Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Medical Treatment U.S insurance, bills urgent!!

Medical Treatment U.S insurance, bills urgent!!

Old May 14th 2010, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Treatment U.S insurance, bills urgent!!

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
For example, tieing health care access to employment is just such a terrible idea for both employers and employees, but trying to break that link has proved completely impossible.
Most other countries tie some sort of cost to the employer to cover healthcare, usually a tax. In a weird way, the US way makes it more appealing for employers to give raises since the amount they pay for healthcare is going to be fixed regardless of how much employees earn but in other countries, the UK for example, the more the employees earn the more the employer will have to pay towards the healthcare cost. That £1000 raise becomes an £1100 cost and ends up as a £900 raise. That's not exact numbers but you get the point.

The US system has problems and needs changing but it's a lot more complicated than people make out.
Old May 14th 2010, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Most other countries tie some sort of cost to the employer to cover healthcare, usually a tax. In a weird way, the US way makes it more appealing for employers to give raises since the amount they pay for healthcare is going to be fixed regardless of how much employees earn but in other countries, the UK for example, the more the employees earn the more the employer will have to pay towards the healthcare cost. That £1000 raise becomes an £1100 cost and ends up as a £900 raise. That's not exact numbers but you get the point.
They tie in a cost, but typically not the actual access an employee is likely to have to healthcare. Big difference.

I am not sure I understand your example. Almost all NHS funding comes out of general taxation. If a company makes more profit they will be paying more to the NHS, just as they will be paying more for defence etc. If they don't make a profit, they effectively won't be contributing. Compare and contrast to the US system and a company like GM: drowning in red ink but still burdened with healthcare costs for its employees. Or, alternatively, employees get their health insurance removed or downgraded.

Last edited by Giantaxe; May 14th 2010 at 5:21 pm.
Old May 14th 2010, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

They tie in a cost, but typically not the actual access an employee is likely to have to healthcare. Big difference.

I am not sure I understand your example. Almost all NHS funding comes out of general taxation.
Yes, the access is generally not tied to the company. I think Germany has a system where it can partially be but not mandated.

My example of the NHS is that national insurance pays a part and the employee contribution is only 50% of the premium, the employer picks up the remaining 50%. So when a company gives a raise they are giving the raise money plus the additional NI on that increase.
Old May 14th 2010, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

My example of the NHS is that national insurance pays a part and the employee contribution is only 50% of the premium, the employer picks up the remaining 50%. So when a company gives a raise they are giving the raise money plus the additional NI on that increase.
A very small proportion of NI contributions go to the NHS, and it's a tiny fraction of total NHS funding. I really don't think it's a big factor.
Old May 14th 2010, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A very small proportion of NI contributions go to the NHS, and it's a tiny fraction of total NHS funding. I really don't think it's a big factor.
It's not the portion that matters, just the fact that it is a cost to employers and it's not this magical free system that nobody pays for that a lot of people say.
Old May 14th 2010, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's not the portion that matters, just the fact that it is a cost to employers and it's not this magical free system that nobody pays for that a lot of people say.
Well, your argument appeared to be that it was a disincentive to raise pay in the UK. On that basis, the portion absolutely matters, as that is what determines what extra the employer is contributing to the NHS. My argument is that as the amount is small - and is even smaller compared to the amount funded out of general taxation - so it's really a non-issue.

Obviously the NHS is not a magical free system, but like for individuals, companies are effectively paying for it in accordance with their 'means" aka profits.
Old May 14th 2010, 6:00 pm

EU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud of

Dear Bowenaj37,
you are either unaware of the insurance policies or you want to take advantage of the system. Hope the first one is true and we can forget the latter. If so, by that time ( 9 page replies from people who have taken your post seriously and wanted to give you a helpful answer) you know the answer. The answer is NO.

Should you go ahead after being aware of the answer:NO, and get travel insurance, get non-emergency operation with success and do not pay/deny payment, then you are a scam and hope you will get caught and deported!

