointless?

It is a simpler, cheaper approach than the US.

Do it for the summer, do it while you go to uni. You'll need a university degree anyway and you'll be able to have much more freedom to work while doing the degree in the UK than in the US.

If your uncle is willing to sponsor you, the position would still require a degree and it would still cost him several thousand bucks to do it. That's if the position would be eligible for a H1B visa.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
And why would it be pointless?

It is a simpler, cheaper approach than the US.

Do it for the summer, do it while you go to uni. You'll need a university degree anyway and you'll be able to have much more freedom to work while doing the degree in the UK than in the US.

If your uncle is willing to sponsor you, the position would still require a degree and it would still cost him several thousand bucks to do it. That's if the position would be eligible for a H1B visa.
Because of reviews I have had about work...But for education it could be a good move, your right...Another thing I can look into thanks.

And yes I would quite happily foot the bill for him for the sponsor in a few years time when im in a position to take it further.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 4:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I

Although a friend did have a knife pulled on him in a club the second night we wer there aha so who knows
And do you not think something like that might not happen in any city, in the world?

On the plus side, it was only a knife and he wasn't shot.

Anyway, on the work front. Look at the numerous threads on BE in the immigration section, you'll see a theme of the type of jobs people have that are working out a visa. Safe bet tends to be the tech and science areas, often more with more opportunities too, but to give yourself a decent chance at making someone wanting to spend the kind of money to get you a visa, you'd need niche knowledge or skills within a particular field.

It is much better to study something that you enjoy, so that you finish it and work in a field that you enjoy than to pigeonhole yourself into a area that you think might be best for a visa because things change and the opportunities might with it in the future. So better to do something you enjoy and hope that it leads to an opportunity.

Still think the option of experiencing the rest of the UK would be a good one, especially when so young...it's much easier to backpack and slum your way around than when you're older. Also you've got the WHV to explore for Canada/Oz/Kiwi etc.

The world is your oyster. Don't get so hung up on something that's on an assumption.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 4:04 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you!

Im glad someone was able to say this without sarcasm or patronising me.

I guess Id be doing both...Id be chasing a dream whilst escaping a dead beat country, with the added bonus of a whole new life experience in America that one day I hope to achieve
I don't mean to be patronising, and I hope you don't take it that way, but just to let you see the other side of the coin; my son has moved to the UK from the US to attend University there and cited very similar reasons to you for wanting to do so.

As everyone else has mentioned have a plan and work towards it and your dream will hopefully become a reality. Many people I know who have moved to the US had to plan and work for it for quite a while, but they felt it was worth it. Just as my son feels its worth it being back in the UK. Each to their own. But no matter where life takes you I wish you the best of luck on your journey.

Also, I don't know if you've considered it but as you've not yet been to the US you might be interested in Work America. I know someone your age who recently did something similar and they had a blast

http://bunac.org/uk/work-abroad/work-america

http://www.campamerica.co.uk
Old Feb 19th 2013, 4:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Because of reviews I have had about work...But for education it could be a good move, your right...Another thing I can look into thanks.

And yes I would quite happily foot the bill for him for the sponsor in a few years time when im in a position to take it further.
Welcome to BE.

Just to be clear...the company your uncle works for must apply and pay for a work visa for you.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 4:07 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Well if you think the work situation is bad in Cardiff or Swansea, think further out. It is much worse in the US.

At least while studying in the UK, you can work. It'll give you a chance to save up and gain skills. Also don't discount the rest of the EU. Plenty of universities in France, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands etc off courses in various subjects in English and are cheaper than in the UK. You can find info out in numerous university fairs across the country and doing this gets the added benefit of being able to experience a foreign country, while being able to work and a good opportunity to pick up another language while you're at it.

And no, you won't be able to foot the bill for your uncle. Part of the process in getting the visa is that the sponsor pays for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.