Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Just need some friendly advice.

Just need some friendly advice.

Old Dec 8th 2007, 10:19 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just need some friendly advice.

Originally Posted by Boiler
Real numbers.

Assuming he has no Health Insurance issues, allow $25 per month for a policy with a large Deductible, basically catastrophe cover. You will be paying for all the usual minor issues out of pocket.
Wow, please PM any leads you have on that. The quotes I got for catastrophic care policies were nothing like that cheap.. $10K deductibles.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 4:28 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

you sound like the homesick thing has been really rammed home to you by the fire incident. You are in a state of grief/ extreme stress - and you need to have a bit of time to deal with that before making huge decisions that could mean you live the rest of your life in dire straights in the us. The advice sounds like you could be settin yourself up for even more misery in the future if you dont find some soultions.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 4:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
Wow, please PM any leads you have on that. The quotes I got for catastrophic care policies were nothing like that cheap.. $10K deductibles.
Typo, 250.....
Old Dec 9th 2007, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

valspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cynda59
Yes Tracy . I am from Ohio orginally.. My mom that raised me still lives in Ohio. my father is deceased.

I will worry about health insurance deal when I get there.. right now just want to get nigel through the I 130 Form and go from there.

I have a cocker spaniel Hollie. and we get her vaccinated for rabies and that every year... She due in January... and got her microchipped.. so all that is good to go.

Husband has worked for 38 years at the post office.. and I been going to college and doing the obesity support and bits and peices here and there.. due to my ill health I can never work a full time job.. IF he doesn't get retired very soon, I am still looking for part time work , and continue education.. so all bases are covered in that sence.

Living in the USA. is cheaper in the long run then the UK.. cause we can't afford 10 dollars agallon for gas.. and £250 thousand , for a house.. with just 2 bedrooms.. no yard.. and taxes and so on and so forth.

I need to go home and be near my family.. it has been nothing but heart ache... living in the UK .. people dying. life moving on and things.. and I am not there... a week ago.. Nov 29th.. got a call from my best friend who lives here in the UK.. and near by... her father tragically was killed in house fire.. .everyone made homeless.. no insurance. .no nothing.. 11 people made less.. and I am sick with grief.... I FEEL horriable for her.... and I cannot help but think.. what if that was my mom...... what if.. what if.... and it has made me want to go home even worst..... I just mentally cant handle being away from home any more... I miss my friends, my family.... it has just been me and my husband here in the UK for the last 8 years.. He had a gallabladder surgery in 2004. nearly died..... and no one was here to help.... I had my gastric bypass in 2004. as well... no one to help... and in 2002.. I had a stroke... 32 years old.. .and had a stroke...... my husband was all we had.. to lean on each other.. some of you would say oh that is enough. .that is fantastic.... no .. it isnt enough ..not when you need 24 hour care and things....Without him... I could not .. or would not be alive.. true..... but.. I want to go home... i am seriously losing it.. living here.. I love England. fantastic country and all... .but I want to go home....

Now maybe you can see why I am a bit over sensitive.. maybe yes.. maybe no..... but that is the facts
You know i can relate i have been thru hell and high water over here in the U.S. and feel i have no support system. That makes it all worse. we as humans are not meant to live without a strong network. We lose that often when we travel and it is what we need the most in bad times.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 6:19 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone.

My husband is British and working on immigration to the USA. and we need any advice can get. He is hoping to retire in 2008 from his job, and we move to Ohio. If anyone has been through this process. and can give us the ins and outs, I really would appreciate it.

Look forward to chatting you soon.

Cynda Gunn
Volunteer Patient Liasion for Obesity Awareness and obesity support person. You wish to lose weight, need help by someone who has been there. Contact Me !
Why do you want or need to move to the US? I ask because as others have pointed out, a part-time job even with benefits will probably not be enough to cover two people and any regular medications/prescriptions.

Does your husband have a pension from the UK that will help finances?
Old Dec 9th 2007, 6:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Why do you want or need to move to the US? I ask because as others have pointed out, a part-time job even with benefits will probably not be enough to cover two people and any regular medications/prescriptions.

Does your husband have a pension from the UK that will help finances?
There have been several threads on this - she is tremendously homesick, and has ill relatives in the U.S. and is very unhappy in the UK.

Yes he has a pension.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 6:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
There have been several threads on this - she is tremendously homesick, and has ill relatives in the U.S. and is very unhappy in the UK.

Yes he has a pension.
and it seems the OP is determined to move to the US no matter what costs are involved. I think it's a case of the heart ruling the head...most of us know what that feels like right?
Old Dec 9th 2007, 6:29 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
and it seems the OP is determined to move to the US no matter what costs are involved. I think it's a case of the heart ruling the head...most of us know what that feels like right?
Sure do...

But most of us, at the end of the day, do not make any rash life-changing decisions without consulting the head.

Whereas this lady seems determined to just go ahead and set herself up for a lot of misery and heartache.

IANAP, but it seems to me that she is clinically depressed and needs to resolve that before she can ponder the move and its implications in a rational manner.

But I guess she has already given up on us and moved on to other forums...
Old Dec 11th 2007, 5:00 am
'mon the cowboys

texas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Just need some friendly advice.

Originally Posted by Rushman
Then best of finding another board, this place isn't ideal for uptight septics with no sense of humour.
+1.
seems.. To.. Me.. That .. Its.. A..bit..more than friendly advice needed.
I'd suggest a psychiatric evaluation would be a good starting spot.
I know people have difficulties n all, but I personally can't put up with this emo victim crap.
Best piece of advice I've heard since being in yankland- "suck it up". And the lemons lemonade thing but only because it is so corny.
I wish the OP well, but I just can't get involved in that situation, so I'm not subscribing.

There - I've said it, and await the wrath of the righteous majority on this board.
C
Old Dec 11th 2007, 9:32 am
Just Joined

glue is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck US immigration is a real pain in the ass.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

Zoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of light

I've not read the other threads...

but does the husband have health issues?

If OP does not have means to support H, or the assets, or a co-sponsor....

OR if H has health issues, they may not even get to the US.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 2:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Zoot
I've not read the other threads...

but does the husband have health issues?

If OP does not have means to support H, or the assets, or a co-sponsor....

OR if H has health issues, they may not even get to the US.
OP has major health issues and no money.

Hubby is taking early retirement from the Post Office.

Judging by the tone of an earlier comment he has no major assets.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Zoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Boiler
OP has major health issues and no money.

Hubby is taking early retirement from the Post Office.

Judging by the tone of an earlier comment he has no major assets.
Thanks...

so...

what is she going to do for the Affadavit of Support? Does she have a co-sponsor?

If she cannot prove her ability to support him and they don't have the assets, they won't get in based on that alone.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

As far as UK insurance.. doesn't carry on to USA. already checked that out.
As I told you in the thread at Marriage Based Visas, look into it. Really no offense but you're screaming for help, then when people offer you advice you don't take it. There are expatriate insurance options from the UK. Follow this link: http://www.expats.org.uk/finance/ins-health.html . It's just one of the results I got from Google. If you just want to vent about your stress that's fine. Just try and get yourself together a bit, okay? You're not getting anywhere if you don't.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoot
Thanks...

so...

what is she going to do for the Affadavit of Support? Does she have a co-sponsor?

If she cannot prove her ability to support him and they don't have the assets, they won't get in based on that alone.
He will have a pension.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.