Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Ive had enough, I want to go home :(

Ive had enough, I want to go home :(

Old Jun 8th 2007, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: read it and weep

Originally Posted by leonatlanta
why would you not want to go back to blighty?

unless you miss all this..........

UNICEF this year ranked Britain bottom in the league of industrialized nations in terms of the well-being of children. This is a startling fact, given that child welfare has been one of Gordon Brown's chief preoccupations throughout his 10 years at the Treasury.
• Labour has also failed to meet its own targets on the reduction of child poverty, and this despite the extra billions in welfare targeted at parents and carers.
• Britain also has the highest rate of teenage pregnancy in Europe, the highest proportion of single mothers, and one of the highest divorce rates.
• Britain ranks top, with France, in western Europe in terms of sexually transmitted disease. It has the highest obesity rate in Europe, with nearly a quarter of inhabitants classified as obese.
• Britain has one of the highest rates of alcohol abuse in Europe, with a quarter of Britons indulging in the sort of binge drinking that every weekend transforms cities and market towns into Hogarthian hellholes.
• Britain also heads Europe in terms of drug abuse. Cocaine use is highest in the United Kingdom, and use among secondary school pupils has doubled in the last year.
• Along with Ireland and Holland, Britain has the highest crime rate in Europe. London has a higher violent crime rate than any other city in the European Union, higher than in Istanbul and New York City.
Well its still a damn site better than living in Lagos. C'mon.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 2:19 pm
Banned

leonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams
Well its still a damn site better than living in Lagos. C'mon.
or afganistan
Old Jun 8th 2007, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

or afganistan
or Somalia, Sudan, Surrey...
Old Jun 8th 2007, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

why would you not want to go back to blighty?

unless you miss all this..........

UNICEF this year ranked Britain bottom in the league of industrialized nations in terms of the well-being of children. This is a startling fact, given that child welfare has been one of Gordon Brown's chief preoccupations throughout his 10 years at the Treasury.
• Labour has also failed to meet its own targets on the reduction of child poverty, and this despite the extra billions in welfare targeted at parents and carers.
• Britain also has the highest rate of teenage pregnancy in Europe, the highest proportion of single mothers, and one of the highest divorce rates.
• Britain ranks top, with France, in western Europe in terms of sexually transmitted disease. It has the highest obesity rate in Europe, with nearly a quarter of inhabitants classified as obese.
• Britain has one of the highest rates of alcohol abuse in Europe, with a quarter of Britons indulging in the sort of binge drinking that every weekend transforms cities and market towns into Hogarthian hellholes.
• Britain also heads Europe in terms of drug abuse. Cocaine use is highest in the United Kingdom, and use among secondary school pupils has doubled in the last year.
• Along with Ireland and Holland, Britain has the highest crime rate in Europe. London has a higher violent crime rate than any other city in the European Union, higher than in Istanbul and New York City.
Leon

Most of these statistics are, as usual, presented in a comparative analysis of Europe. As you should know, the wave of pan-Euro statistics is to raise a false salience of Pan-Europeanism and indoctrinate the British, and other Europeans to consider themselves primarily European. Problem is, the European nations are from a seriously different political and social culture from Britain, which would be better compared to the other English-speaking nations.

It is a bit rich to post that Britain is trumped only by Sudan or Afghanistan or Lagos, not to mention palpably ridiculous. The truth of the matter is there is very little difference between any of the English-speaking nations other than America's inordinately high homicide and gun-crime rate, the two not unrelated. Much has been made of the whole Giuliani made NYC safer than the Cotswolds, etc., but we have to be realistic here. My experience of rural America was much lower crime than the UK, but urban America was a different story.

Although the Hogarthian hellholes thing is true to a certain extent, particularly in the blue collar cities like Manchester and Cardiff, this is the result of a problem, I believe fairly unique to Britain, of the juvenilisation of the public (30 year olds behving like 14 year olds, etc.) which is getting to be a problem. Finding a 30 year old getting drunk on bubble-gum flavour booze, prancing about like a poptart and hurling in the gutter is not difficult at all in the UK. You would excuse this behaviour in a 16 year old, but not 30 - and it's so common. I never saw this in the US.

