Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Internet relationship--wanting to marry

Internet relationship--wanting to marry

Old Mar 19th 2007, 2:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet relationship--wanting to marry

Originally Posted by Deedee13
Rete, thank god he did marry her because would he have met u if he didnt?
Our story is a bit strange. I knew his wife and sister-in-law long before he and I met. In fact his soon-to-be ex-wife (they were legally separated for 3 years) told him that I would be perfect for him once she found out that we two had been talking. Didn't find out the connection between him and my friend until after we met up though. Although he and I almost did meet in Karlshrue, Germany in 1989. We discovered that we ate lunch in the same restaurant every day while I was there for a month and he was stationed there with the RCAF.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 2:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
Rete, thank god he did marry her because would he have met u if he didnt?

Life has a way of getting us to the goal posts taking the strangest of routes. Love does work in mysterious ways, age, culture, race. What seemed so un natural years ago is the norm today. Who would have thought that so many people met the love of thier lives on the net. I think they used to call it pen friends in the olden days LOL!!

How many relationships have managed to hold up to the distance because of the pc. Thank God.

Tracy I am still gobsmacked by the way. And someone with such a positive attitude as u have I hope it works out just like ur expecting it to. Do u want kids?

stacey dont be late at the airport when he comes over. When I came on my first trip I had to wait 2 hours, he was cleaning the house and lost track of time, and that was after another police man was worried that i was meeting a mass murderer and had sat with me waiting for him. Explain that one to the kids in a few years. The first date. I do wish u all the luck in the world. Keep us informed even when its not so good. Or even better than u hope for.
Thank you DeeDee. And at the risk of sound completely totally American - you're cool!

Thankfully, neither of us want children. We both love dogs though.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 2:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Thank you DeeDee. And at the risk of sound completely totally American - you're cool!

Thankfully, neither of us want children. We both love dogs though.
A dog lover...I like that. I've just taken my youngest to the vets this morning to be spayed.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
A dog lover...I like that. I've just taken my youngest to the vets this morning to be spayed.
Awww any surgery on one's "babies" is always scary. I'm sure she'll be fine though. What kind of dogs do you have? I have Irish Setters, but my stud dog's father is from Australia, and they aren't crazy. And my fiance will be a vet, so obviously a dog lover too.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 2:43 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

What !!! You had your kids spayed at the vet ...
I nnever knew they did that ...
Old Mar 19th 2007, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ray

What !!! You had your kids spayed at the vet ...
I nnever knew they did that ...
Actually, a friend of mine's husband had an upcoming vasectomy, which they attempted to explain to their young child. Said child announced in the grocery line, to a bunch of blue-haired old ladies "Mommy's taking daddy to the vet to get fixed like Arlo the dog!"

And there is no rapid escape from grocery lines.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 2:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Awww any surgery on one's "babies" is always scary. I'm sure she'll be fine though. What kind of dogs do you have? I have Irish Setters, but my stud dog's father is from Australia, and they aren't crazy. And my fiance will be a vet, so obviously a dog lover too.
I have an 8 yr old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and a long haired Chihuahua who weighs 3.5lbs and is 18 mths old. When we lived in the UK we had Cavaliers and Dobermans...my favourite dogs. Unfortunately it's just not practical to have a Dobe where we live now...we have the land for them to exercise but they would be off chasing the wildlife.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have an 8 yr old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and a long haired Chihuahua who weighs 3.5lbs and is 18 mths old. When we lived in the UK we had Cavaliers and Dobermans...my favourite dogs. Unfortunately it's just not practical to have a Dobe where we live now...we have the land for them to exercise but they would be off chasing the wildlife.
Awww - a dogette. I wonder how much of the weight is the hair? My dog's foot is bigger than that dog

It would be hard to have big dogs without a fence, for sure.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Our story is a bit strange. I knew his wife and sister-in-law long before he and I met. In fact his soon-to-be ex-wife (they were legally separated for 3 years) told him that I would be perfect for him once she found out that we two had been talking. Didn't find out the connection between him and my friend until after we met up though. Although he and I almost did meet in Karlshrue, Germany in 1989. We discovered that we ate lunch in the same restaurant every day while I was there for a month and he was stationed there with the RCAF.
Karlsruhe - now ur making me homesick. Beautiful place isnt it. Your story of how u met is full of twists and turns too. I think most of us could write a book and it still wouldnt be believed. I suppose u get on with his ex ok then? I heard someone say once god has a plan, just were the last to know it.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 7:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, a friend of mine's husband had an upcoming vasectomy...
Okay, this thread has taken a decidedly different turn here!

