Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Just need some friendly advice.

Just need some friendly advice.

Old Dec 8th 2007, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Cynda59 is just really niceCynda59 is just really niceCynda59 is just really niceCynda59 is just really niceCynda59 is just really niceCynda59 is just really niceCynda59 is just really niceCynda59 is just really nice
Default Just need some friendly advice.

Hello everyone.

My husband is British and working on immigration to the USA. and we need any advice can get. He is hoping to retire in 2008 from his job, and we move to Ohio. If anyone has been through this process. and can give us the ins and outs, I really would appreciate it.

Look forward to chatting you soon.

Cynda Gunn
Volunteer Patient Liasion for Obesity Awareness and obesity support person. You wish to lose weight, need help by someone who has been there. Contact Me !
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just need some friendly advice.

Originally Posted by Cynda59
Hello everyone.

My husband is British and working on immigration to the USA. and we need any advice can get. He is hoping to retire in 2008 from his job, and we move to Ohio. If anyone has been through this process. and can give us the ins and outs, I really would appreciate it.

Look forward to chatting you soon.

Cynda Gunn
Volunteer Patient Liasion for Obesity Awareness and obesity support person. You wish to lose weight, need help by someone who has been there. Contact Me !
Are you both in the UK now?
Are you a U.S. citizen?
How long have you lived in the UK (if you do) and what is your status?
Have you started any immigration process? If so what?

The people here can help more with some specifics.

Welcome to BE.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Cynda59 is just really niceCynda59 is just really niceCynda59 is just really niceCynda59 is just really niceCynda59 is just really niceCynda59 is just really niceCynda59 is just really niceCynda59 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tracym
Are you both in the UK now?
Are you a U.S. citizen?
Yes.

How long have you lived in the UK (if you do) and
8 years.

what is your status?

Duel citizenship
Have you started any immigration process? If so what?

Husband is wanting to retire and immigrate to USA. Filed out I -130 form

The people here can help more with some specifics.

Welcome to BE.

Got most of my answers from others.. Thanks.

Has anyone used any companies to move their pets over.. if so.. who. from UK TO USA.

and Health insurance...... major headache.. any retirees giving me some ideas on health insurance.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 1:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There have been lots of thread on moving Pets to the US. A search will reveal them.

I take it your a USC.

Health Insurance, well first you need to be healthy and wealthy, I take it that you have 40 quarters of US work and its just hubby you need to take care of.

Most people at that age woud be thinking of moving the other way.

Which State are you going to, MA I believe has something, most do not.

OK, found my own answers:

USC, Health Issues, Ohio, No Money.

No good route, you can Emergency Care from a Hospital, but they will just patch you up and get you out the door asap.

Can your Husband get a job that provides Healthcare, round here many 'retired' people work just for the Healthcare.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Dec 8th 2007 at 1:39 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

I am a US Citizen.

Hoping to move back , or around Dayton Ohio.

Hubby . probably will work.. part time job somewhere. I cannot see him going back into a full time employment..
medicade/medicare is a no go territory.. aint happening.

There has to be brits here. .that get health care coverage
Old Dec 8th 2007, 1:46 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

I am a US Citizen.

Hoping to move back , or around Dayton Ohio.

Hubby . probably will work.. part time job somewhere. I cannot see him going back into a full time employment..

There has to be brits here. .that get health care coverage
Healthcare is going to be the biggest barrier to your plans, but you already know that.

The sad fact is, you're not going to suddenly find that there's an easy solution. If your husband doesn't find a job with healthcare coverage, you're not going to find affordable private coverage, and you already know he won't be eligible for Medicare.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Very true friend very true.. I still need to know what insurance companies there are , out there that we can buy policies with anyway.... No clue about any of this stuff... Horriable that there isn't like a hand book in life .. is there.. oh well.. good we got places like this to learn from each others experiances.

Anyway.. a bit about me.

I am Cynda , 38.. soon to be... I am from Dayton Ohio. I am a housewife, no kids, just a dog. I am currently furthering my education and offer obesity support for those who are obese and have issues and want support and advice from someone who has walked that path. I am hoping that some of this leads into a job.. Very family oriented person and friendly and try to be helpful. and I MISS HOME !! badly !.

I must be crazy cause I am organizing my 20 year high school reunion from the UK... I am advid ice hockey supporter/fan. Love anything ice hockey.

Nigel my husband is 55 , from Norwich UK, and now living in Milton Keynes. We looking for friends.. and also support and advice. Nigel is also a HUGE amature radio operator.

Really nice to see this side of the wall is friendly .. went to another forum , and .. it wasn't so friendly. Yikes !

Anyway.. that is us... and hope some of you all can become friends with each other...

Sounds like from most of your all's advice the I 130 form is all we need for right now. .and we are on that path now... so Thanks for all your help.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 3:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you intend to work when you relocate back to the US?

