Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Medical Treatment U.S insurance, bills urgent!!

Medical Treatment U.S insurance, bills urgent!!

Old May 13th 2010, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Treatment U.S insurance, bills urgent!!

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The NHS doctor should have charged the patient if they are not a UK resident whether they've paid UK taxes in the past or are still doing so. Only UK residents are entitled to free NHS care at the point of service. AFAIK only emergency A&E hospital treatment is free for non UK residents. The doctor probably assumed that a person with a British accent is a UK resident.
I offered to pay and the doctor declined to accept payment. He knew full well I wasn't habitually resident in the UK as we had a chat about what emigrating and living in San Francisco was like. My take it was simply too much trouble for them to deal with someone paying, but legally I should have been charged.
Old May 13th 2010, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozone Park
I haven't read this entire thread but medical bills in the U.S. are routinely written off by hospitals. They will not seize property, lol. If they did Hospitals would own the bloody county
Then why is inability to pay medical bills the most common reason for people to declare bankruptcy? Hospitals do routinely write off bills, but usually only for people without enough income to pay from or assets to liquidate.
Old May 13th 2010, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I offered to pay and the doctor declined to accept payment. He knew full well I wasn't habitually resident in the UK as we had a chat about what emigrating and living in San Francisco was like. My take it was simply too much trouble for them to deal with someone paying, but legally I should have been charged.
Thanks Giantaxe, I thought that might be the case, That happened to me too, I am British, I left the UK when I was 20 but sound American, I didn't have my NI number or card so I was told they would bill me, I gave them my local UK address and expected a bill but never received one.

I'm not saying all Americans should expect to be seen for free, Not at all, but I was pushing the issue of money not being the number one issue in the UK, wouldn't it be nice if it was like that here in America, for example, when I went to the Emergency room with a kidney stone problem, it would have been nice if they would take care of me and my pain sooner than me having to wait in line to fill out paper work as per usual.
Old May 13th 2010, 4:10 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Six pages of twaddle by an idiot OP ...

Please try to do better .. I am a sick msn ..
Old May 13th 2010, 4:16 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
.. I am a sick msn ..
You are a sick Internet platform operated by a large software conglomerate?
Old May 13th 2010, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't read this entire thread but medical bills in the U.S. are routinely written off by hospitals. They will not seize property, lol. If they did Hospitals would own the bloody county
They will pursue medical bills and they will set the big boys on you. Every billing software package has a feature to set up payment letters. The nicer "you owe us this much, pay buy X," the not so nice "you haven't paid, this is your last warning," and the not at all nice "you haven't paid, we just sent your account to a collections agency." Most will have contracts with various collection agencies to buy the debt at a certain amount on the dollar and when it hits a pre-defined date a file is electronically sent to a collections agency with all the needed info to see if they want it or not. More often than not they want it.
Old May 13th 2010, 5:08 pm
Banned

Ozone Park will become famous soon enough

They don't typically take people to court for medical bills.
Old May 13th 2010, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

No, but depending on the size of the bill they will. Plus, I think I would rather go to court compared to being on the hook to a debt collector. I think it will happen more since the credit crunch is starting to hit the healthcare industry.
Old May 13th 2010, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Stop and think about this for a moment. Why do you think so many people file for bankruptcy because of inability to pay medical bills? Do you really think they'd do so if they weren't being sued for non-payment?

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/hea...cal_bills.html
Old May 13th 2010, 5:26 pm
Banned

Ozone Park will become famous soon enough

Stop and think about this for a moment. Why do you think so many people file for bankruptcy because of inability to pay medical bills? Do you really think they'd do so if they weren't being sued for non-payment?

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/hea...cal_bills.html
Because they don't like the constant phone calls and threatening letters. Get caller I.D. and throw the letters out love
Old May 13th 2010, 5:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

If that's true why do we pay for health insurance and copays? Why don't we all go to the doctor's/hospital...get treatment and refuse to pay?
Old May 13th 2010, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I think it will happen more since the credit crunch is starting to hit the healthcare industry.
My doctor's billing service has certainly got more aggressive about chasing up copayments, even for trivial balances under $20. I now get automated messages (to a cell phone number I thought I was providing so my doctor could contact me about medical matters...) asking for payment. I even got a threat to take a $15 copayment to a debt-collector!
Old May 13th 2010, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

My doctor's billing service has certainly got more aggressive about chasing up copayments, even for trivial balances under $20. I now get automated messages (to a cell phone number I thought I was providing so my doctor could contact me about medical matters...) asking for payment. I even got a threat to take a $15 copayment to a debt-collector!
I think they are all getting more aggressive about collecting on unpaid bills...We actually got a letter this week from an eye clinic that hubby had been too over 9 months ago, we thought the insurance covered the 'special' eye drops they insisted hubby use, but obviously not. This bill had a date issued of August 09, but we had heard nothing about owing it until this week! The bill is for over $80, they even included a late fee!
Old May 13th 2010, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Englishtart
I think they are all getting more aggressive about collecting on unpaid bills...We actually got a letter this week from an eye clinic that hubby had been too over 9 months ago, we thought the insurance covered the 'special' eye drops they insisted hubby use, but obviously not. This bill had a date issued of August 09, but we had heard nothing about owing it until this week! The bill is for over $80, they even included a late fee!
Insurance companies also can go back and "unpay" bills believe it or not. They decided - after a year - that a bill they'd paid for a daughter they shouldn't have. Medical facility says their contract with the insurance company permits this, so she got billed over a year after service, including the ubiquitous "late fee". She declined to pay and they did eventually write off the charge.
Old May 13th 2010, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Insurance companies also can go back and "unpay" bills believe it or not. They decided - after a year - that a bill they'd paid for a daughter they shouldn't have. Medical facility says their contract with the insurance company permits this, so she got billed over a year after service, including the ubiquitous "late fee". She declined to pay and they did eventually write off the charge.
Seems pretty stupid to me, but then it's not the silliest thing I have heard! I called the vision place yesterday and got an attitude from the receptionist! She did eventually take off the late fee, IF I paid the bill by credit card over the phone that minute!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.