Ian
Old Mar 21st 2007, 12:26 am
Valley of the Sun

souls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to behold

it's a crap shoot.. you may pull it off, or he may be turned away at the border..

yes, it's a long haul

meet the guy first then make plans.. we all think we're in love before we meet.. and most of our instincts were true.

after you meet, move to vermont and file your papers, he'll be over in no time.

how's that?
Old Mar 21st 2007, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

So this is what happens in the USA/Marriage Based Visa section. That was quite a thread to read through but I really only stay in the Canada section so the change was good.

I appreciate that the OP has probably had all the advice she could possibly need by now but it made me think back to my own situation. I just wanted to say that I met my wife on the internet, she's Canadian and I'm a Brit and before we met face to face we thought we were in love and had plans to marry etc. Actually, we did all the things we thought we would and here we are seven years and two children later. But we both look back and realise just how lucky we really were because we now see that we didn't know each other at all back then although we thought we did. It was an amazing powerful thing this long distance relationship and it had a special buzz all of it's own. However I think that once a couple meet face to face for the first time then it's a brand new stage and a bit like starting all over again.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by stepnek
So this is what happens in the USA/Marriage Based Visa section. That was quite a thread to read through but I really only stay in the Canada section so the change was good.

I appreciate that the OP has probably had all the advice she could possibly need by now but it made me think back to my own situation. I just wanted to say that I met my wife on the internet, she's Canadian and I'm a Brit and before we met face to face we thought we were in love and had plans to marry etc. Actually, we did all the things we thought we would and here we are seven years and two children later. But we both look back and realise just how lucky we really were because we now see that we didn't know each other at all back then although we thought we did. It was an amazing powerful thing this long distance relationship and it had a special buzz all of it's own. However I think that once a couple meet face to face for the first time then it's a brand new stage and a bit like starting all over again.
Glad the yanks could provide some amusement for your viewing pleasure

And yes, they do have a buzz all their own, don't they.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 11:39 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

It was an amazing powerful thing this long distance relationship and it had a special buzz all of it's own. However I think that once a couple meet face to face for the first time then it's a brand new stage and a bit like starting all over again.
I totally agree. Before we met in person, Mark and I were fairly certain that we would want to marry each once we did. But we deliberately held off on making any plans on doing so -- or even assume that we would get engaged -- until AFTER we'd met and spent some time together. For the first few hours after I picked him up from the airport, I could barely look him in the eye because I was so nervous -- even though this was someone I had said "I love you" to too many times to count! My reaction really took me by surprise. So you're right, in many ways it's like getting to know each other all over again.

Luckily for Mark and me, it worked out pretty much as we had expected it to. However, I'd had an online relationship with another guy (he was from NZ) before and thought he was the one for me, too -- until we met in person. Ugh. Let's just say I learned my lesson!

Which is why I think it's fine for the OP to figure out what his immigration options are, but she is getting ahead of herself if she's considering marrying him during his first visit to see her and having him stay.

~ Jenney
Old Mar 21st 2007, 12:15 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I just wanted to say that I met my wife on the internet, she's Canadian and I'm a Brit...
Although Canada and the US are quite similiar culturally - well, the northern half of the US anyway - I suspect that Canada and the UK are more comfortable with each other historically and politically. Honest to god, I've lived in the US for nearly 9 years now and the health care system here can still reduce me to cold sweats!

Indeed, I've learned lots of new words since arriving: y'all (which can be used both in the singular and plural, not to mention collectively), whonchal (why don't y'all - as in, whonchal come over for lunch?), and many more tidbits of "English" as it's spoken in the south!

Ian