Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Just need some friendly advice.

Just need some friendly advice.

Old Dec 8th 2007, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just need some friendly advice.

Originally Posted by Rushman
Good Idea...I went one better.
lol I approve!

She just might get distracted by the 100lbs, and miss the shedding her part.

Anyone else want some marital advice?
Old Dec 8th 2007, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

Cynda59 is just really niceCynda59 is just really niceCynda59 is just really niceCynda59 is just really niceCynda59 is just really niceCynda59 is just really niceCynda59 is just really niceCynda59 is just really nice

I am fine Tracy... someone on the other board made a nasty comment earlier and I guess I thought Rushman was one of them.. Sorry..

I am just.... If you all knew how much hate and things I have delt with .. and the stuff I have delt with in the last year...... you would say WOW.. and your still here..... seriously I dont want a pity party.. but .. .I am tired..... i have a great sence of humor and things.. but right now .. I am scared poo less about getting all these paperwork done, and hubby still aint sure if he gonna retire yet or not.. and abirth mother who is dying of COPD , and my mom that raised me has been dianosed with starts of dementia and ALL i want to do.. is go home...... and it aint that easy to just pick up and go.. when u have No money.. No insurance.. and do not want to leave the husband...... so i am totally OVER stressed and UNDER paid.... so do pardon me for going off 1/2 cocked.

I need to go for a while.. may bbl.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cynda59
I am fine Tracy... someone on the other board made a nasty comment earlier and I guess I thought Rushman was one of them.. Sorry..

I am just.... If you all knew how much hate and things I have delt with .. and the stuff I have delt with in the last year...... you would say WOW.. and your still here..... seriously I dont want a pity party.. but .. .I am tired..... i have a great sence of humor and things.. but right now .. I am scared poo less about getting all these paperwork done, and hubby still aint sure if he gonna retire yet or not.. and abirth mother who is dying of COPD , and my mom that raised me has been dianosed with starts of dementia and ALL i want to do.. is go home...... and it aint that easy to just pick up and go.. when u have No money.. No insurance.. and do not want to leave the husband...... so i am totally OVER stressed and UNDER paid.... so do pardon me for going off 1/2 cocked.

I need to go for a while.. may bbl.
Don't worry about us - I for one am certainly not upset with you.

That is certainly a tough situation, I don't have a solution but I am sorry all this is happening to you.

Good luck.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

catrocks will become famous soon enoughcatrocks will become famous soon enough

Sorry you're stressed, and I hope you can figure something out.

Are you from Ohio originally? If you really want to move back to the US, it might be a good idea to look into the laws in each state, like someone suggested earlier in the thread (was it MA where health insurance was required by law?). Not sure about Ohio - I live in greater Dayton but am covered by my H's health insurance, luckily. But if some states can offer insurance to those who can't afford it and aren't covered by medicare, I would imagine it would be better to try to move there.

Sorry I can't be much help....
Old Dec 8th 2007, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Cynda59 is just really niceCynda59 is just really niceCynda59 is just really niceCynda59 is just really niceCynda59 is just really niceCynda59 is just really niceCynda59 is just really niceCynda59 is just really nice

Rushman.... Relax....

is all i am going to say.....

I am not over sensitive.. I had some people on the other board making some crude remarks earlier.. I thought you were part of them.. I have aplogised.. now... can you let it go.

I really do not need the "you dont belong here" type thing .. right now .... so .. .. for the time being.. how about letting me do what I need to do.. and you do whatever it is you do.... but ... plesae... ease up on me...

cause the fat joke... about your wife... didn't go down real well with me... stupid me thought it wsa towards me... but... anyway... live and learn.

I am asking nicely.........as i possiably can.... I was wrong and I have said sorry...
Old Dec 8th 2007, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Yes Tracy . I am from Ohio orginally.. My mom that raised me still lives in Ohio. my father is deceased.

I will worry about health insurance deal when I get there.. right now just want to get nigel through the I 130 Form and go from there.

I have a cocker spaniel Hollie. and we get her vaccinated for rabies and that every year... She due in January... and got her microchipped.. so all that is good to go.

Husband has worked for 38 years at the post office.. and I been going to college and doing the obesity support and bits and peices here and there.. due to my ill health I can never work a full time job.. IF he doesn't get retired very soon, I am still looking for part time work , and continue education.. so all bases are covered in that sence.

Living in the USA. is cheaper in the long run then the UK.. cause we can't afford 10 dollars agallon for gas.. and £250 thousand , for a house.. with just 2 bedrooms.. no yard.. and taxes and so on and so forth.

