Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Medical Treatment U.S insurance, bills urgent!!

Medical Treatment U.S insurance, bills urgent!!

Old May 17th 2010, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Treatment U.S insurance, bills urgent!!

Originally Posted by Ozone Park
What about END OF SUBJECT don't you understand?
Just because you said it doesn't make it so. I'm actually curious how the maths works on this. The budget for medicare seems to be somewhere between 30% and 50% of the total defense spend depending on whats included in that spend but only covers about 15% of the population. How can you eliminate all the exclusions, minimize the out of pocket expenses and cover everyone by cutting a budget that alone wouldn't be enough if the whole thing was added to the medicare one. I don't even think the entire tax revenue each year would be enough to cover what you suggest.
Old May 17th 2010, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
Our son Graduated (A-) from UGA, 5/8/2010, very exciting & great event. Proud parents & family.
While still looking for gainfull employment, SWMBO's job, medical ins will no longer cover the the boy wonder, he is now on COBRA (Yes several of us know about, that dreaded word) $566 per month UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Touch wood, knock on wood, boy/man/giant, has not been to the quacks in 4years of UNI, but we are not happy to take risk.

Reg. Frank R.

Ps. Son came off policy, premiums are going down by about $28 per month, guess $28 = $566, Ummmmmmmmmmmm
I am in exactly the same position next month. It's a real conundrum, especially given what happened to an elder daughter. Three months after she was no longer eligible on my insurance, she got appendicitis and the legacy of $28k in medical bills that she has no hope in hell of paying off. After 16 months, she's gotten $21k written off, but is still fighting debt collectors etc over the other $7k.

The good news is that thanks to Obama the US is turning into a Bolshevik republic, and adult children up to age 26 must be covered on employer-provided insurance. This kicks in at the start of the first "plan year" after Sep 23rd, which will typically mean Jan 1st 2011. However, some insurers are starting this on the Sep 23rd date (but not mine, unfortunately).
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna

You're a stitch. Really.
I though arrogant tosser would be better
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I would be against bringing an identical system to the NHS here because it wouldn't work. There are too many people to cover, especially in the upper age range who require a lot more access, projected population growth that is way too fast for it to handle and 50 different state governments that will cause problems. There is no system in any country that you can just create a near carbon copy of here and expect it to work. The NHS is one system that can be looked at and certain aspects used but not 100%.

Thanks for your honest answer Duncan, at least I know where you stand.

We can all come up with reasons why an NHS system wouldn't or couldn't work, Yes, even those of us that are positive know it would not be an easy step to take and yes I have no doubt we would have some major major problems along the way, that being said its not impossible and if it benefits most of us why not do it.

Too many people to cover, with all due respect numbers shouldn't make any difference in my opinion, everything is relative, we have more people but we also have more doctors and Nurses than the UK, I'm sure it must be close to equal in proportions.

The 50 state governments could be a problem but the IRS has no problem dealing with people in every state, so why does that have to be a problem, make it a federal plan.

Ok so you say we could use a NHS system of sorts but not use it 100%, I agree, now we have to decide what part's you dont like.
Old May 17th 2010, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I am in exactly the same position next month. It's a real conundrum, especially given what happened to an elder daughter. Three months after she was no longer eligible on my insurance, she got appendicitis and the legacy of $28k in medical bills that she has no hope in hell of paying off. After 16 months, she's gotten $21k written off, but is still fighting debt collectors etc over the other $7k.

The good news is that thanks to Obama the US is turning into a Bolshevik republic, and adult children up to age 26 must be covered on employer-provided insurance. This kicks in at the start of the first "plan year" after Sep 23rd, which will typically mean Jan 1st 2011. However, some insurers are starting this on the Sep 23rd date (but not mine, unfortunately).
Wife's Company policy is holding out until 09/2010, oddly enough the insurance company, for those with personal policies, is initiating the "Up to 26 yr old”, plan immediately.
My understanding is that though parents will be able to keep children on their plans until 26, is that does not mean, that the Company/work plan will have to pay the lions share of that cost.

Reg. Frank R.

