Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Insurance for immigrants

Insurance for immigrants

Old May 18th 2007, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Insurance for immigrants

Originally Posted by Tracym
OK I finally found it.

Now - this is the Illinois State plan - it does not necessarily apply to various private plans:

http://www.healthinsuranceinfo.net/il.pdf

What is creditable coverage?
Most health insurance counts as creditable coverage, including:
Children’s Health Insurance Program
Medicare
Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHBP)
Military health coverage (CHAMPUS, TRICARE)
Foreign National Coverage
Group health plan (including COBRA)
State high-risk pools
Indian Health Service
Student health insurance
Individual health insurance
VA coverage
Medicaid

In most cases, you should get a certificate of creditable coverage when you leave a health plan. You also can request certificates at other times.

If you cannot get one, you can submit other proof of prior coverage, such as old health plan ID cards or statements from your doctor showing bills paid by your health insurance plan.
"Most Health Insurance counts as creditable coverage,..... including.....
Foreign National Coverage........"

Some foreign countries that have independent doctors and hospitals and a single payer system may be able to provide the certificate of creditible coverage, but I still don't believe the NHS can provide what will satisfy, as it is not insurance coverage.
Tracy, I hope it works for you. Please post here and let us know.
Old May 18th 2007, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by farmerwife
"Most Health Insurance counts as creditable coverage,..... including.....
Foreign National Coverage........"

Some foreign countries that have independent doctors and hospitals and a single payer system may be able to provide the certificate of creditible coverage, but I still don't believe the NHS can provide what will satisfy, as it is not insurance coverage.
Tracy, I hope it works for you. Please post here and let us know.
Whatever I figure out, I certainly will. Not sure it will work for a fiance anyway, but they swore it would for a green card holder. They do say you can show an insurance card and doctor's note.... so maybe...

We might consider the NHS health insurance anyway - similar to social security/medicare in a way - paid for by taxes, medical care is provided... I'm not sure of course, but it might work out that way.

If someone is in the right position, it is certainly worth checking out anyway.
Old May 18th 2007, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Whatever I figure out, I certainly will. Not sure it will work for a fiance anyway, but they swore it would for a green card holder. They do say you can show an insurance card and doctor's note.... so maybe...

We might consider the NHS health insurance anyway - similar to social security/medicare in a way - paid for by taxes, medical care is provided... I'm not sure of course, but it might work out that way.

If someone is in the right position, it is certainly worth checking out anyway.
I guess that's what I'm saying..... I have tried!
If you can get a US insurer to accept the NHS for purposes of not having a pre existing condition exclusion I think you will be setting precedent!
Old May 18th 2007, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

I guess that's what I'm saying..... I have tried!
If you can get a US insurer to accept the NHS for purposes of not having a pre existing condition exclusion I think you will be setting precedent!
Hmmm. I don't know about a private insurer, but the State said they would.

Who said no to you, if I may ask?

If I end up in the right position, I certainly will try, and I will let you know.
Old May 18th 2007, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hmmm. I don't know about a private insurer, but the State said they would.

Who said no to you, if I may ask?

If I end up in the right position, I certainly will try, and I will let you know.
"Public Health Plan" definition - 45 CFR 146.113
"A Public Health Plan" - a PHP means any plan established or maintained by a State, County, or other political subdivision of a State that provides health insurance to individuals who are enrolled in the Plan.
( State means one of the US.)

The State Pool Plans normally would have private insurer underwriters - in Oregon the State Pool carrier is Regence Blue Cross Blue Shield. So probably if a State employee said "they would" - the legal terminology of the underwriters could supercede whatever assurances a State rep may say....

When I was working on this, I had an health insurance broker with 40 years experience in the industry do the researching. He asked underwriters across Oregon to look into it. And whether it was RBCBS individual coverage or RBCBS
as the underwriter of the State program, the definitions were the same.
The State legal definitions for health insurance based on US legal Code.
The NHS doesn't fit the US Code legal description of "health insurance" or "public health plan".

The reason I am so nit picky over this is - I have experience in another area
of insurance where a rep assured coverage over a particular item where the policy language seemed to carry more than one meaning. When a claim was made, and denied, rep's words mean nothing. If it's insurance for something where a big claim could be made - a claim large enough to take all your assets
and life savings -I would certainly in future get a written legal opinion on the whether the policy would hold up in the event of a specific claim.
This would hold true for any of kind insurance policy, and if health insurance, both the State Pool and individual.
Old May 18th 2007, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

"Public Health Plan" definition - 45 CFR 146.113
"A Public Health Plan" - a PHP means any plan established or maintained by a State, County, or other political subdivision of a State that provides health insurance to individuals who are enrolled in the Plan.
( State means one of the US.)

The State Pool Plans normally would have private insurer underwriters - in Oregon the State Pool carrier is Regence Blue Cross Blue Shield. So probably if a State employee said "they would" - the legal terminology of the underwriters could supercede whatever assurances a State rep may say....

