Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Jury Summons!

Jury Summons!

Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:10 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jury Summons!

This 1975 Treaty is written in a clearer way then the subsequent one in 2001.

But the gist of it is a government pension can only be taxed in the originating country and the other country is prohibited from levying tax on it.

So I guess as the US is prohibited from taxing a UK government pension they decided there was no point in declaring it and it was exempted from such. Well that is my opinion as someone who doesn't understand these things so take it for what it is worth
Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
This 1975 Treaty is written in a clearer way then the subsequent one in 2001.

But the gist of it is a government pension can only be taxed in the originating country and the other country is prohibited from levying tax on it.

So I guess as the US is prohibited from taxing a UK government pension they decided there was no point in declaring it and it was exempted from such. Well that is my opinion as someone who doesn't understand these things so take it for what it is worth
if anyone wants to wade through it, here's the US Treasury's "techincal explanation" of the US/UK tax treaty. I've found this t be a lot more useful than the treaty itself:

http://www.ustreas.gov/offices/tax-p...ry/teus-uk.pdf
Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:17 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
I received a jury summons today. Never had one in all my years in the UK now been here just over 12 months and I can't participate because not yet a USC.

Has anyone been summoned and actually been? As a juror rather than an accused! ;-) Am I likely to be missing any drama or just a formal episode of Judge Judy?
they stalk and kill jurors and

dunno if you are committing a 30 year felony if you are not USC - probably !

just say no
Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:24 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
if anyone wants to wade through it, here's the US Treasury's "techincal explanation" of the US/UK tax treaty. I've found this t be a lot more useful than the treaty itself:

Hells teeth the explanation is longer than the treaty
Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:37 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Hells teeth the explanation is longer than the treaty
I feel safe - especially as Bootle non residents office uk tax - said they wouldnt exempt the govt pension as the treaty said i could only be taxed in the UK on that

Good well i might need it as the Doc just rang and said i got my triglycerides down from 738 to 373 in 3 weeks !

I just stopped living on cheese and ginger biscuits -easy ! only 2 beers in 3 weeks - (two 50 gallon kegs)

flying in 4 hours - so i will stuff myself with Timmy Taylors and F &c for 10 days then get healthy again before returning to nancy graceland - i cant abide that woman

ok well I assume non yankies cant be jurors as they are low life ALIENS - and cant do jury duty on pain of alcatraz type jail

Only when they become people (USC's) can they do it ?
Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe

SParagraph 2 deals with the taxation of pensions paid by, or out of funds created by, one of the States, or a political subdivision or a local authority thereof, to an individual in respect of services rendered to that State or subdivision or authority. Subparagraph (a) provides that such pensions are taxable only in that State. Subparagraph (b) provides an exception under which such pensions are taxable only in the other State if the individual is a resident of, and a national of, that other State.
Pensions paid to retired civilian and military employees of a Government of either State

My comment - in the above State means Country and not a US State.

What does change from what I've posted earlier is it does look like if you take US Citizenship the UK government pension might become taxable in the US.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:40 pm
Banned

SParagraph 2 deals with the taxation of pensions paid by, or out of funds created by, one of the States, or a political subdivision or a local authority thereof, to an individual in respect of services rendered to that State or subdivision or authority. Subparagraph (a) provides that such pensions are taxable only in that State. Subparagraph (b) provides an exception under which such pensions are taxable only in the other State if the individual is a resident of, and a national of, that other State.
Pensions paid to retired civilian and military employees of a Government of either State

My comment - in the above State means Country and not a US State.

What does change from what I've posted earlier is it does look like if you take US Citizenship the UK government pension might become taxable in the US.
yes its all flooding back to me - 6 months ago bootle asked if I had become one of them

i said 'good god no do you mind ! ' and she said it is taxable in the US if I become a citizen
Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:50 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

I was called up for a 3-week stint and had to reschedule it for a later date with no probs. On my first day at the courthouse I was chosen for a 4-count felony case (rape & GSI). It was very interesting and I am so glad I had the honor of doing it. I learned more from the experience than any book could have taught me. The trial lasted a week. I was called up 2 more times during the last 2 weeks but no more trials. During the trial, the courthouse was being picketed by protesters over the death of a young black man by a police officer (jurors were being chosen for the police officer's trial at the time). The FBI were everywhere and we were whisked through a backdoor so we wouldn't have to go through them or end up on the news, as they were there.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 8:01 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
I was called up for a 3-week stint and had to reschedule it for a later date with no probs. On my first day at the courthouse I was chosen for a 4-count felony case (rape & GSI). It was very interesting and I am so glad I had the honor of doing it. I learned more from the experience than any book could have taught me. The trial lasted a week. I was called up 2 more times during the last 2 weeks but no more trials. During the trial, the courthouse was being picketed by protesters over the death of a young black man by a police officer (jurors were being chosen for the police officer's trial at the time). The FBI were everywhere and we were whisked through a backdoor so we wouldn't have to go through them or end up on the news, as they were there.
Honoured and grateful to go through all that ? A catch in your throat, hand on heart, cherry trees, I cannot tell a lie, banish any unworthy thoughts from my head ? Are you mary poppins ?

I suppose if you have voyeuristic tendencies I could see it

Personally I prefer stories about seamen to semen

and as for mobs outside ?

It takes all kinds but I would rather be hemmeling

so are you a USC ? - I guess you would have to be with so much joyeus optimism....

Amish perhaps ?
Old Jan 28th 2009, 8:10 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exvj
Honoured and grateful to go through all that ? A catch in your throat, hand on heart, cherry trees, I cannot tell a lie, banish any unworthy thoughts from my head ? Are you mary poppins ?

