British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Internet relationship--wanting to marry (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/internet-relationship-wanting-marry-435313/)

kissalicious1975 Mar 17th 2007 4:09 pm

Internet relationship--wanting to marry

Ok, here's the scenario....My british boyfriend and i (us citizen) are meeting for the first time in person in roughly three weeks. We have been talking online and on the phone for several months now and he will be coming here under the VWP. I know Jay is the man i love and want to be with forever and i know he feels the same way about me. I make a pretty decent salary (more than above the 125% poverty line) so i feel no worry in being able to support us both for even a long time, if necessary, until all the paperwork is processed. However, over the longhaul, i would see that it would be somewhat of a financial strain for either of us to continue to go back and forth from the US to England, especially since we both are certain of what we want. Granted, it's a bit late in the game for me to be pondering these particular questions, however, better late than never..lol. He did resign from a job he hated, of which he had been employed to for nearly a year (and aside from that, i don't know of too many companies that would hold your position for 3 months anyway, i know mine wouldn't). And seeing that he no longer is gainfully employed, he moved in with his uncle and aunt, as he knew he would be coming to see me soon anyway. Soooo, here it is, he has no job, no residence of his own (i.e. mortgage/lease). He will be able to provide a bank statement, credit card bills, and funds for supporting himself while here, and obviously a "return" ticket home. Does anyone think he will have great difficulty at the POE, even if he says he's just here on a holiday to visit friends, even though obviously he intends to stay and for us to get married(he will only have his clothing and personal effects when he arrives). I would GREATFULLY appreciate someone being able to put my mind at ease on this matter.

Sincerely,
Stacey

Ray Mar 17th 2007 4:17 pm

Re: Internet relationship--wanting to marry

Originally Posted by kissalicious1975 (Post 4528594)
Okticket home. Does anyone think he will have great difficulty at the POE, even if he says he's just here on a holiday to visit friends, even though obviously he intends to stay and for us to get married(he will only have his clothing and personal effects when he arrives). I would GREATFULLY appreciate someone being able to put my mind at ease on this matter.

So he intends to enter the US with the intent of marriage to on the VW ...
That would be called Immigration Fraud ......

And you decided on getting married although you have never
met in person ..

Jeez!!! brains of a duck !!!!

DollyLlama Mar 17th 2007 4:21 pm

Why the hurry to get married?
Maybe you should get to know him in person first......

kissalicious1975 Mar 17th 2007 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 4528607)

And you decided on getting married although you have never
met in person ..

Jeez!!! brains of a duck !!!!

I could imagine you wouldn't share my view, but i was only, and might i say, politely asking for an answer to my question, not to be chastized.

Ray Mar 17th 2007 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by kissalicious1975 (Post 4528619)
I could imagine you wouldn't share my view, but i was only, and might i say, politely asking for an answer to my question, not to be chastized.

Not chastizing.. I dont care if he is deported or not ...
or is even let into the country ...

But you just told the world how you intend to break the Law ....

Manc Mar 17th 2007 4:31 pm

don't listen to Ray.
he's just an old bastard.
Get married, I don't give a chuff either way.
it works for some on the VWP and some get hassled.
you pays your money you take your chance.

meauxna Mar 17th 2007 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 4528607)

Um, no it wouldn't, Ray.
Intent+marriage=AOS application = different story.

Viva Las Vegas!

Ray Mar 17th 2007 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 4528628)
Um, no it wouldn't, Ray.

Viva Las Vegas!

What ..speak English ...

Ray Mar 17th 2007 4:36 pm

Does anyone think he will have great difficulty at the POE, even if he says he's just here on a holiday to visit friends, even though obviously he intends to stay and for us to get married

A bit blatant that ...

kissalicious1975 Mar 17th 2007 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 4528628)
Um, no it wouldn't, Ray.

Viva Las Vegas!

Well, it's just that i've been reading over a lot of the posts on here the past couple of days and i've heard both sides of the fence. I hear others saying, "We got married while under the VWP and everything is fine". I'm not some horrible law breaking person, not even so much as a speeding ticket...i just want to know how things are likely to be handled at the POE with the information i have provided, be it ethically or legally to other's liking...i would just appreciate some kind words of advice.

Noorah101 Mar 17th 2007 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 4528633)
What ..speak English ...

It's 100% acceptable for him to enter on the VWP and get married. Then he must return to the UK before his 90-day stay is up. It's *not* ok to come to the USA on the VWP and get married *with the intent to stay and adjust status to permanent resident*. The OP did not say he was going to stay and AOS, she only said they're going to get married, which is fine.

To the OP, as for him being let it, it's up to the POE officer. No one can really say either way.

Best Wishes,
Rene

Noorah101 Mar 17th 2007 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by kissalicious1975 (Post 4528638)
Well, it's just that i've been reading over a lot of the posts on here the past couple of days and i've heard both sides of the fence. I hear others saying, "We got married while under the VWP and everything is fine". I'm not some horrible law breaking person, not even so much as a speeding ticket...i just want to know how things are likely to be handled at the POE with the information i have provided, be it ethically or legally to other's liking...i would just appreciate some kind words of advice.

Work out a Plan B in case he can't get into the USA. If he can't, then you go to the UK and visit him in person. If you still feel he's the one for you, come back to the USA and start a fiance visa petition for him.

I think you will need a particular type of visa if you want to get married in the UK.

Rene

Noorah101 Mar 17th 2007 4:44 pm

... even though obviously he intends to stay and for us to get married...

I took this to mean he will stay long enough to get married within his 90-day VWP stay, and then will return to the UK for visa processing.

Rene

kissalicious1975 Mar 17th 2007 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 4528641)
It's 100% acceptable for him to enter on the VWP and get married. Then he must return to the UK before his 90-day stay is up. It's *not* ok to come to the USA on the VWP and get married *with the intent to stay and adjust status to permanent resident*. The OP did not say he was going to stay and AOS, she only said they're going to get married, which is fine.

To the OP, as for him being let it, it's up to the POE officer. No one can really say either way.

Best Wishes,
Rene

Errr, no i must be honest here as well, i would want him to stay in the US with me and file AOS...sorry <smile>

Ray Mar 17th 2007 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 4528650)
I took this to mean he will stay long enough to get married within his 90-day VWP stay, and then will return to the UK for visa processing.

Rene

Your kidding me .... must be me going senile then ....