Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Matchmaking Services in the US- Your Thoughts?

Matchmaking Services in the US- Your Thoughts?

Old Nov 30th 2004, 6:28 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Question Matchmaking Services in the US- Your Thoughts?

The crazy Anglophile coworker on my floor has admitted that she got dumped by her most recent boyfriend the eve before Thanksgiving.

Personally speaking, it was probably best for both parties...

Anyway, the female coworker has admitted that she's used match.com to find a boyfriend but it didn't work out and she's just shelled out to become a member of eharmony.com.

She is more positive about eharmony because she had to complete a substantial questionnaire (she said it took all evening to complete) and so far, she's had 10 potential matches (within 30 miles of where she lives) that she can choose to follow up.

Do you know of anyone in the US who's used such services? Were they successful in finding a partner (even spouse?)? Would you use such a service?

Personally, I imagine a lot of people aren't wholly honest when trying to describe themselves and their interests.

And for all you single British guys out there, she's dead keen to meet a British man but here's the bad news! I think she's more than slightly off her rocker so I wouldn't be so cruel and introduce you to her...

NC Penguin
Old Nov 30th 2004, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

pompeylad will become famous soon enoughpompeylad will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Matchmaking Services in the US- Your Thoughts?

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
The crazy Anglophile coworker on my floor has admitted that she got dumped by her most recent boyfriend the eve before Thanksgiving.

Personally speaking, it was probably best for both parties...

Anyway, the female coworker has admitted that she's used match.com to find a boyfriend but it didn't work out and she's just shelled out to become a member of eharmony.com.

She is more positive about eharmony because she had to complete a substantial questionnaire (she said it took all evening to complete) and so far, she's had 10 potential matches (within 30 miles of where she lives) that she can choose to follow up.

Do you know of anyone in the US who's used such services? Were they successful in finding a partner (even spouse?)? Would you use such a service?

Personally, I imagine a lot of people aren't wholly honest when trying to describe themselves and their interests.

And for all you single British guys out there, she's dead keen to meet a British man but here's the bad news! I think she's more than slightly off her rocker so I wouldn't be so cruel and introduce you to her...

NC Penguin

Newbie alert!!! I've been reading stuff on this website for about 18 months, never got round to registering......been living in Denver all that time. Jeez, what have I been missing?!?!?!

Anyway, I joined Eharmony in Oct 2003, met my current girlfriend a month later. In fact today is our first anniversary, that's my reason for posting.

I can recommend it. Very professional, thorough service. You get the personality profile ("a $40 value!!!!") at the start, then you're off. You get the chance to see who's interested in you before shelling out any cash, which is good!!! Only if you want to pursue any admirers do you have to stump up the $99 for 3 months (or at least it was when I joined).

I had no matches at the start for about two weeks but then they soon started rolling in.......my girlfriend was the first and only one I met!!!

Just a word of warning: I hear from others people who have tried that there is a percentage of people that (for want of a better expression) "can't be helped" by Eharmony Obvioulsy they put it a bit nicer than that! But someone said this could be as high a 7% of all those who sign up, something in your profile just triggers the "we can't help you" message. That would be a kick in the b*lls and no mistake, right?

Just go for it!!!!!
Old Nov 30th 2004, 7:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Matchmaking Services in the US- Your Thoughts?

Hehe...well how would you describe yourself on one of those sites?
I've a mate that uses them, but not to find the love of his life....just for a good weekend ride, you get the idea....bit like the whole five min speed dating jobby....
but they must work some of the times
Old Nov 30th 2004, 7:08 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Hehe...well how would you describe yourself on one of those sites?
I've a mate that uses them, but not to find the love of his life....just for a good weekend ride, you get the idea....bit like the whole five min speed dating jobby....
but they must work some of the times
I assume you're talking about a singleton, aren't you?

Maybe I've got this wrong but I thought the speed dating was just a fast way to find a date/boyfriend/girlfriend...

NC Penguin
Old Nov 30th 2004, 7:11 pm
Brit'n'TX

She is more positive about eharmony
well .. they do match you on 29 different dimensions of compatability ....

Old Nov 30th 2004, 7:26 pm
Bishop John MightBe

MightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit'n'TX
well .. they do match you on 29 different dimensions of compatability ....
But is she a good shag?????
Old Nov 30th 2004, 7:30 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by MightBe
But is she a good sag?????
Is that a typo or do you mean shag? If you mean slag, see my response below.

Um, if it's the latter I strongly suspect she hasn't had one yet 'cos of her faith (Catholicism). She goes to church at least once a week...

The only man in her life is Jesus

Can you tell I wasn't raised Catholic?

NC Penguin
Old Nov 30th 2004, 7:41 pm
Bishop John MightBe

MightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond repute

Is that a typo or do you mean shag? If you mean slag, see my response below.
Um, if it's the latter I strongly suspect she hasn't had one yet 'cos of her faith (Catholicism). She goes to church at least once a week...
The only man in her life is Jesus
Can you tell I wasn't raised Catholic?
NC Penguin
Umm Ok!! tell her to start practising wwith her lips so that thay can perform a perfect 'O' ..And its ok!! that sort of thing is not sex.. a democratic president said so.
Old Nov 30th 2004, 7:54 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by MightBe
Umm Ok!! tell her to start practising wwith her lips so that thay can perform a perfect 'O' ..And its ok!! that sort of thing is not sex.. a democratic president said so.
I imagine that she knows the theory. She just hasn't practised on the real thing so to speak...

NC Penguin
Old Nov 30th 2004, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

I imagine that she knows the theory. She just hasn't practised on the real thing so to speak...

NC Penguin

not a "Matching Site" as such.. but I used www.lycos.co.uk (their L@L Section) to meet my "soon to be" Ex wife... and I used www.webdate.com to meet my current girlfriend (moving in TODAY)... both not BAD sites.. lots of profiles... can be a pain filtering through the chafe BUT its FREEEEEEE so... it don't really matter.
Old Nov 30th 2004, 8:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I assume you're talking about a singleton, aren't you?

Maybe I've got this wrong but I thought the speed dating was just a fast way to find a date/boyfriend/girlfriend...
Aye, hes' kinda single....and he kinda shags anything with a pulse....last I heard from him, he was working his way down the east coast of Oz *l*
And speed dating, he just used that to get a few more notches....but if you weren't a chick, he was a really nice guy *lol*
Old Nov 30th 2004, 8:07 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, hes' kinda single....and he kinda shags anything with a pulse....last I heard from him, he was working his way down the east coast of Oz *l*
And speed dating, he just used that to get a few more notches....but if you weren't a chick, he was a really nice guy *lol*
Can't the gals say "no"? I hope this is consensual.
Old Nov 30th 2004, 9:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Can't the gals say "no"? I hope this is consensual.
Oh aye, it's nothing like that, he's just got a lot of onenight stands to his name...bit of a slag really *lol*
Plenty of no's, but more yae's...got a lot of front and asks a lot of people out.
Old Nov 30th 2004, 9:55 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Judging by just about everyone I've met over here, it's more unusual to find people who don't use internet dating sites. At least 6 of my friends here have met and married people they met on them.
Old Nov 30th 2004, 10:44 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Tell them to do what I did. Install ICQ and wait for a sexy American lass to pop and say hi. Two and a half years later, we're married

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.