I need to go home and be near my family.. it has been nothing but heart ache... living in the UK .. people dying. life moving on and things.. and I am not there... a week ago.. Nov 29th.. got a call from my best friend who lives here in the UK.. and near by... her father tragically was killed in house fire.. .everyone made homeless.. no insurance. .no nothing.. 11 people made less.. and I am sick with grief.... I FEEL horriable for her.... and I cannot help but think.. what if that was my mom...... what if.. what if.... and it has made me want to go home even worst..... I just mentally cant handle being away from home any more... I miss my friends, my family.... it has just been me and my husband here in the UK for the last 8 years.. He had a gallabladder surgery in 2004. nearly died..... and no one was here to help.... I had my gastric bypass in 2004. as well... no one to help... and in 2002.. I had a stroke... 32 years old.. .and had a stroke...... my husband was all we had.. to lean on each other.. some of you would say oh that is enough. .that is fantastic.... no .. it isnt enough ..not when you need 24 hour care and things....Without him... I could not .. or would not be alive.. true..... but.. I want to go home... i am seriously losing it.. living here.. I love England. fantastic country and all... .but I want to go home....

Now maybe you can see why I am a bit over sensitive.. maybe yes.. maybe no..... but that is the facts
Old Dec 8th 2007, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes Tracy . I am from Ohio orginally.. My mom that raised me still lives in Ohio. my father is deceased.

I will worry about health insurance deal when I get there.. right now just want to get nigel through the I 130 Form and go from there.

I have a cocker spaniel Hollie. and we get her vaccinated for rabies and that every year... She due in January... and got her microchipped.. so all that is good to go.

Husband has worked for 38 years at the post office.. and I been going to college and doing the obesity support and bits and peices here and there.. due to my ill health I can never work a full time job.. IF he doesn't get retired very soon, I am still looking for part time work , and continue education.. so all bases are covered in that sence.

Living in the USA. is cheaper in the long run then the UK.. cause we can't afford 10 dollars agallon for gas.. and £250 thousand , for a house.. with just 2 bedrooms.. no yard.. and taxes and so on and so forth.

I need to go home and be near my family.. it has been nothing but heart ache... living in the UK .. people dying. life moving on and things.. and I am not there... a week ago.. Nov 29th.. got a call from my best friend who lives here in the UK.. and near by... her father tragically was killed in house fire.. .everyone made homeless.. no insurance. .no nothing.. 11 people made less.. and I am sick with grief.... I FEEL horriable for her.... and I cannot help but think.. what if that was my mom...... what if.. what if.... and it has made me want to go home even worst..... I just mentally cant handle being away from home any more... I miss my friends, my family.... it has just been me and my husband here in the UK for the last 8 years.. He had a gallabladder surgery in 2004. nearly died..... and no one was here to help.... I had my gastric bypass in 2004. as well... no one to help... and in 2002.. I had a stroke... 32 years old.. .and had a stroke...... my husband was all we had.. to lean on each other.. some of you would say oh that is enough. .that is fantastic.... no .. it isnt enough ..not when you need 24 hour care and things....Without him... I could not .. or would not be alive.. true..... but.. I want to go home... i am seriously losing it.. living here.. I love England. fantastic country and all... .but I want to go home....

Now maybe you can see why I am a bit over sensitive.. maybe yes.. maybe no..... but that is the facts
I understand you wanting to go home.

I just fear for you both - sorting out insurance once you arrive, might be very difficult. I would really encourage you, when you feel a little better, to try to figure it out as soon as possible - I think it is your biggest obstacle to moving back to the U.S.

People have mentioned Catholic Charities as helping with immigration matters - I wonder if they would have any advice for insurance? Or call the insurance board for the state, and ask what a person in your position should do. For someone who is disabled and a citizen, I am hoping that there is something available. Private insurers are quite likely to consider you uninsurable, I'm afraid.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 6:30 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
I understand you wanting to go home.

I just fear for you both - sorting out insurance once you arrive, might be very difficult. I would really encourage you, when you feel a little better, to try to figure it out as soon as possible - I think it is your biggest obstacle to moving back to the U.S.

People have mentioned Catholic Charities as helping with immigration matters - I wonder if they would have any advice for insurance? Or call the insurance board for the state, and ask what a person in your position should do. For someone who is disabled and a citizen, I am hoping that there is something available. Private insurers are quite likely to consider you uninsurable, I'm afraid.
I agree.

And I can't recall whether she said anything re. dual citizenship.

Definitely not leave the UK without naturalising first...
Old Dec 8th 2007, 6:31 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Cynda, with all due respect to the stress you're feeling right now, you have a lot more ahead of you.

There is a lot more to getting Nigel here than the I-130. It's going to cost a lot more than that as well.
For the immigration, there are the two links in my signature that you really, really need.

