Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Insurance for immigrants

Insurance for immigrants

Old May 14th 2007, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Insurance for immigrants

I have not used these people, but others have recommended it. It is HIPAA creditable coverage, which is very important imo. It is designed to cover new immigrants, especially the gap before getting a job. If you have a pre-existing medical condition, maintaining HIPAA coverage is important. I am investigating, but I believe the NHS counts towards HIPAA.

http://www.nriol.net/nriol/insurance...ce-compare.asp

Just in case it's helpful.
Old May 14th 2007, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insurance for immigrants

One more specific part - this part does cover pre-existing conditions:

http://www.nriol.net/nriol/insurance/global-citizen.asp
Old May 15th 2007, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Tracy, I had looked into this, and found through Google quite a few who weren't happy. It seems for something like a long term serious condition (cancer) they would repatriate the patient for treatment. Perhaps more like a kind of travel insurance. The policy I looked at was "Inbound Immigrant". The "Global Citizen" one I think excludes a lot for US permanant residents, it seems more like for those travelling through. That's just IMHO.
Old May 15th 2007, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by farmerwife
Tracy, I had looked into this, and found through Google quite a few who weren't happy. It seems for something like a long term serious condition (cancer) they would repatriate the patient for treatment. Perhaps more like a kind of travel insurance. The policy I looked at was "Inbound Immigrant". The "Global Citizen" one I think excludes a lot for US permanant residents, it seems more like for those travelling through. That's just IMHO.
I'll have to check more. Travel insurance for sure, they would repatriate the person I'm sure, they pretty much all do.

The Global Citizen one was the one I meant to reference. I don't think it's meant to be permanent - maybe for the first year or something like that. On the surface it looked ok - what are you saying they exclude?
Old May 15th 2007, 12:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
I'll have to check more. Travel insurance for sure, they would repatriate the person I'm sure, they pretty much all do.

The Global Citizen one was the one I meant to reference. I don't think it's meant to be permanent - maybe for the first year or something like that. On the surface it looked ok - what are you saying they exclude?
If it's like travel insurance you would have to prove you were in the US as a visitor if there you made a claim.
Old May 15th 2007, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If it's like travel insurance you would have to prove you were in the US as a visitor if there you made a claim.
No I don't think it is travel insurance. It is intended for immigrants, and people with visas.

I think.

I'm still checking into it, just thought I'd put the info up, so anyone interested could check also. And of course, if anyone's used them, I'd be happy to hear about it.
Old May 15th 2007, 1:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

No I don't think it is travel insurance. It is intended for immigrants, and people with visas.

I think.

I'm still checking into it, just thought I'd put the info up, so anyone interested could check also. And of course, if anyone's used them, I'd be happy to hear about it.
I haven't read the link...just going on what's been said in the posts.
Old May 15th 2007, 1:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I haven't read the link...just going on what's been said in the posts.
Actually, so far they look pretty good - this is the underwriters, and their complaint ration seems very good. I'm still waiting for the catch though...

https://apps.tdi.state.tx.us/pcci/pc...p?tdiNum=93704
Old May 15th 2007, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Tracy, the Global Citizen one on the link you provided says in bold print -
N.B. - U.S. Benefits do not apply to the Global Citizen Insurance EXP plan.
Part of the problem is, the company's descriptions are......"fuzzy", and not terribly clear on what's what. When I researched it last year, I think you do not get a copy of the actual policy wording until you have applied, paid, and been accepted. Then, when you get the actual policy document, you have a certain length of time to cancel the policy.
Old May 15th 2007, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracy, the Global Citizen one on the link you provided says in bold print -
N.B. - U.S. Benefits do not apply to the Global Citizen Insurance EXP plan.
Part of the problem is, the company's descriptions are......"fuzzy", and not terribly clear on what's what. When I researched it last year, I think you do not get a copy of the actual policy wording until you have applied, paid, and been accepted. Then, when you get the actual policy document, you have a certain length of time to cancel the policy.
Ah I see. I can read some policies online, but it is hard to tell - I'd agree with you.

Well may not work out then - it seemed worth looking into though.
Old May 15th 2007, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ah I see. I can read some policies online, but it is hard to tell - I'd agree with you.

Well may not work out then - it seemed worth looking into though.
Also it says the "Global Citizen" policy covers pre-existing - but, only if coming from a HIPAA creditable prior policy. AFAIK, in IMHO, NHS does not qualify as one of those. I had been looking for my parents. Finally settled on the Oregon insurance pool. Perhaps your State has one of those?
The only catch is, have to be a resident to be eligible. A person immigrating through a POE and getting the "GC stamp" and making a home in Oregon means they are eligible from day one as far as the Oregon Pool is considered.

An interesting question then - what does a person coming in on a fiance visa do for health insurance? Travel insurance may not be valid if it came to a disputed claim - The Ins. Co. could say the claimant wasn't just travelling.
It makes the case for a spouse visa look better if there is health insurance to consider. Then the immigrating spouse could just be added to the USC's health insurance?

Last edited by farmerwife; May 15th 2007 at 4:39 pm. Reason: sp.
Old May 15th 2007, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Also it says the "Global Citizen" policy covers pre-existing - but, only if coming from a HIPAA cerditable prior policy. AFAIK, in IMHO, NHS does not qualify as one of those. I had been looking for my parents. Finally settled on the Oregon insurance pool. Perhaps your State has one of those?
The only catch is, have to be a resident to be eligible. A person immigrating through a POE and getting the "GC stamp" and making a home in Oregon means they are eligible from day one as far as the Oregon Pool is considered.

An interesting question then - what does a person coming in on a fiance visa do for health insurance? Travel insurance may not be valid if it came to a disputed claim - The Ins. Co. could say the claimant wasn't just travelling.
It makes the case for a spouse visa look better if there is health insurance to consider. Then the immigrating spouse could just be added to the USC's health insurance?
Good points, true. I'll have to keep checking.
Old May 15th 2007, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Also it says the "Global Citizen" policy covers pre-existing - but, only if coming from a HIPAA cerditable prior policy. AFAIK, in IMHO, NHS does not qualify as one of those. I had been looking for my parents. Finally settled on the Oregon insurance pool. Perhaps your State has one of those?

Actually, I'm trying to figure out if the NHS counts. I have seen it said that foreign government plans count, but....

If I ever get an answer, I'll post it.
Old May 15th 2007, 4:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

would depend on the insurance company....where the missus use to work, when she started, the policy was, you couldn't add a married spouse unless you've been married more than a year, if you got married after starting, you'd have to have worked there for a year before adding them on, and then only through the tight enrolment period....so the spouse would just have to be very, very careful for a year and not be covered or get one through their own means.
Old May 16th 2007, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

unicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond repute

Also it says the "Global Citizen" policy covers pre-existing - but, only if coming from a HIPAA creditable prior policy. AFAIK, in IMHO, NHS does not qualify as one of those. I had been looking for my parents. Finally settled on the Oregon insurance pool. Perhaps your State has one of those?

Hi,
I came on fiance visa in May 2002.
Couldnt get on husbands insurance. Had to be here 6 months before Blue cross would take me.And would not cover a kidney stone that had been pre existing 1 week before leaving Uk ,for the next 4 years.
Luckily i was not ill in that 6 month time frame.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.