Surely this would be one way of covering your husbands medical insurance problems if you were to find employment and cover him with your benefits.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Very true friend very true.. I still need to know what insurance companies there are , out there that we can buy policies with anyway.... No clue about any of this stuff... Horriable that there isn't like a hand book in life .. is there.. oh well.. good we got places like this to learn from each others experiances.

Anyway.. a bit about me.

I am Cynda , 38.. soon to be... I am from Dayton Ohio. I am a housewife, no kids, just a dog. I am currently furthering my education and offer obesity support for those who are obese and have issues and want support and advice from someone who has walked that path. I am hoping that some of this leads into a job.. Very family oriented person and friendly and try to be helpful. and I MISS HOME !! badly !.

I must be crazy cause I am organizing my 20 year high school reunion from the UK... I am advid ice hockey supporter/fan. Love anything ice hockey.

Nigel my husband is 55 , from Norwich UK, and now living in Milton Keynes. We looking for friends.. and also support and advice. Nigel is also a HUGE amature radio operator.

Really nice to see this side of the wall is friendly .. went to another forum , and .. it wasn't so friendly. Yikes !

Anyway.. that is us... and hope some of you all can become friends with each other...

Sounds like from most of your all's advice the I 130 form is all we need for right now. .and we are on that path now... so Thanks for all your help.
I see you found some advice on the other part of the forum, sorry had asked you here before I saw that bit.

If you are disabled (do I remember correctly?) you yourself might possibly qualify for Social Security Disability, which would include medicare. I think that depends if you ever worked however. Even so - Medicare has quite a lot of deductibles. If you have some serious disability, but don't qualify for Social Security Disability, that is liable to be a huge problem for you in purchasing insurance.

At 55, I suppose your husband could purchase some medical insurance. Particularly if he has no pre-existing conditions to worry about. Perhaps contact an insurance broker in Ohio for some advice. Some states, Illinois is one, will sell insurance to people who have trouble buying it otherwise. I don't know about Ohio - it would be something to look into.

It appears (although I am not completely certain) that insurance regulations are considering the NHS creditable coverage for HIPAA. That is an important factor, if that's correct. If there is a big gap in coverage (can't remember, 2-3 months) then HIPAA eligibility is lost. That is something you should be aware of, for yourself and your husband.

Oh and dogs.... dogs are good - I have four
Old Dec 8th 2007, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Will start over .. since some not reading whole thing.

I was a "disabled child" cannot regain disabilty since being married and living over seas... long story but that is what SS Department says. .. as mentioned in earlier post medicade and medicare, aint happening.

Husband is retiring to the usa.
I am not planning on working, I cannot work.. my health will not allow me to work. He probably will have to , or want to work a part time job. I cannot see him retiring and going back to a full time employment.

Not asking if dogs are OK... I am asking...... what is a company that can help... get my dog.. from the UK to the USA.

Sorry i suck at abbreviations. can someone Hiaa..what? I am so out of the loop.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 3:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Which State are you going to, MA I believe has something, most do not.
by law everyone has to have medical insurance in the state of MA....if your poor, and like really poor the state will sort you out with good subsidised rates...if your just the average middle class family, the state will offer you insurance if you can't get it through work and if you don't get insurance they'll take it out of your taxes on tax time.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 3:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I think unless you win the lottery, he'll have to suck it up and work part time at starbucks who'll offer insurance, or not go to the US.

It's why it's crap to retire in the US if you haven't worked here for your 40 quarters
Old Dec 8th 2007, 3:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Tracym

It appears (although I am not completely certain) that insurance regulations are considering the NHS creditable coverage for HIPAA. That is an important factor, if that's correct. If there is a big gap in coverage (can't remember, 2-3 months) then HIPAA eligibility is lost. That is something you should be aware of, for yourself and your husband.
Depends on insurance company...in theory the NHS should be considered continuous cover, reality tends to be getting the right kind of proof that the insurance company wants because the NHS isn't an insurance policy you won't get the kind of letter of cover that they want, it's their cheeky way of sticky it to you that little bit more...
Old Dec 8th 2007, 3:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Not asking if dogs are OK... I am asking...... what is a company that can help... get my dog.. from the UK to the USA.
It's a case of you sorting it out yourself, phone vet and also air carrier because some won't fly pets during certain times of the year etc.

Plenty of threads on the subject both in the US sections and in the movin back to UK section.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
Depends on insurance company...in theory the NHS should be considered continuous cover, reality tends to be getting the right kind of proof that the insurance company wants because the NHS isn't an insurance policy you won't get the kind of letter of cover that they want, it's their cheeky way of sticky it to you that little bit more...
I'll have to look for it - but someone posted an insurance guidance stating that they had to consider the NHS creditable. I've got to do more research, but appears to be a new(ish) federal guideline. I hope so...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.