Reload this Page >

Ive had enough, I want to go home :(

Ive had enough, I want to go home :(

Old Jun 11th 2007, 4:29 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: read it and weep

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Yes it says don't go in certain areas of Philly.
Next?
I think he was pointing out people often overstate the dangers of British cities.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 8:32 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
I think he was pointing out people often overstate the dangers of British cities.
I was able to surmise that and it's not a new discovery about Philly.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

sunnydelight is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ive had enough, I want to go home :(

Originally Posted by gypsygirl
Thanks for the replies. I wouldnt know where to start describing the problems! Its mainly lack of money and US red tape I guess. We have 4 kids, 2 are teens and we cant afford anything. We came here after years of trying really hard and did want to be here. Its such a shock to find out we dont like it. We are on the work visa for now, they are just starting the green card off. Dh has a good job for a big company and we have a nice house, so I feel guilty that we arent happy sometimes. But we are very isolated and broke.
Ive heard it can be a stage, I just seem to be going mad thinking about it. We go through phases of thinking we want to stay and we will try and make it all work, but then we go back to wanting to leave. Lately Ive just wanted to get on a plane and leave everything here. I just dont know what to do. I really couldnt face another country now and going through all this again, we had thought of Italy, but dont want the hassle. We just want to be settled.
We havent seen family since we moved over, as we cant afford the flights and neither can they.
We did make lots of lists and they pretty much canceled each other out, so it ended up even
Listen sweetheart, i went home for a visit last year after 7 yrs of waiting for my greencard. Let me tell you something the things that brought you here are still the same,the economy is too high the people are boring. Also if you think your skint here it's nothing to how you will be over here. I get very homesick too and i'm also struggling financially but now i'm working 2 jobs to get by.Over there it's nigh on impossible to get one job never mind two. I know exactly how you feel, sometimes it's easier to run away but its not always the right answer.All of my family are over there and they tell me ..dont come home theres nothing here. This IS the land of opportunity grab it with both hands and do what i'm going to do i'll go home when i'm ready to retire. Your not alone, i get homesick too.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

spaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to all

It took me about 5 to 6 years to know I was settled in Spain, now here 26 years. OK, it is not so far away from family but at least there is no foreign language to get a grip with in the US, well not really. lol
I guess the main problem is missing family. E-mail, skype, webcams, it's just not the same is it? Unfortunately missing family alone can create others or at least make them seem worse than they really are.

I must warn you though, the UK and Europe are not what they where, it is not only immigration problems but even countries like Spain, Italy, Germany and Portugal are getting more and more expensive, the UK is frightning as to the extent that money is taken off you, the standard of services have dropped and I get the feeling that many people "especially the young" have become quite loutish (Maybe I'm just getting older. lol). Other countries that joined the EU over the last several or so years are all following suit. The British say that Spain, Italy and Portugal are cheap, well they are compaired to the UK but just ask the locals what they think about what's cheap, they will totally disagree as the prices in these EU countries have soared along with taxes and are still going up, some of our local taxes jump up to 70% at a time here, Spain fines you for using a ridiculously low amount of electric because they say it is too much to use... all these stupid excuses for getting more taxes, just as in the UK.

I am sure it is difficult dealing with the problems where you are but just make sure you know what you would be getting into if you where to leave, it would be great to soulve problems you might have in the USA but be carefull you won't actually be replacing them with others in Europe if leaving.

Hope it works out for you whatever you end up doing.

BTW, want to swap places with us in Spain? lol

Last edited by spaino; Jun 13th 2007 at 10:19 am. Reason: Typos
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by monkjack
That would mean the UK would be empty in about 30 days
Latest computer predictions say that the last Brit will leave some time around 2pm on Thursday 09 August 2007. All lights will be left on for the benefit of the Poles, the Czechs, the Slovaks, the Estonians, the Lithuanians, the Somalis, the Romanians, the Bulgarians, the Afghans, the Latvians, the Slovenians.....................................
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:50 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Latest computer predictions say that the last Brit will leave some time around 2pm on Thursday 09 August 2007. All lights will be left on for the benefit of the Poles, the Czechs, the Slovaks, the Estonians, the Lithuanians, the Somalis, the Romanians, the Bulgarians, the Afghans, the Latvians, the Slovenians.....................................
Jim Davidson threatened to leave years ago
Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:06 am