The enormous alcoholism problem, which is very widespread in the UK, is a cultural manifestation of a deep insecurity among British, and more so English, youth. They have been stripped of their national identity in a far-reaching governmental programme of Europeanisation, many have been booted out of work as we shift away from manufacturing to service provision, none of them can ever afford to own a home and knows it, and pints cost about $2 all night long. The identity thing is a problem that many Americans wouldn't understand. Recently, government suggested a "Britain Day" presumably to ape Australia Day or Canada Day. Not only did this country not bother to celebrate the tercentenary of one of world's oldest and most successful political unions (it wasn't even mentioned on the news) but Northern Ireland isn't in Britain so this day conveniently rubs Ulster out of the equation. The tercentenary wasn't celebrated because the government has spent 10 years deconstructing British identity, and Ulster isn't considered worthy of inclusion because the government clearly believes in a unitary Irish state.

I believe the total absence of religion helps partly to account for the high rate of teenage pregnancies, and I say this as a fairly liberal and non-religious person. The more "education" they give them, the higher the rate goes so it is absurd to continue relying on giving them condoms to stop it. But this problem, like the drunks, is confined to specific cities, much like the way high homocide rates are confined to DC or New Orleans, etc., and college campuses, of course.

In other words, many of our problems are specific to the radical policies of government, and not inherent faults of the British. If they have one major fault, it's that they continue returning this government to power because they think they are still sticking one to Thatcher. In fact they are really only crapping in their own lunchboxes.

Last edited by Tableland; Jun 8th 2007 at 8:24 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 12:21 am
Banned

leonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Tableland;4892560]Leon

They have been stripped of their national identity in a far-reaching governmental programme of Europeanisation, QUOTE]

very true. thanks
Old Jun 9th 2007, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tableland
Leon

Most of these statistics are, as usual, presented in a comparative analysis of Europe. As you should know, the wave of pan-Euro statistics is to raise a false salience of Pan-Europeanism and indoctrinate the British, and other Europeans to consider themselves primarily European. Problem is, the European nations are from a seriously different political and social culture from Britain, which would be better compared to the other English-speaking nations.

It is a bit rich to post that Britain is trumped only by Sudan or Afghanistan or Lagos, not to mention palpably ridiculous. The truth of the matter is there is very little difference between any of the English-speaking nations other than America's inordinately high homicide and gun-crime rate, the two not unrelated. Much has been made of the whole Giuliani made NYC safer than the Cotswolds, etc., but we have to be realistic here. My experience of rural America was much lower crime than the UK, but urban America was a different story.

Although the Hogarthian hellholes thing is true to a certain extent, particularly in the blue collar cities like Manchester and Cardiff, this is the result of a problem, I believe fairly unique to Britain, of the juvenilisation of the public (30 year olds behving like 14 year olds, etc.) which is getting to be a problem. Finding a 30 year old getting drunk on bubble-gum flavour booze, prancing about like a poptart and hurling in the gutter is not difficult at all in the UK. You would excuse this behaviour in a 16 year old, but not 30 - and it's so common. I never saw this in the US.

The enormous alcoholism problem, which is very widespread in the UK, is a cultural manifestation of a deep insecurity among British, and more so English, youth. They have been stripped of their national identity in a far-reaching governmental programme of Europeanisation, many have been booted out of work as we shift away from manufacturing to service provision, none of them can ever afford to own a home and knows it, and pints cost about $2 all night long. The identity thing is a problem that many Americans wouldn't understand. Recently, government suggested a "Britain Day" presumably to ape Australia Day or Canada Day. Not only did this country not bother to celebrate the tercentenary of one of world's oldest and most successful political unions (it wasn't even mentioned on the news) but Northern Ireland isn't in Britain so this day conveniently rubs Ulster out of the equation. The tercentenary wasn't celebrated because the government has spent 10 years deconstructing British identity, and Ulster isn't considered worthy of inclusion because the government clearly believes in a unitary Irish state.

I believe the total absence of religion helps partly to account for the high rate of teenage pregnancies, and I say this as a fairly liberal and non-religious person. The more "education" they give them, the higher the rate goes so it is absurd to continue relying on giving them condoms to stop it. But this problem, like the drunks, is confined to specific cities, much like the way high homocide rates are confined to DC or New Orleans, etc., and college campuses, of course.

