Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to the USA from the UK

Moving to the USA from the UK

Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the USA from the UK

Originally Posted by Ieuan
How can you deny that the cities are beautiful?

Over here, each job that becomes available, an estimated 75 people all apply for that job...Id prefer my chances elswhere if Im honest.

No i have never visited the US. And I probably wouldnt need to in comparison to what iv seen in my short life in the UK.

Our 'Benifets' and 'Safety nets' consist of £100 every two weeks (I think) which is barely enough to feed your self...The free healthcare is good, il admit. However I am private.

Have you ever visited the UK for more than a 2 week holiday? It would take time for you to realise what i mean when I say its a dead beat country.

And on the basis of everywhere else is the same no one would move anywhere!
The US is just like any other country, including the UK.

Some cities are great, some are shit.

Have you ever been to Dorchester, MA? Would make Slough look like a heavenly spa. etc, etc.

Job front is no different in the US.

You have no idea what it is like trying to survive in a country with no safety net. The UK might not have the best around but you realise how good it is when you don't have it.

Also, considering the name of the site, yes, most of us do know the UK.

Would suggest you perhaps move around the country first. It would be cheaper and a easier option. There is also the rest of the EU, where a visa is not required. Apart from that, go to university. It might cost you money in the UK now but you don't know how cheap that still is and there are cheaper options in other EU countries. Not only would that offer you better chances and opportunities in the UK, but it would give you more options to look further a field.

People move countries for a host of reasons, family, job, adventure, whatever. People who leave to escape the ills of their home country tend to find it hardest to settle because they soon realise it's just the same shit in a different bucket but now they are the johnny foreigner that they looked down on before etc.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
What do you mean by the culture is second to none?

He likes Honey Boo-Boo.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Ieuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to all

I mean the culture and unity of paitriots.

You dont get that here...Each is to their own...And i know you will have that elsewhere as its 'human nature' but over here its the cold shoulder to all.

You guys seem to be trying quitw hard to shun me away from the idea of moving to america lol

I understand it takes work/money/dedication, hense why I posted here. Less slander on my outlook of america, be it wrong or right, and more on these visa's people

Back in a second, going to do some research on that link and paths i could take..

--

I wouldnt be too bothered about where, Iv always like the idea of living in New York

Again, the sky scrapers are my eigth wonder of the world having lived in a rural town in Wales my whole life
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:06 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

How can you deny that the cities are beautiful?.....
No i have never visited the US
How can you say that then? Most urban sprawl here makes Aviemore look beautiful.

No i have never visited the US. And I probably wouldnt need to in comparison to what iv seen in my short life in the UK.
Best stay in the UK

I mean the culture and unity of paitriots
What does that even mean, what aspect of culture?

You sir have been the victim of American Cultural Imperialist Expansion.

Last edited by kimilseung; Feb 19th 2013 at 3:09 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:07 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

How can you deny that the cities are beautiful?

Over here, each job that becomes available, an estimated 75 people all apply for that job...Id prefer my chances elswhere if Im honest.

Our 'Benifets' and 'Safety nets' consist of £100 every two weeks (I think) which is barely enough to feed your self...The free healthcare is good, il admit. However I am private.

Have you ever visited the UK for more than a 2 week holiday? It would take time for you to realise what i mean when I say its a dead beat country.

And on the basis of everywhere else is the same no one would move anywhere!
Like the majority of the people on this forum, I lived in the UK for much longer than you have been alive. You are showing extreme naivete in your vision of both the US and the UK.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever visited the UK for more than a 2 week holiday?
You are over-looking the fact that we are British and still have lots of family and friends there.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:11 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the members on British Expats are just that, BRITISH expats. We used to live in the UK. If you have never visited the USA, I'm unsure what you are basing your opinions on.
I enjoy my life here in the USA, but you seem to have a very unrealistic opinion about life here.
Out of work in the UK, you get JSA, your rent paid/help with mortgage, Council Tax paid and the biggy, you never have to worry about being ill and not being able to get help. In the USA, it's no money, no treatment.
Also, America is a huge place. Life on the East coast is very different to life in Texas. Take your time to visit the country when you can, alongside working out what you want to do with your life.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:15 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Let's face it, he isn't going to get there for a good number of years as he has no way of getting a visa short of having a shedfull of money or marrying a US citizen and by the time he gets the qualifications needed to have a chance of getting a visa, the gateposts will have moved again, and probably have got harder to meet.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:17 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