Last edited by frrussre; May 17th 2010 at 5:32 pm. Reason: Hit go to fast!
Old May 17th 2010, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Just because you said it doesn't make it so. I'm actually curious how the maths works on this. The budget for medicare seems to be somewhere between 30% and 50% of the total defense spend depending on whats included in that spend but only covers about 15% of the population. How can you eliminate all the exclusions, minimize the out of pocket expenses and cover everyone by cutting a budget that alone wouldn't be enough if the whole thing was added to the medicare one. I don't even think the entire tax revenue each year would be enough to cover what you suggest.
Your analysis is a little odd. Medicare covers the oldest segment of the population, where medical costs are far the highest. Medicare spends $50bn a year for healthcare for just the last two months of patients' lives. You really can't "gross up" what Medicare costs for the 15% it currently covers to come up with a figure for the entire population. Additionally, it's not a zero sum game. In the hypothetical situation where medicare covered the entire population, $$$s that currently go to health insurance would go to Medicare.
Old May 17th 2010, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by frrussre
Wife's Company policy is holding out until 09/2010, oddly enough the insurance company, for those with personal policies, is initiating the "Up to 26 yr old”, plan immediately.
My understanding is that though parents will be able to keep children on their plans until 26, is that does not mean, that the Company/work plan will have to pay the lions share of that cost.
Your wife's company is presumably "self insured", and uses the insurance company merely to administer the insurance. In such cases, companies can start later (the start of the next plan year) even if the insurance company itself is starting on Sep 23rd. It sounds like you have the worst case scenario in that your wife's company's plan year starts just before the Sep 23rd date.

Your second point is an interesting one. I have asked the question as to whether they can legally charge more for "adult children" than for other children and never got a definitive answer. I haven't seen anything on the Internet addressing this either.
Old May 17th 2010, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Your wife's company is presumably "self insured", and uses the insurance company merely to administer the insurance. In such cases, companies can start later (the start of the next plan year) even if the insurance company itself is starting on Sep 23rd. It sounds like you have the worst case scenario in that your wife's company's plan year starts just before the Sep 23rd date.

Your second point is an interesting one. I have asked the question as to whether they can legally charge more for "adult children" than for other children and never got a definitive answer. I haven't seen anything on the Internet addressing this either.
Yes, wife RN, works for major medical corp "Take no prisoners", or as I like to say "They are not in the healthcare business, they are in the business, business, 1000 hospitals or 1000 butchers shops or gas stations.

We have also asked the question, about adult children & who will pay, can't seem to get an answer.

Reg. Frank R.
Old May 17th 2010, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Your analysis is a little odd. Medicare covers the oldest segment of the population, where medical costs are far the highest. Medicare spends $50bn a year for healthcare for just the last two months of patients' lives. You really can't "gross up" what Medicare costs for the 15% it currently covers to come up with a figure for the entire population. Additionally, it's not a zero sum game. In the hypothetical situation where medicare covered the entire population, $$$s that currently go to health insurance would go to Medicare.
I know you can't add it up pound for pound but with adding everyone you also add a lot of chronic illness, things like pregnancy, pediatrics and a whole lot of stuff that just doesn't apply to the current users. Medicaid users fill in a bit of that but it's still a whole lot of cost to be absorbed. I do agree that money in the health insurance industry would go along way to paying for it but you have to keep in mind that right now they are technically voluntary contributions so unless you turned them into a tax you can't guarantee that money will be there.
Old May 17th 2010, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I do agree that money in the health insurance industry would go along way to paying for it but you have to keep in mind that right now they are technically voluntary contributions so unless you turned them into a tax you can't guarantee that money will be there.
Well, that's a different issue... from a financial standpoint, I think a single-payer system like Medicare would have been the way to go. From a political standpoint, as we saw, it was a complete non-starter.
Old May 17th 2010, 6:11 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
I though arrogant tosser would be better
Give the kid a break - he's clearly not acting of his own free will...

Old May 17th 2010, 6:37 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Give the kid a break - he's clearly not acting of his own free will...

http://icanhascheezburger.files.word...shes-child.jpg
ooh, is it post-cat-pictures time?!
Attached Thumbnails Medical Treatment U.S insurance, bills urgent!!-basementcat.jpg  
Old May 17th 2010, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light

Cats?
Attached Thumbnails Medical Treatment U.S insurance, bills urgent!!-lazycat1.jpg  
Old May 17th 2010, 8:53 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
ooh, is it post-cat-pictures time?!
It's always that time.

Originally Posted by srefre
Cats?
Armed cats.
Attached Thumbnails Medical Treatment U.S insurance, bills urgent!!-smleno4mk1.jpg  
Old May 18th 2010, 1:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Aaaarggghhh!!
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.