I suppose if you have voyeuristic tendencies I could see it

Personally I prefer stories about seamen to semen

and as for mobs outside ?

It takes all kinds but I would rather be hemmeling

so are you a USC ? - I guess you would have to be with so much joyeus optimism....

Amish perhaps ?
No, part of your responsibility when you register to vote (and as a USC if you are/become one) is to fulfill jury duty if called upon. When I first got the summons, I thought, "Oh, no. I really do not want to do this." But decided to look at it from a different viewpoint after having a chat about it with a friend that was also a history teach.

I would do it again if asked to. A democratic society relies on its citizens to keep it a democracy. I guess if we lived in a place where you had no right to trial before a jury of your peers, we wouldn't have to worry about serving on a jury.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 8:40 pm
Banned

No, part of your responsibility when you register to vote (and as a USC if you are/become one) is to fulfill jury duty if called upon. When I first got the summons, I thought, "Oh, no. I really do not want to do this." But decided to look at it from a different viewpoint after having a chat about it with a friend that was also a history teach.

I would do it again if asked to. A democratic society relies on its citizens to keep it a democracy. I guess if we lived in a place where you had no right to trial before a jury of your peers, we wouldn't have to worry about serving on a jury.
AHA a teach ! Had em in my family so I know about them and my ex wife was married to one

Theory and concepts and stories are your life blood.....the seamy side of life just happens to other people

I agree with your ephemeral concepts, and it's certainly part of the American psyche to be high minded about civics and patriotism etc so you have found your niche here

The reality of American business (which I have been around since 1983) and politics, is 180 degrees different of course

Well just because I don't relish the idea of jury service doesn't mean I don't want one - it just means let those who thirst for the gory details to satiate their voyeurism have it, and those who see the 'dirty job' aspect to it can give up their seat to them

As Rab Nesbitt said at the dole office (You wont know about him as he wasnt educated)

'There are 1.6 million people unemployed - if you have a job, give it to one of them - and stop pushing it on somebody who doesn't want a job'

Personally, I saw as much rape and blood and dead mangled bodies and horror in my 6 years with the Police as I ever want to see so yep you can have my seat in the front row. I finally realised i was getting hard to it when i found myself eating a sandwich off a dead mans chest (not the wood ones) - so the interest doesn't last long when you get a bit closer to it....
Old Jan 28th 2009, 9:47 pm
Queen of my house

AHA a teach ! Had em in my family so I know about them and my ex wife was married to one

Theory and concepts and stories are your life blood.....the seamy side of life just happens to other people

I agree with your ephemeral concepts, and it's certainly part of the American psyche to be high minded about civics and patriotism etc so you have found your niche here

The reality of American business (which I have been around since 1983) and politics, is 180 degrees different of course

Well just because I don't relish the idea of jury service doesn't mean I don't want one - it just means let those who thirst for the gory details to satiate their voyeurism have it, and those who see the 'dirty job' aspect to it can give up their seat to them

As Rab Nesbitt said at the dole office (You wont know about him as he wasnt educated)

'There are 1.6 million people unemployed - if you have a job, give it to one of them - and stop pushing it on somebody who doesn't want a job'

Personally, I saw as much rape and blood and dead mangled bodies and horror in my 6 years with the Police as I ever want to see so yep you can have my seat in the front row. I finally realised i was getting hard to it when i found myself eating a sandwich off a dead mans chest (not the wood ones) - so the interest doesn't last long when you get a bit closer to it....
I said my friend was a history teacher, not me. At the time, I was a food scientist. . . . but I am now a chemistry teacher.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 9:55 pm
Queen of my house

You lost me there. I just think if you expect the system to work, you need to do your part. I believe it is illegal to try and get out of it unless for legit reasons. And there was no blood or gore or dead bodies involved....don't know where that came from. I learned a lot about the legal system.

Chances are you will never sit on a jury when you get called in. And once you get called in the prosecutor and defense attorney have to "drill" you with questions and they both must approve of you. Anyway, I am glad I had the experience.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 9:56 pm
Banned

I said my friend was a history teacher, not me. At the time, I was a food scientist. . . . but I am now a chemistry teacher.
Heck - they don't need help in making crystal meth around here so dont get em too interested !

Watch their ears prick up if you tell em you are going to teach em the method

Safer to teach em Zyklon b formulation !

OK final packing for uk trip - 3 planes 2 days

Ever tried packing with two 10 month old semi kittens in the house ? every time i put a hot ironed shirt in the suitcase they are in there hiding

At this rate they will wake up in Manchester on Friday and my mobile charger will be in eastern washington

ok crew - signing out and blighty bound
Old Jan 28th 2009, 10:02 pm
Banned

You lost me there. I just think if you expect the system to work, you need to do your part. I believe it is illegal to try and get out of it unless for legit reasons. And there was no blood or gore or dead bodies involved....don't know where that came from. I learned a lot about the legal system.

Chances are you will never sit on a jury when you get called in. And once you get called in the prosecutor and defense attorney have to "drill" you with questions and they both must approve of you. Anyway, I am glad I had the experience.
what no semen in a rape case ! I would have expected all the exhibits to be wringing wet with it ! That's pretty messy you know. And skin under the finger nails - didnt they pass that round ?
And the police bill the victim in some states - they send em a bill for the rape kit !

Where's the justice in that ?

alaska for instance

nope I still don't feel comfortable here - its foreign you know - with johhny foreigner ways like cat licenses !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.