.....unity of paitriots......[stuff about how the UK is crap].....
Consider what you as an admirer of patriotism can do to your own country to make it better. If it is crap, you share some of the responsibility for that, are you just going to run away from your own mess?
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:23 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Now you're just shooting the messengers. You have been directed to a wiki describing the ways to obtain a US visa, and it has been suggested that a university degree is pretty much an essential. Sounds pretty helpful to me.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Ieuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to allIeuan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Now you're just shooting the messengers. You have been directed to a wiki describing the ways to obtain a US visa, and it has been suggested that a university degree is pretty much an essential. Sounds pretty helpful to me.
And thats EXACTLY what i am doing as i have said.

That rant isnt directed at the person who kindly provided the link, its at people like you who continue to question my words and not provide anything usefull to this convo apart from sarcastic comments and patronising me.

But what i dont need is the few in-secure pricks feeling the need call me 'Very naive' etc etc. and questioning me on each irrelevant word trying to be-little me and generally spamming this thread.

If you aint helping then please do not comment.

Last edited by Ieuan; Feb 19th 2013 at 3:28 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

LinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really nice

Hi Ieuan. I'm not going to echo what others have already posted, however I just thought I'd offer my input. I had the same dream as you of moving to the US when I was younger (around 18). I accepted that it's a long term plan and one that I could work towards, but during the meantime, I'd enjoy the 'journey'.

I found a subject I was interested in (computer science/software engineering) and applied for university. I'm 22 now and about to complete my degree and hopefully move onto the next step in my 'journey'.

At 18 years old, with no money, no immediate family who are US citizens, no education/career, there is near no chance at all that you're going to make it to the US permanently anytime soon.

If it's something you want, then make it a long term goal. Get an education and/or start building a career, make yourself indispensable and most of all, enjoy the journey.

Best of luck.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

"Also, considering the name of the site, yes, most of us do know the UK."

classic...

Start with going to the US for a holiday and see if you really like it that much... You can go for up to 90 days without a visa. But don't mention to the immigration officer that you want to live here! Then he/she might not let you into the country.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I mean the culture and unity of paitriots.

You dont get that here...Each is to their own...And i know you will have that elsewhere as its 'human nature' but over here its the cold shoulder to all.

You guys seem to be trying quitw hard to shun me away from the idea of moving to america lol

I understand it takes work/money/dedication, hense why I posted here. Less slander on my outlook of america, be it wrong or right, and more on these visa's people

Back in a second, going to do some research on that link and paths i could take..

--

I wouldnt be too bothered about where, Iv always like the idea of living in New York

Again, the sky scrapers are my eigth wonder of the world having lived in a rural town in Wales my whole life
No, you're being given a reality check.

This isn't a holiday, it's not something you see on the tele.

The US can be a cracking place, but it can also be pretty dire. That's pretty much the same as the UK then....but one country treats its poor much better than the other.

If you live in a tiny village in the middle of nowhere, just pack your bags and move to a bigger city...it's not like they don't exist even in Wales. It would be much simpler, cheaper and manageable to open your eyes to the world taking baby steps.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:28 pm
He/him

Ok froget it!

Your all jumping up on your high horse now...Why the hell are you on these forums if you refuse to help and all you do is slander and patronise me?

Yes im 18, yes im in-experienced and have pretty much no idea what im supposed to be doing to achieve what I want to achieve.

You bunch of dick heads that are calling me over should take a long look at yourselves and what you are saying to me...If you dont want to help me and only want to criticise me I suggest you leave this forum, which is made for people to help people like me, and go sort your own lives out...Your obviously very un-happy in your life for you to be aimlessly scruttanising me for my ideas you bunch of pricks.

(Not aimed at all who have posted by anymeans, just the select few)
Yes we are being a little bit patronising. But you have done little to suggest that you are informed about your chosen destination, for you to just up sticks and move would be foolish, and we would feel a little bit responsible if we aided it without questioning it.
If you are informed about America and why you think it is the right place for you, by all means demonstrate it. If not, do the research on the place and come back if it still appeals. Search the forum, you will see there are people on here who bend over backwards to help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.