Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Matchmaking Services in the US- Your Thoughts?

Matchmaking Services in the US- Your Thoughts?

Old Dec 21st 2004, 11:51 pm
Franklin

Default Re: Matchmaking Services in the US- Your Thoughts?

Originally Posted by snowbunny
But make sure you don't tell them if you've had the snip or have any fertility problems. Bad karma there.
I found online dating agencies a lot of fun when I lived alone in Chicago, I think women and men recently separated or divorced go through a phase when they want to "date" a lot. After a while though online dating loses its sheen and it can become tedious and even onerous. Anyway, there are plenty of women/men about, just got to open your eyes and "see". So there are plenty of alternatives to on-line dating.

Old Dec 22nd 2004, 12:18 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to marry a Brit, and they are in woefully short supply here. Just going to the pub isn't enough! There are quite literally waiting lists with my various friends because there are loads of Anglophile women here in the States who want to marry a Brit. I can't speak to the others' motivations, but I do know the country and culture (modern, not Jane Austen) enough to know that I'm more compatible with Brits than Yanks (reams of personality tests; and no, they aren't skewed to favour a girl who says, Oh, I LOVE cricket! ).

Most of the fellas here are either college students not ready to settle down; or here through marriage to an American citizen. This is a lovely place to live, but trying to sell the States, especially Texas, is rough going given our current CEO and the publicity of the British press who have labelled 52% of us as stupid. (And that 52% is, in my opinion.)
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard very good things about EHarmony too - in fact one of my coworkers met her soon to be husband on there and she knows of 3 other people who met their partners on teh same site. I met Robert on Yahoo Personals, in fact I dated quite a few guys from there - good and bad both lol... they say that a high percentage of people on these kind of sites are married - hardly surprising I guess - but if you are over the bar scene, and don't know a lot of people then I think it's a great way to meet people...

Initially I had reactions of horror from friends "You're meeting a guy from THE INTERNET!!" shock horror - but you know, how well do you know someone when you meet th em in the more conventional ways.... anyone I ever met I had emailed fairly extensively and talked with on the phone and I always met them for lunch or coffee in a very public place...

I did once meet a guy in Hueys though who told me he was Greek, 29 and showed me a picture... showed up and he was about 55 and wearing a turban hee hee.... Now that is when the backup friend who calls you to say she's having an emergency comes in!

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
The crazy Anglophile coworker on my floor has admitted that she got dumped by her most recent boyfriend the eve before Thanksgiving.

Personally speaking, it was probably best for both parties...

Anyway, the female coworker has admitted that she's used match.com to find a boyfriend but it didn't work out and she's just shelled out to become a member of eharmony.com.

She is more positive about eharmony because she had to complete a substantial questionnaire (she said it took all evening to complete) and so far, she's had 10 potential matches (within 30 miles of where she lives) that she can choose to follow up.

Do you know of anyone in the US who's used such services? Were they successful in finding a partner (even spouse?)? Would you use such a service?

Personally, I imagine a lot of people aren't wholly honest when trying to describe themselves and their interests.

And for all you single British guys out there, she's dead keen to meet a British man but here's the bad news! I think she's more than slightly off her rocker so I wouldn't be so cruel and introduce you to her...

NC Penguin
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 1:36 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to marry a Brit,
why? we're all wankers.

oh just me then?
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 1:44 am
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
why? we're all wankers.
i think this is one of them times when I better not comment.
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 1:46 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by candy wy.
i think this is one of them times when I better not comment.
thanks for your vote of confidence Miss Candy.
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 1:51 am
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for your vote of confidence Miss Candy.
i am sure you are an ok brit guy
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 1:54 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

why? we're all wankers.

oh just me then?
This is an example of a Manc chatup line BTW...

NC Penguin
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 2:01 am
@matthewb76

This is an example of a Manc chatup line BTW...

NC Penguin
nowt wrong with my technique love............
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 2:18 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

nowt wrong with my technique love............
I forgot the smillie. It was a joke!

NC Penguin
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 2:20 am
@matthewb76

I forgot the smillie. It was a joke!

NC Penguin
I know S.
You think I take any of the drivel I read on here seriously?

but still, my technique was excellent. Rohypnol is the bomb.
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 2:22 am
staying around

It was a joke!

NC Penguin
don't worry about it so is his technique
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 6:29 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

why? we're all wankers.

oh just me then?
I had a Scottish bloke proudly show me the difference in size between his left forearm and his right (he's right-handed). He then said that the English were wankers too, only they were worse cos they denied doing it!
I think this was honestly a sort of chat up line but I wouldn't recommend using it.
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 1:44 pm
@matthewb76

I had a Scottish bloke proudly show me the difference in size between his left forearm and his right (he's right-handed). He then said that the English were wankers too, only they were worse cos they denied doing it!
I think this was honestly a sort of chat up line but I wouldn't recommend using it.
I see you've met Jambo_2003 already then.
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 1:50 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

If you hang around Brits long enough, you'll discover that the English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish don't get on with each other plus there's a North-South divide within England!

And if you get a male British football fan talking about his beloved team, you'll have a burning ear within a matter of minutes (probably).

NC Penguin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.