As far as the insurance etc, I'll just say that my husband and I were your same ages & work status when we moved to the US, and you may be underestimating what it's going to take over here. You need to *seriously* think about the health insurance thing NOW, not later.

There was a recent thread where people posted how much they are paying for health insurance.. don't be fooled by those who are paying less than $500/month because their employers are picking up the rest. If you're going to be on your own, you two, you are looking at $700+ per month for *basic* coverage for the two of you, with high deductibles.

Maybe a trip home would be a better solution for you now, and take some time to plan your move?

As for the posting, please stop criticizing the members here. There are some basics to using a discussion group and you got off on the wrong foot. Let it go now, and make sure you're posting your questions in the correct forums with the correct information. And remember that anyone can read and post here. That goes for the answers you get too--you don't always get to dictate what kind of reply you will get.

Last edited by meauxna; Dec 8th 2007 at 6:47 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Elvira
I agree.

And I can't recall whether she said anything re. dual citizenship.

Definitely not leave the UK without naturalising first...
I could be mistaken, but I believe she is a dual citizen.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

I am not trying to critizise or offend or anything of that nature.. goodness.!

Maybe I am just not message board material.. so .. anyone who has ideas.. or can help me .. via telephone conversation. .or E mail or .. messager. please contact me.. I really appreciate the advice from Cindy and Rene I think her name was... sorry.. I am horriable with names.

Yes I hold duel citizenship.. Born in USA. and got a British citizenship in 2006.

I do not care, if it costs me a million dollars for insurance.. I am going home...... Please, Understand.

I know I probably am uninsurable.. but husband can get insurance.. that is all we are asking.

I am only daughter.. and ill mothers. I am going home... and I choose my husband to be with me.. Living in the UK ...is NOT an option once he retires.... period. Not ..an.. Option.

All I am asking.. is very simple questions.

Are there any British people.. who have insurance , Who live in Ohio... what sort of insurance is it please.. and that sort of nature.

My husband and I may live around Dayton, or looking at maybe living in Indiana. Not for definate.

Like I said.... earlier.... My husband is still in the Maybe.. stage... of getting retirement.. all I am asking is for .. information on filling out forms.. which some of you have given me.. Thank You.
and about shipping the dog . over to the US. since I really do not want to put her on the baggage part of the airplane.

I am not trying to diss anyone.. or offend anyone.. or tick off anyone.... all I am trying to do . is get some answers... and sorry.. but I just figured I could open up a folder.. as a question.. and get answers in that folder.... for that question.... not off topic conversation at the same time. I am very new to message boards.. and such .. so Not really sure what I am doing here...

If I am that much trouble.. .I am on messager and on E Mail.. can contact me there.. and I will let the rest of you just chat here... Thank you for your time.. and patients.. Good Nite.

Last edited by Cynda59; Dec 8th 2007 at 8:11 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I am not trying to critizise or offend or anything of that nature.. goodness.!

Maybe I am just not message board material.. so .. anyone who has ideas.. or can help me .. via telephone conversation. .or E mail or .. messager. please contact me.. I really appreciate the advice from Cindy and Rene I think her name was... sorry.. I am horriable with names.

Yes I hold duel citizenship.. Born in USA. and got a British citizenship in 2006.

I do not care, if it costs me a million dollars for insurance.. I am going home...... Please, Understand.

I know I probably am uninsurable.. but husband can get insurance.. that is all we are asking.

I am only daughter.. and ill mothers. I am going home... and I choose my husband to be with me.. Living in the UK ...is NOT an option once he retires.... period. Not ..an.. Option.

All I am asking.. is very simple questions.

Are there any British people.. who have insurance , Who live in Ohio... what sort of insurance is it please.. and that sort of nature.

My husband and I may live around Dayton, or looking at maybe living in Indiana. Not for definate.

Like I said.... earlier.... My husband is still in the Maybe.. stage... of getting retirement.. all I am asking is for .. information on filling out forms.. which some of you have given me.. Thank You.
and about shipping the dog . over to the US. since I really do not want to put her on the baggage part of the airplane.

I am not trying to diss anyone.. or offend anyone.. or tick off anyone.... all I am trying to do . is get some answers... and sorry.. but I just figured I could open up a folder.. as a question.. and get answers in that folder.... for that question.... not off topic conversation at the same time. I am very new to message boards.. and such .. so Not really sure what I am doing here...

If I am that much trouble.. .I am on messager and on E Mail.. can contact me there.. and I will let the rest of you just chat here... Thank you for your time.. and patients.. Good Nite.
Just hang in there, and get used to the place (board). Many come to like it, really. People will be happy to answer you on the board, but probably unlikely that a bunch will add you to messengers.

