Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Move to Seattle? Your thoughts?

Move to Seattle? Your thoughts?

Old Apr 7th 2010, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

WARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to Seattle? Your thoughts?

OK, so you can have the greater sympathy. Despite my desire to leave Pinellas County, it can't be as bad as a desire to get out of Gravesend!

Moving to the US was for the most part a very smooth ride for me. I came over as a fiance intending to marry using a K1 visa, which of course won't be relevant for you. The process appears daunting at the start with a large amount of paperwork to be filled and sent, but with the helpful advise of BE's immigration section and another site called visajourney,com it really was a breeze with no need for an immigration lawyer unless you have complicated circumstances. Fill in the forms carefully, use examples of filled forms that are available on the sites listed if you are unsure what to enter, and make copies of everything.

Luckily for me, my wife moved to England on a 6 month tourist visa to wait out the K1 with me which made it all the more bearable. Once her application (I129F) had been approved, I had to gather the required paperwork for the K1 application at my end (criminal record, birth cert etc) and attend the medical examination. Finally a painless interview at the embassy, that was all very cordial, ended with me getting a stamp on my passport and we flew out 1st July 2008. There were no complications for us at all, which was obviously helped by money in the bank, good health and a clean criminal record.

My transition to living in the states has been much harder. I wasn't eligible to work until Jan 09, by which time the economy was in full on TANK mode. Florida is one of the states that has been particularly badly hit and now stands with unemployment over 13% which is well over the national average. I have been unable to find employment despite gaining/upgrading my professional certifications over that time even though I have been getting the interviews. I would definitely wait out any return to the US until things improve although I am lead to believe Seattle is fairing much better than many other places with unemployment less than the national average.

My original post give you an idea of how I am liking things here at the moment (which clearly isn't that much), and with my rose coloured glasses for America lost, I've found a new set that were made in Britain to put on occasionally, which is stupid, because things as you know, are not perfect there either. I now find I have to keep reminding myself not to judge the country and its people by the one area in which I have lived, and that gives me some hope for being happier and more settled if and when we get to move elsewhere. From your comments, my wife, being a web designer/graphic artist and band member should find the PNW quite enjoyable, but then she isn't really unhappy here. Time will tell where our path will lead, but the next step along it will definitely be a holiday to the PNW.

Thanks again for your help.
Old May 18th 2010, 1:35 am
Just Joined

margiescoot will become famous soon enough

Hello Mr. Warped!

Just wanted to send you a message to see how you're doing. Any news of your Seattle holiday? Are you ready to sell those American rose coloured glasses on E-Bay? I could send you some from Gravesend but as they were purchased in the 99p shop, they're more purple rather than rose and they smell like a rip off version of Monster Munch. :/

Cheerios,
Margiescoot
Old May 18th 2010, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by margiescoot
Hello Mr. Warped!

Just wanted to send you a message to see how you're doing. Any news of your Seattle holiday? Are you ready to sell those American rose coloured glasses on E-Bay? I could send you some from Gravesend but as they were purchased in the 99p shop, they're more purple rather than rose and they smell like a rip off version of Monster Munch. :/

Cheerios,
Margiescoot
Interesting, very interesting.....
Old May 18th 2010, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

WARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by margiescoot
Hello Mr. Warped!

Cheerios,
Margiescoot
Ha ha. Thanks for remembering. I haven't made it there yet. My parents are over from the UK for the month so all plans on hold, also my wifes new job will not let her take any holiday until June at the earliest which has made us wait. Hoping for a trip there in the summer now. Will definately report in once I have visted with my impressions of the area though.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 8:52 am
Just Joined

MrLee is just really niceMrLee is just really niceMrLee is just really niceMrLee is just really niceMrLee is just really niceMrLee is just really niceMrLee is just really niceMrLee is just really nice

Wow, I'm really glad I looked on this forum today and found this thread. It's strange, WARPed but I could have almost written your initial post word for word.

I'm living in New Tampa (just north of you) and have been in the States since November last year. I moved here with my (American) wife and have been looking for work ever since. I'm in (or should I say was!) IT/Telecomms as a project manager (no degree but with professional qualifications and experience) and just haven't been able to catch a break. I've applied for hundreds of jobs and even been applying for things well below my experience levels just to try and get work and I'm getting nowhere. I'm incredibly frustrated by it all and my wife and I aren't sure what to do. We're looking at the PNW as that should give me a better chance at a job and it's an area my wife knows and loves. Seattle and Portland were both on our list of where to live when we moved to the States but Tampa won out because of the sun.