When I was working on this, I had an health insurance broker with 40 years experience in the industry do the researching. He asked underwriters across Oregon to look into it. And whether it was RBCBS individual coverage or RBCBS
as the underwriter of the State program, the definitions were the same.
The State legal definitions for health insurance based on US legal Code.
The NHS doesn't fit the US Code legal description of "health insurance" or "public health plan".

The reason I am so nit picky over this is - I have experience in another area
of insurance where a rep assured coverage over a particular item where the policy language seemed to carry more than one meaning. When a claim was made, and denied, rep's words mean nothing. If it's insurance for something where a big claim could be made - a claim large enough to take all your assets
and life savings -I would certainly in future get a written legal opinion on the whether the policy would hold up in the event of a specific claim.
This would hold true for any of kind insurance policy, and if health insurance, both the State Pool and individual.
Oh you're not nit picky at all - or only in a good way anyway. I very much appreciate the information - you seem to be much better at finding the definitions than I am.

Even a rep's word in writing wouldn't be binding? oh, btw, he said he was the underwriter.
Old May 18th 2007, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

unicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond repute

Unicorndreams, good news on your Mum's paperwork moving along.
Hope you have managed to search out a good policy for her. Did your State Pool work out for her?
Thanks.
Dont know if we have a State pool in Missouri.I will look into that.
I have checked on a few companies. All very expensive as we know.
But hopefully her UK pension will cover that .Its all abit of a mystery really on who is the best.
Old May 18th 2007, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by unicorndreams
Thanks.
Dont know if we have a State pool in Missouri.I will look into that.
I have checked on a few companies. All very expensive as we know.
But hopefully her UK pension will cover that .Its all abit of a mystery really on who is the best.
Unicorndreams - Here's a handy link to check out individual health insurance for each State.

http://www.healthinsuranceinfo.net/
Old May 18th 2007, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh you're not nit picky at all - or only in a good way anyway. I very much appreciate the information - you seem to be much better at finding the definitions than I am.

Even a rep's word in writing wouldn't be binding? oh, btw, he said he was the underwriter.
In writing in the policy could be a different matter - perhaps your Illinois people are more flexible. I would still have a lawyer read it. I was talking over these things with an immigration attorney, and she did say what kind of lawyer - can't remember right now - perhaps a contract lawyer could read it over. Anyway, that was a moot point, because I never found anyone willing to take on the NHS as creditable coverage anyway.
Old May 18th 2007, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In writing in the policy could be a different matter - perhaps your Illinois people are more flexible. I would still have a lawyer read it. I was talking over these things with an immigration attorney, and she did say what kind of lawyer - can't remember right now - perhaps a contract lawyer could read it over. Anyway, that was a moot point, because I never found anyone willing to take on the NHS as creditable coverage anyway.
Thanks. Well, if you remember the kind of attorney, or if your immigration attorney had any good ideas, let us know.

Maybe Illinois is - they did specifically mention foreign plans.
Old May 18th 2007, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks. Well, if you remember the kind of attorney, or if your immigration attorney had any good ideas, let us know.

Maybe Illinois is - they did specifically mention foreign plans.
Farmerwife - what do you think about this? It is from the link you posted above, re. insurance in Illinois in general, not just the CHIP program.

"Creditable Coverage. Health insurance coverage under any of the following: a group health plan; individual health insurance; Medicare; Medicaid; CHAMPUS (health coverage for military personnel, retirees, and dependents); Federal Employees Health Benefits Program (FEHBP); Indian Health Service; Peace Corps; Public Health Plan (any plan established or maintained by a State, the U.S. government, a foreign country); State Children’s Health Insurance Program; or a state health insurance high risk pool."
Old May 18th 2007, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Farmerwife - what do you think about this? It is from the link you posted above, re. insurance in Illinois in general, not just the CHIP program.

"Creditable Coverage. Health insurance coverage under any of the following: a group health plan; individual health insurance; Medicare; Medicaid; CHAMPUS (health coverage for military personnel, retirees, and dependents); Federal Employees Health Benefits Program (FEHBP); Indian Health Service; Peace Corps; Public Health Plan ([B]any plan established or maintained [/B]by a State, the U.S. government, a foreign country); State Children’s Health Insurance Program; or a state health insurance high risk
pool."
IMHO I think it means foreign country systems which have independent doctors and hospitals and a single payer insurance system. More like Medicare, where you can see your doctor of choice or use your hospital of choice and the doctor or hospital bills Medicare. Under such a system you could get what you need when - more like the US.
Old May 18th 2007, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

IMHO I think it means foreign country systems which have independent doctors and hospitals and a single payer insurance system. More like Medicare, where you can see your doctor of choice or use your hospital of choice and the doctor or hospital bills Medicare. Under such a system you could get what you need when - more like the US.
OK thanks, fair enough. I'll have to try to figure out where to actually get a definitive answer.
Old May 22nd 2007, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

unicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond repute

Unicorndreams - Here's a handy link to check out individual health insurance for each State.

http://www.healthinsuranceinfo.net/
Thanks i will check it out.
Mum also has HSA at home which is private insurance . Wonder if that will make any difference here ? Dad used to have Bupa,that got expensive so they changed to HSA