Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I wonder f there is a state that Brits settle more or well in?

I wonder f there is a state that Brits settle more or well in?

Old Sep 8th 2011, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: I wonder f there is a state that Brits settle more or well in?

We've been out in Seattle now for almost a year now.
Winter was very grey and wet but mild. Summer has been glorious from about mid July with max daytime temperatures in the range 22-28C.
So we don't need air con and don't feel too hot or humid.

Seattle feels quite cosmopolitan too with a huge mix of foreigners here. They're big on the environment too and actually have a cheap and efficient bus and transit system in DT.

No tornadoes, hurricanes or forest fires. No tarantulas, scorpions, rattle snakes or other poisonous creatures. Not many mosquitoes either. Bears, bobcats and earthquakes are the major risk factors compared to the UK.

People aren't that friendly, but hey you can't have everything!
Old Sep 9th 2011, 12:33 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I'd like RI best. Providence or Pawtucket. Providence is like a mini Boston. And easy to get to both Boston & NYC.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
I think I'd like RI best. Providence or Pawtucket. Providence is like a mini Boston. And easy to get to both Boston & NYC.
Yes, the smaller, shitter, grottier and more crime ridden version, without the bells and whistles....but the ball team is much more affordable to go see, with a decent little airport that doesn't hose you on the parking
Old Sep 9th 2011, 11:37 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Yes, the smaller, shitter, grottier and more crime ridden version, without the bells and whistles....but the ball team is much more affordable to go see, with a decent little airport that doesn't hose you on the parking
+1 Providence isn't much of a city and the whole state is on the edge of bankruptcy.

MA is an easy state for any European to live in and Boston is a very European city. Walkable, good public transport, lots of culture, not much religion on display in politics or life generally.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Pinky29 is an unknown quantity at this point

I loved living in New Hampshire but it was a while ago - easy access to Boston, White Mountains and generally had a great feel. I felt at thome there. I also lived in SC which is a great place for holidays but I felt very alien - now moving to VA so will wait and see...
Old Sep 9th 2011, 12:19 pm
B65
Forum Regular

B65 is an unknown quantity at this point

My daughter lives in NH and loves it, the white mountains are beautiful... did you make a lot of friends? and have a decent social life.... Hope the move to VA goes great, I hear lots of good things about VA, I just moved to NJ and not settling in too well as yet, we are renting for a year Daughter loves her school but might consider moving into NY for next year... Never thought i would Miss CT.. ha!
Old Sep 9th 2011, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

Pinky29 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am still in contact with the friends I made in NH - I wish I was moving back there! We lived near Portsmouth. I must admit I like the North East though never been out west. Good luck with settling in.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
+1 Providence isn't much of a city and the whole state is on the edge of bankruptcy.

MA is an easy state for any European to live in and Boston is a very European city. Walkable, good public transport, lots of culture, not much religion on display in politics or life generally.
Not 'the coolest city in New England' then ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...lest-city.html

On the crime issue - I suspect that Providence has the same issues that a lot of UK cities have - e.g Nottingham - that the city boundary is tightly drawn and therefore the statistics are skewed. The actual population of the city itself is 170,000 whereas the population of the metro area is circa 1 million. Most crime happens in the city centre and the inner city rather than the large suburbs like Warwick or Cranston (which haven't been annexed to Providence) and voila massive crime rates per 100,000. Hence why Providence can appear in the list for the most dangerous city in the nation and the safest at the same time.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6390681_top...ties-live.html

Then again, it might be an absolute shitehole - i've never been.

Last edited by HumphreyC; Sep 9th 2011 at 1:39 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 2:19 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if it still is, but RI was considered the most corrupt State in the US at one point and is on the verge of bankruptcy because of financial mismanagement. Also remember some ranking of "ease of doing business" in some magazine I was reading and RI was ranked last because of bureaucratic problems.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 2:42 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Boston is the Hub of the Universe.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

deftoneuk is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by B65
Never visited Texas, though i would like to... do you like it? and what is the most popular place to live in Texas?
I love in Dallas, and there are lots of Brits. I like it here, there is lots to see and do, Im a big sports fan so Dallas is great for that. The only thing I dont like is the heat!!
Old Sep 9th 2011, 5:48 pm
B65
Forum Regular

B65 is an unknown quantity at this point

now Dallas is one place for some reason i have been interested in relocating too! I have never been but heard great things.... any info on areas to live etc?
Old Sep 9th 2011, 8:14 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deftoneuk
I love in Dallas, and there are lots of Brits. I like it here, there is lots to see and do, Im a big sports fan so Dallas is great for that. The only thing I dont like is the heat!!
I once visited the Lockheed plant just outside Fort Worth......the town was call White Settlement and I drove past a load of scary evangelical churches to get there. I could not live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and the heat is the least of my issues with the place. If you like sports Boston is hard to beat - Celtics, Red Sox, and Bruins play downtown so it's easy to get to and Patriots are in Foxborough

Last edited by nun; Sep 9th 2011 at 8:23 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nun
I once visited the Lockheed plant just outside Fort Worth......the town was call White Settlement and I drove past a load of scary evangelical churches to get there. I could not live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and the heat is the least of my issues with the place. If you like sports Boston is hard to beat - Celtics, Red Sox, and Bruins play downtown so it's easy to get to and Patriots are in Foxborough
Everyone here knows it as "the settlement" for political correctness reasons...
Old Sep 9th 2011, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by B65
now Dallas is one place for some reason i have been interested in relocating too! I have never been but heard great things.... any info on areas to live etc?
I live in the Wylie/Rockwall/Rowlett area, and I think its a good area to live. Its pretty small town living here, but with downtown Dallas only 30mins away. so the best of both worlds. Dallas is so big there are a ton of nice places to live, but also some more undesirable places, such as Oak Cliff.

Negatives about living here.... the rush hour traffic downtown can be terrible, your power bill is always high due to the A/C being on 24/7 for 10months of the year at least, and the constant heat makes doing things outdoors uncomfortable during the summer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.