This thread is really useful and confirms quite a bit about my expectations for the PNW along with some great links.

I think the Tampa area does have a lot going for it what with proximity to beaches, theme parks, amenities etc but it just hasn't lived up to our expectations and these were pretty down to earth. I know a lot of it is down to the lack of a job and if I found good emplyment tomorrow I'd certainly be happier but I'm fairly certain our future lies in a different state. Luckily my wife has a job in the medical field and should be able to find work anywhere so it's just me we need to worry about. Our rental lease runs until Feb next year so if I don't have a job by the end of the year then we'll seriously be looking at the move. Maybe before if I get too frustrated! In fact I actually applied to a couple of the Amazon jobs because they look like such a good fit!

I hope things work out for you and you manage to get work (either here or elsewhere), as somebody who hasn't been looking as long as you in a very similar situation I can only imagine how frustrated you are!!
Old Aug 12th 2010, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE Mr Lee

It's nice to find people with similar experiences, even if they are not always good ones! We are happy you found us too
Old Aug 12th 2010, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hello MrLee and welcome. I'm both sorry, and relieved, to hear you are in a similar boat to me. I was genuinely starting to feel like there must be some kind of problem with me that was not getting me the work but I see I am not alone in the Bay area. Sadly not much has changed since my first post, except maybe my frustrations and unhappiness has deepened.

For me a move to the PNW is unlikely at the moment. My wife has expressed quite clearly that it is not a destination for her (in fact a move anywhere is generally not wanted). Being native Floridian, the fact that it might get cold and grey there in the winter, and the distance from her family, puts a stop to it. I still hope to one day afford a long trip up there that might open her mind to the possible benefits beyond the weather.

My future remains uncertain. Tampa Bay continues to be as undesirable as ever, but if leaving isn't an option then I have no choice but to just try to knuckle down and in some cases bury my head in the sand to all the things that upset me. I've blocked all news sites (especially Bay News 9!!!!) except the BBC on my router to hide myself from the realities of the area and in some cases the realities of the US. I'm trying to start my own business part time that will at least supply some income even if I only get 1 client, and will start college on Aug 23rd (still not sure if I'm going to get a certificate an AS or a 4 year degree). To sweeten the event for me I'm allowing myself to study a subject in an entirely new field (still not picked which one though) as I am pretty burnt out on IT.

I hope you have some success in your efforts finding work and should a move to the PNW work out for you then PLEASE let me know how you found the transition. Did it meet your expectations etc etc. Until then...don't forget the sunscreen and enjoy being a prisoner in your own home until things cool off in November.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 2:48 am
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WARPed
, the fact that it might get cold and grey there in the winter,
No might about it - it WILL get cold and grey... but sometimes even those days can be glorious.... nothing like lighting the fire and snuggling up with a movie after walking the dog in the rain!!

I am sorry to hear you won't be moving anytime soon, these things work both ways maybe you and your wife can find somewhere in between that will make both of you happy!

Good luck to you both!
Old Aug 13th 2010, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

keaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Warped,
Just got on here and have started reading your message posted in March. I live near the Canadian Border, (but US side) and have a fantastic view of Mt. Baker, plus all the Canadian mountains in the distance. I love it here. All my visiting family love it here. The weather right now is set to hit 90f, so not always cold!
Yes, the winters can get miserable, but the seasons are beautiful. I love the autumn probably more than the spring - and the colours in the mountains are incredible. We have water all around us, (coming from the Isle of wight I needed that) and I live in a small, village-like area. I don't see the homeless, desperate situation you spoke of; people here seem very friendly and welcoming.
In 5yrs my rosy glasses slipped a few times; but mine was missing family so much I ached.. other stuff I have managed to replace.
I have always enjoyed visiting Seattle - and being home of Microsoft, would that help you?
I am sorry if I am repeating all that others have said; I will go through it all later, but right now i'm heading outdoors for 20mins of that sun and a lovely mug of Seattle's Best Coffee!!!
I would recommend this place to people in a heartbeat, especially ex-pats as the climate is so much like we are used to!!
Good luck and hope to hear from you soon.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 7:24 am
Bulldawgy dawg

Location: Currently living in Medway, Kent UK. Hoping to be living in the Tr-Cities, Washington state, USA
Master_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really nice