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
The last Briton.......
Attached Thumbnails Ive had enough, I want to go home :(-empty-street.jpg  
Old Jun 14th 2007, 11:31 am
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gypsygirl
Hi, Im new here. We are realising we really dont want to be here (in the USA), but family keep telling us not to go back to the Uk. I would really appreciate some feedback!
They tell us the place has gone really bad since we left several years ago and now they are scareing us with stories of mass European immigrants bombarding the country and taking over etc etc. I dont know how true it is, or if they just dont want us to go back lol
I want to make the right choice and stick by it, but right now we are having trouble deciding. Im going quite mad with it all
Plus we are really skint and there is 50c to every uk pound, which makes it impossible to save anything useful for moving back. We havent been back since we moved here and Im wondering if we could just be homesick, but that doesnt take the problems away. I could go on for days about the problems here lol
Help !
Where is the USA do you live?Maybe you need to just relocate to a different state for a change of scenery and opportunities.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 8:52 am
Just Joined

neutron has much to be proud ofneutron has much to be proud ofneutron has much to be proud ofneutron has much to be proud ofneutron has much to be proud ofneutron has much to be proud ofneutron has much to be proud ofneutron has much to be proud ofneutron has much to be proud ofneutron has much to be proud ofneutron has much to be proud of

Judging by the number of Americans moving to the UK there must be something attractive about the place. I fell in love with USA but after moving there it wasn't long before I realised it's many shortcomings. If your main focus in life is money, if you are willing to lead a parochial existence,if you lack a sense of social responsibility, if you accept that friends are friends when it suits them etc, etc it's a great place to be. I returned to the UK and for all it's failings it's still the greatest place on this planet. My advice is to move back if you are able.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neutron
Judging by the number of Americans moving to the UK there must be something attractive about the place. I fell in love with USA but after moving there it wasn't long before I realised it's many shortcomings. If your main focus in life is money, if you are willing to lead a parochial existence,if you lack a sense of social responsibility, if you accept that friends are friends when it suits them etc, etc it's a great place to be. I returned to the UK and for all it's failings it's still the greatest place on this planet. My advice is to move back if you are able.
Well hello Newbie welcome to BE dont worry we are moving back end of September
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 10:44 am
Just Joined

georgio has much to be proud ofgeorgio has much to be proud ofgeorgio has much to be proud ofgeorgio has much to be proud ofgeorgio has much to be proud ofgeorgio has much to be proud ofgeorgio has much to be proud ofgeorgio has much to be proud ofgeorgio has much to be proud ofgeorgio has much to be proud ofgeorgio has much to be proud of

All the Polish people in London are superb. You can get a cheap cleaner and cheap builders and they all actually work rather than drink tea all day and overcharge you. Don't know what the fuss is about. Although I do think I may be the only person in Putney with an English accent - everyone's from South Africa.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 10:51 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by georgio
Although I do think I may be the only person in Putney with an English accent
nope you're not, not this week anyway coz Elvira is over in Putney for the week from the USA
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 10:52 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

My advice is to move back if you are able.
i plan to m8, i plan to
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 11:13 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

I realise some posters here have slagged of the UK which isn't OK and the knee jerk reaction, especially if you didn't like living in the US is to do the same back.

But I'm sure you know this I hope is not everyone who comes here and loves it, ie me feels that way

I am glad you are happy now in the UK and I wish you well.

But coming in here making sweeping derogatory generalisations not only about a country but about people (UK and US) that are happy here I would suggest might not be the best way to make friends here.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 12:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
He attempts to paint Britain as worst in Europe which somehow includes New York City but not the US. Just off the top of my head, teenage pregnancy rates are sky high here in the US as is obesity, many urban centres are no-go areas anyway without teenage binge-drinking, divorce rates are extremely high but then they are in Muslim countries where women have no rights.
I went to look into teenage pregnancy stats - OMG - did you know the youngest ever mother on record was 5? 5!!!

You're right - teenage pregnancy in the US exceeds that of the UK, but according to this it's declining - which is good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage_pregnancy

Country Teenage birth rate
per 1000 women 15-19

South Korea 3
Netherlands 5
Tunisia 7
Australia 16
United Kingdom 20
Russia 30
United States 53
Indonesia 55
South Africa 66
Brazil 73
Bangladesh 117
Niger 233

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.