Please just forget the rough start, and go ahead and get some info. Sure, there's chit-chat, but also a lot of useful info.

You can also search the board to find threads from before that pertain to your situation.

Most of the Brits here have either come over through employment, or through a spouse. So they generally get insurance through their emploiyer and/or through their spouses employer. That is why you are not getting a lot of answers to this question.

The dog will almost certainly have to go in the bagge part of the airplane. For domestic flights sometimes small dogs can go under the seat - but I doubt it overseas. I'd suggest asking an airline, they should be able to tell you if that is even possible.

Contact the service (can't remember the name just now) that I gave you - and ask them. They should know the regulations too.

Good luck - and do keep trying
Old Dec 8th 2007, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Looked into that already.. there is aplace will pick dog up and take it to USA destination 5 grand.
Cocker spainel is too big to fit under seat.. I just wondered if anyone know of anyone cheaper.

also about 4 grand to ship contents to usa.

As far as UK insurance.. doesn't carry on to USA. already checked that out.

I know I am uninsurable.. that was why I was "disabled child" but since marrried.. I lost all that..too complex to try to explain.

Is there no one else... on this board, who felt such heart ache being so far from home. .you just woke up and said .. God just get me through today... literly that is how I feel... I am seriously .. seriously homesick.. so telling me.. that check this or check that before moving to usa.... we have checked most things... and I appreciate what you are saying.. I , have just heard from others.. Get an attorney and do this and do that.. and attorney's aint cheap.. I mean we already looking about 10 to 12 thousand just to move...

My husband and I .. will be comfortable.. so the option of paying for insurance.. is not really ..something that I am going to concern myself with .. is what I mean.. I was just wondering what insurance companies other Brits used.. I am not of course going to be a millionare by no means.. .but .. I know I probably going to pay $600.00 preminums .. For myself... I know this... ..

But this is not anti British or Anti England. I just can't live here anymore ...... I just can't ... I cry daily ...and I been here for 8 years... 8 years of horror .. it has felt.. and I dont know if there is anyone in this world.. that really understands that..... I dunno if there is anyone... that really sees this pain in my heart... I love England .. as a whole........ but I want to go home..... God.. please let someone understand.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Looked into that already.. there is aplace will pick dog up and take it to USA destination 5 grand.
Cocker spainel is too big to fit under seat.. I just wondered if anyone know of anyone cheaper.

also about 4 grand to ship contents to usa.

As far as UK insurance.. doesn't carry on to USA. already checked that out.

I know I am uninsurable.. that was why I was "disabled child" but since marrried.. I lost all that..too complex to try to explain.

Is there no one else... on this board, who felt such heart ache being so far from home. .you just woke up and said .. God just get me through today... literly that is how I feel... I am seriously .. seriously homesick.. so telling me.. that check this or check that before moving to usa.... we have checked most things... and I appreciate what you are saying.. I , have just heard from others.. Get an attorney and do this and do that.. and attorney's aint cheap.. I mean we already looking about 10 to 12 thousand just to move...

My husband and I .. will be comfortable.. so the option of paying for insurance.. is not really ..something that I am going to concern myself with .. is what I mean.. I was just wondering what insurance companies other Brits used.. I am not of course going to be a millionare by no means.. .but .. I know I probably going to pay $600.00 preminums .. For myself... I know this... ..

But this is not anti British or Anti England. I just can't live here anymore ...... I just can't ... I cry daily ...and I been here for 8 years... 8 years of horror .. it has felt.. and I dont know if there is anyone in this world.. that really understands that..... I dunno if there is anyone... that really sees this pain in my heart... I love England .. as a whole........ but I want to go home..... God.. please let someone understand.
Some of the Brits here want to go home.

There is another forum, http://www.uk-yankee.com/ that you might like also. It is for yanks living in the UK. Some of them might be able to relate to that bit.

I don't think anyone is taking what you say as anti-British or anti-England. Many of them are homesick too, for England.

As far as the dog - you may get some more responses on that. A lot of people aren't here as much on the weekend. I do know several that have done it recently.

As far as moving belongings over... many people choose to not bring a lot of electronics - cheaper to buy new here.

Hang in there.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 9:06 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Realistically, I cannot see how this move is going to happen. Will a part-time job at Starbucks really provide proper healthcare coverage for a 55-year-old plus a disabled wife? How many 55-year-olds have you seen working at Starbucks?

How many employers who would be suitable for the OP's husband offer proper healthcare for part-time staff and dependents?

What happens once he has to stop work - does 10 years working part-time count enough towards Medicare?

The whole idea of this move doesn't make any sense. They might end up destitute. They would be infinitely better off if they remain in the UK.
But not if she's not happy there, and she's not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.