Originally Posted by keaki80
Hi Warped,
Just got on here and have started reading your message posted in March. I live near the Canadian Border, (but US side) and have a fantastic view of Mt. Baker, plus all the Canadian mountains in the distance. I love it here. All my visiting family love it here. The weather right now is set to hit 90f, so not always cold!
Yes, the winters can get miserable, but the seasons are beautiful. I love the autumn probably more than the spring - and the colours in the mountains are incredible. We have water all around us, (coming from the Isle of wight I needed that) and I live in a small, village-like area. I don't see the homeless, desperate situation you spoke of; people here seem very friendly and welcoming.
In 5yrs my rosy glasses slipped a few times; but mine was missing family so much I ached.. other stuff I have managed to replace.
I have always enjoyed visiting Seattle - and being home of Microsoft, would that help you?
I am sorry if I am repeating all that others have said; I will go through it all later, but right now i'm heading outdoors for 20mins of that sun and a lovely mug of Seattle's Best Coffee!!!
I would recommend this place to people in a heartbeat, especially ex-pats as the climate is so much like we are used to!!
Good luck and hope to hear from you soon.
Hi WARPed...I'm an Essex boy too! From Colchester! I am also looking to live in WA...Tri-Cities to be exact. I visted the place recently and stayed with my girlfriend...during my stay we took a trip down to Portland Oregon. It is AWESOME up there and I cannot wait to live there (luck willing).

And if you're feeling home sick, this should make you feel better..."Oi oi geezer!"

I once said to this Essex girl "Look! A dead seagull!" and she looked up...
Old Aug 13th 2010, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Master_Bulldog
Hi WARPed...I'm an Essex boy too! From Colchester! I am also looking to live in WA...Tri-Cities to be exact. I visted the place recently and stayed with my girlfriend...during my stay we took a trip down to Portland Oregon. It is AWESOME up there and I cannot wait to live there (luck willing).

And if you're feeling home sick, this should make you feel better..."Oi oi geezer!"

I once said to this Essex girl "Look! A dead seagull!" and she looked up...

You're a lucky man.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 7:30 am
Bulldawgy dawg

Location: Currently living in Medway, Kent UK. Hoping to be living in the Tr-Cities, Washington state, USA
Master_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really nice

You're a lucky man.
Yeah, you think? I've lived in the Medway towns in Kent for the last 2 years...nothing but chavs and pikeys here matey! LOL
Old Aug 13th 2010, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Yeah, you think? I've lived in the Medway towns in Kent for the last 2 years...nothing but chavs and pikeys here matey! LOL
I mean where you are headed...not where you are! I don't miss the Chavs or Pikeys one bit...but here they are replaced by rednecks and other assorted Walmart regulars. Swings and roundabouts as they say. Believe it or not I do miss some things about Essex...well when compared to FL anyway.

Hey keep us updated on your move. If you finally get there please let me know how you find it once you are actually living there (big difference to visiting!!!!).
Old Aug 13th 2010, 7:52 am
Bulldawgy dawg

I mean where you are headed...not where you are! I don't miss the Chavs or Pikeys one bit...but here they are replaced by rednecks and other assorted Walmart regulars. Swings and roundabouts as they say. Believe it or not I do miss some things about Essex...well when compared to FL anyway.

Hey keep us updated on your move. If you finally get there please let me know how you find it once you are actually living there (big difference to visiting!!!!).
I really miss Colchester...as I keep telling my American lady we shit history there! LOL And I've always been rather unhappy at the reputation Essex has..so unfair!

I tell myself that me moving to WA with my lovely gf is God's way of compensating me for tolerating Medway! Ha ha!

And yes, I am fully aware that visiting is very different to actually living somewhere but I have faith in my partner to guide me through any mine fields.
The main thing I am concerned about is the health system..it's kind of scary if you ask me!

BTW, just a thought but as you are an IT guru...ever thought about setting up a internet based business? Just an idea.

Wanna add me mate? I miss a good old Essex boy banter!
Old Aug 13th 2010, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

keaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of light

I really miss Colchester...as I keep telling my American lady we shit history there! LOL And I've always been rather unhappy at the reputation Essex has..so unfair!

I tell myself that me moving to WA with my lovely gf is God's way of compensating me for tolerating Medway! Ha ha!

And yes, I am fully aware that visiting is very different to actually living somewhere but I have faith in my partner to guide me through any mine fields.
The main thing I am concerned about is the health system..it's kind of scary if you ask me!

BTW, just a thought but as you are an IT guru...ever thought about setting up a internet based business? Just an idea.

Wanna add me mate? I miss a good old Essex boy banter!
Think my post got completely overlooked by WARPed.. but no worries.
Have fun you guys. I'm no Essesx man! Love the joke though Bulldog:-) Was she blonde?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.