Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Jury Summons!

Jury Summons!

Old Jan 25th 2009, 4:48 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Jury Summons!

[QUOTE=exvj;7211471So I have been brought up to be most wary of all these 'high ideals' being used by politicians to get my family butchered and torn asunder[/QUOTE]

http://www.web-books.com/Classics/Po...ling/Tommy.htm
Old Jan 25th 2009, 4:51 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Tommy Atkins indeed !
Old Jan 25th 2009, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by exvj
Tommy Atkins indeed !
For those who can't be arsed to click on the link:

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of 'is country," when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
But Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool - you bet that Tommy sees!
Old Jan 25th 2009, 5:10 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

and they did !

in 1945 the eyes of the British people were open and they wanted no more warmongers - they wanted public housing and public health

The Americans are in exactly the same position today and that is why Obama is in.

All the right wing people on telly are saying 'we don't want socialized medicine ' and the people are saying 'we want socialized medicine'

and the telly is saying 'no cheap drugs from canada' and the people say 'gimme canadian drugs'

and the telly heads are saying we need to attack north korea and iran and syria and russia and venezuela and cuba '

and the people are saying - 'enough ! peace, '

and the telly heads are saying 'let the banks go bust' let nature take it's course

and the people are saying 'protect my deposit account'

and Bush, the President of the USA was booed by 2 million people as he left office

It's just like the UK in 1945

As Neil Kinnock said - vote conservative if you want - but then dont get old and dont get sick

It's a quiet revolution in the US and it's very interesting

Last edited by exvj; Jan 25th 2009 at 5:14 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 5:24 pm

All the right wing people on telly are saying 'we don't want socialized medicine ' and the people are saying 'we want socialized medicine'
Errr, possibly, but you do realise that I'm one of these right wing people you're talking about?
Old Jan 25th 2009, 5:30 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Errr, possibly, but you do realise that I'm one of these right wing people you're talking about?
I know there are some remaining

My mother was a weaver in a mill from age 13 and then a tea lady - but she is a conservative who would help nobody, and a right wing christian who believes unmarried mothers or girls who become pregnant before they are married (my daughter for instance), should be 'kept in a dark cellar away from decent people'

I find that kind of politics and religion revolting

But I am off to see her in England and that's the main reason for my trip this week
Old Jan 25th 2009, 5:32 pm

But I am off to see her in England and that's the main reason for my trip this week
Fair enough, and if you have an hour or two to kill in London, let's have a beer.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 5:39 pm
Banned

Fair enough, and if you have an hour or two to kill in London, let's have a beer.
would love to but i am in the frozen north of wharfedale where the ale isnt wattery ! Then I go to Ocle Pichard in Herefordshire to where I have just tracked my forebears (yes i come from a family of four bears) and where they have lived for centuries as serfs under the Norman Duke of Picardie

jeez I am am nearly a yokel southerner (south of Sheffield) - with 50% Welsh Bevan too !

that's worse than finding out you were adopted !
Old Jan 25th 2009, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect my decision will be based on more mundane considerations, and then I will just have to keep my mouth shut if I do
I may not agree with everything you say, but I would not want you to keep your mouth shut. You raise some interesting points, as always, and it is good for all of us to hear different views.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 7:50 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Redwing
I may not agree with everything you say, but I would not want you to keep your mouth shut. You raise some interesting points, as always, and it is good for all of us to hear different views.

Cheers matey ! 2nd amendment rules ok ! and probably the 5th before I am done

good
Old Jan 25th 2009, 7:59 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redwing
agreed
Old Jan 25th 2009, 8:13 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK, I was exempt (or barred) from Jury service as I had once served in the Police Force
That hasn't been a bar for some time. Serving or ex police officers can be called for jury service now.

The previous entitlement of police officers and staff to be excused from jury service as of right was removed by Section 321 and Schedule 33 of the Criminal Justice Act 2003 when it came into effect on 5 April 2004.

Last edited by lansbury; Jan 25th 2009 at 8:26 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 12:50 am
Banned

Originally Posted by lansbury
That hasn't been a bar for some time. Serving or ex police officers can be called for jury service now.

The previous entitlement of police officers and staff to be excused from jury service as of right was removed by Section 321 and Schedule 33 of the Criminal Justice Act 2003 when it came into effect on 5 April 2004.
heck - i left just in time

So as at this moment I can't be called for jury service anywhere in the world as I am not resident in the UK and not a US citizen

I am in the ether - an intangible

That feels quite priviledged actually - I wish it worked for tax too -oops someone will tell me what a priviledge it is to pay tax and they are proud every time they write the check

There are lots to think about and I am one of those who is tempted to do things just because they can - so I will have to think long and hard about naturalization as I think it would be in bad taste and ungrateful to renounce it later

Last edited by exvj; Jan 26th 2009 at 1:12 am.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 7:47 am

That feels quite priviledged actually - I wish it worked for tax too -oops someone will tell me what a priviledge it is to pay tax and they are proud every time they write the check
If you do tax right, then it's the gub'mint that writes the check

There are lots to think about and I am one of those who is tempted to do things just because they can - so I will have to think long and hard about naturalization as I think it would be in bad taste and ungrateful to renounce it later
May I congratulate you on your mature and thoughtful approach to the matter.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 2:20 pm
Banned

If you do tax right, then it's the gub'mint that writes the check

May I congratulate you on your mature and thoughtful approach to the matter.
hooray approval at last - somebody must be putting something in my cocoa

I have my UK pension and Bank interest untaxed now - so I just settle up at the end of the year

I have to pay 'advance tax' in the US of course

If the government owes me a refund, then it means i have overpaid and they have had use of my money when I could have had it in BP shares at 8% dividend

'better in tha pocket lad' my old boss used to say

The IRS kindly offer a number of sources for the average exchange rate - for some reason i pick the best

Hey $20 T shirt cost me £10 last year - now it costs £15 - an exchange rate slip from $2.04 to $1.35 will do that

Do you realise that British ex pats have had a 50% increase in their living expenses here in the US ?

If one earns USD then ok, but all my income is GBP and all my costs are USD including losses on US investments and revalued UK bank account holdings !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.