Best regards,
EU_Gal (a honest, legal immigrant)
Old May 14th 2010, 6:34 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the access is generally not tied to the company. I think Germany has a system where it can partially be but not mandated.

also bear in mind that the NI contributiuon has an upper cap -= so once the employee is paid over that amount the NI payments dont go up any more.
Old May 14th 2010, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

I can't remember anyone saying it was 'free', but that really isn't the point is it? How many people do you know that have gone bankrupt in the UK from medical bills?

UK residents can obviously afford to pay the contributions to the NHS, nobody I know would move to the US to get better/cheaper health care, yet there are plenty of people (read the MBTTUK forum) that are going home to the UK because they cannot afford to stay here once they start to need more and more medical help.
Old May 14th 2010, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I am very well aware of the shortcomings of the US system. The $10,000+ a year just for me to stay alive would cause major problems should I ever lose my health insurance. I also don't have access to things that would make it easier for me because I can't afford them, even with insurance. You have to look at the good and the bad of the system and how it really works before coming up with a solution. I've been slowly researching it for 5 years but I still don't understand most of it.
Old May 14th 2010, 7:18 pm
Banned

Ozone Park will become famous soon enough

The US system has problems and needs changing but it's a lot more complicated than people make out.

Complicated? Oh really? Is it more complicated than building roads, bridges, mass transit, providing for the defense, police and fire protection, postal or any of the other basic services government provides? Is it more complicated than Social Security or Medicare? How's that insurance industry kool-aid tasting Duncan?

It's real simple friends, America's military budget is almost bigger than the rest of the worlds combined. Who are they afraid of again? The money spent on this giant corporate welfare, and jobs program for defense workers to build crap they don't need can be used to provide health care for it's people. It's not complicated at all. America spends more on weapons than the next top 15 military powers combined. Maybe they should cut that in half and only spend as much as the next 8 military powers combined, and see who invades them.

Complicated?

http://www.nationalpriorities.org/tr...=Get+Trade+Off
Old May 14th 2010, 7:24 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozone Park
Complicated? Oh really? Is it more complicated than building roads, bridges, mass transit, providing for the defense, police and fire protection, postal or any of the other basic services government provides? Is it more complicated than Social Security or Medicare?
But there are systems in place for all these things that have been built up over the years; the complication is in setting up an immense totally new system, which will be looked at more critically and by more people than most new highways, from scratch.
Old May 14th 2010, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ozone Park
C
It's real simple friends, America's military budget is almost bigger than the rest of the worlds combined. Who are they afraid of again? The money spent on this giant corporate welfare, and jobs program for defense workers to build crap they don't need can be used to provide health care for it's people. It's not complicated at all. America spends more on weapons than the next top 15 military powers combined. Maybe they should cut that in half and only spend as much as the next 8 military powers combined, and see who invades them.
The US's spending priorities are undoubtedly misguided (and we never hear these teabag people wanting to cut military spending, of course...) but that's only one part of the puzzle. The bottom line is that the US spends a far bigger proportion of its GDP on healthcare (16%) than any other western nation, and yet still leaves a good chunk of its population outside of the "system".
Old May 14th 2010, 7:33 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
But there are systems in place for all these things that have been built up over the years; the complication is in setting up an immense totally new system.
It's called Medicare- It's already in place,they just have to hire more people. Perhaps displaced defense industry employees?

Real Simple- Medicare for everyone

Next!?
Old May 14th 2010, 7:36 pm
Banned

The US's spending priorities are undoubtedly misguided (and we never hear these teabag people wanting to cut military spending, of course...) but that's only one part of the puzzle. The bottom line is that the US spends a far bigger proportion of its GDP on healthcare (16%) than any other western nation, and yet still leaves a good chunk of its population outside of the "system".
Thats right! Right now they spend more, and they get less. Right now. Once that's understood any argument about cost goes right out the window.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.