In other words, many of our problems are specific to the radical policies of government, and not inherent faults of the British. If they have one major fault, it's that they continue returning this government to power because they think they are still sticking one to Thatcher. In fact they are really only crapping in their own lunchboxes.
the sudan thing was a friday night joke. no one seriously meant it. do we have to be so serious. c'mon?
Old Jun 9th 2007, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

gypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Ive had enough, I want to go home :(

Good points, I think the "PC" rules are way over the top, we accept other cultures, I dont see as we need to loose our own culture in doing so, whihc isi waht is happening. I find that very sad.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 4:59 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tableland
Leon

Kids have no hope nowadays...time was you got a job and you retired from it...now kids see their parents working hard and losing everything after being laid off...I know my son wants to own next to nothing ...a rented place to live...a car and a TV...
If I were young now...I would not have kids...I'd have a small flat...a job that would be hard to send to India...and to make sure I could get by on min wage...I must own up to being fed up to the back teeth trying to hold on to a normal life....and having to subsidize other peoples cheap goods because my kids are working all hour and still can't afford a place of their own....I'll change that not subsidize other people cheap goods...but putting more profit into the pocket of fat cats...

Last edited by krizzy; Jun 9th 2007 at 6:00 am.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 5:07 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I wrote elsewhere that it isn't the same country we moved to 10 years ago. Those who have lived here for a similar period of time will know what I'm talking about.

There are THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of jobs being lost to India for example, because the companies are too greedy to want to pay decent wages. The problem is that as they move them there, the wages over there will keep increasing and increasing and one of these days they'll be on par with what they pay here. Where will they move to then?

A friend of mine works for a very large multinational. He has been on notice about 4 times the last 3 years that his job might move to India. His job entails knowing the trends in the US market in his field. How can someone on the other side of the world who has never lived here, do this type of job?

He is up for pension in two years' time. He knows he'll be let go beforehand.

A colleague of his was let go two months before she was due for hers, so that they didn't have to pay it. As has happened to countless people in his and other companies the past few years.

I am sorry to hear you are going through tough times krizzy. Hopefully it all gets sorted out.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
Kids have no hope nowadays...time was you got a job and you retired from it...now kids see their parents working hard and losing everything after being laid off...I know my son wants to own next to nothing ...a rented place to live...a car and a TV...
If I were young now...I would not have kids...I'd have a small flat...a job that would be hard to send to India...and to make sure I could get by on min wage...I must own up to being fed up to the back teeth trying to hold on to a normal life....and having to subsidize other peoples cheap goods because my kids are working all hour and still can't afford a place of their own....
Sad about the "rental life" that you describe. I know of more than one person who had their pensions stolen by the government, so I hear what you're saying.

Anyway, Just off to Sudan for a break. I've got a villa booked in Khartoum
Old Jun 9th 2007, 5:56 am
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
If I were young now...I would not have kids...I'd have a small flat...a job that would be hard to send to India...and to make sure I could get by on min wage...I must own up to being fed up to the back teeth trying to hold on to a normal life....and having to subsidize other peoples cheap goods because my kids are working all hour and still can't afford a place of their own....
i noticed lots of drunk pop tarts when i was on holiday in uk last year they have been around a long time but too many of them all over world. i blame the sexualisation of women especially young girls. i don't really understand sociology of it but its yin and yang gone wrong nil respect for women world wide it happens in australia too
Old Jun 9th 2007, 12:41 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

People don't seem to like unions but surely strong unions would make a lot of unfair employer practices more difficult.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 12:42 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sally
People don't seem to like unions but surely strong unions would make a lot of unfair employer practices more difficult.
Socialist!
Old Jun 9th 2007, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

Moji is a name known to allMoji is a name known to allMoji is a name known to allMoji is a name known to allMoji is a name known to allMoji is a name known to allMoji is a name known to allMoji is a name known to allMoji is a name known to allMoji is a name known to allMoji is a name known to all

Originally Posted by gypsygirl
Hi, Im new here. We are realising we really dont want to be here (in the USA), but family keep telling us not to go back to the Uk. I would really appreciate some feedback!
They tell us the place has gone really bad since we left several years ago and now they are scareing us with stories of mass European immigrants bombarding the country and taking over etc etc. I dont know how true it is, or if they just dont want us to go back lol
I want to make the right choice and stick by it, but right now we are having trouble deciding. Im going quite mad with it all
Plus we are really skint and there is 50c to every uk pound, which makes it impossible to save anything useful for moving back. We havent been back since we moved here and Im wondering if we could just be homesick, but that doesnt take the problems away. I could go on for days about the problems here lol
Help !

I was really homesick once, and I went back to live in England for a long time. Now I'm back here. It ain't easy. I hope you do what's right for you.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 12:49 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Socialist!
Me and Ray!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.