Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I wonder f there is a state that Brits settle more or well in?

I wonder f there is a state that Brits settle more or well in?

Old Sep 15th 2011, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I wonder f there is a state that Brits settle more or well in?

Originally Posted by kimilseung
We need to know what that is.
Well...

pin-stripe suit and bowler hat
socks with sandals and the white knobbly knees
Men in capri pants
... pretty much covers it.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KetteringEnglandRocks2005
Well unless people like the heat and the fact that it gets to be 100+ for at lest 4 months of the year I do not think that many British people will really settle of like Las Vegas NV or Nevada in general because of the climate and the politics here are really bad in my opinion. May be northern CA or MA would be better suited for Brits than Nevada. although it does get sunny for well over 300 days a year here.
I'm entering my 3rd year of Phoenix/Scottsdale living and still loving it. I do get to go to San Francisco Bay Area every month for a week or so (for work), which keeps me sane from a political point of view - and allows me to satisfy my craving for great Asian food - but I am really loving life in the Sonoran desert! I love the sunny days, and the hot weather isn't bothering me much at all - even now, when it's still hitting 100 during the day, the nights are fantastic and I can sit outside at a restaurant. And soon - come October - we'll have fantastic daytime weather right through till next June, which just can't be beat. What is best, though, is the 'southwest' feel to the place - there is something very appealing in the way the place looks, and the sunsets are just fantastic. So while it may not be for everyone, I'm certainly one who has taken to the desert very well!
Old Sep 18th 2011, 8:25 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I'm entering my 3rd year of Phoenix/Scottsdale living and still loving it. I do get to go to San Francisco Bay Area every month for a week or so (for work), which keeps me sane from a political point of view - and allows me to satisfy my craving for great Asian food - but I am really loving life in the Sonoran desert! I love the sunny days, and the hot weather isn't bothering me much at all - even now, when it's still hitting 100 during the day, the nights are fantastic and I can sit outside at a restaurant. And soon - come October - we'll have fantastic daytime weather right through till next June, which just can't be beat. What is best, though, is the 'southwest' feel to the place - there is something very appealing in the way the place looks, and the sunsets are just fantastic. So while it may not be for everyone, I'm certainly one who has taken to the desert very well!
Are you on some sort of happy drugs Steerpike? Your general positive demeanor does not strike me as a natural Brit - are you sure you're not some sort of johnny-foreigner masquerading as a Brit expat?
Old Sep 18th 2011, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Are you on some sort of happy drugs Steerpike? Your general positive demeanor does not strike me as a natural Brit - are you sure you're not some sort of johnny-foreigner masquerading as a Brit expat?
I don't think Steerpike's on anything. It's the sunshine and warmth that helps to make you cheerful. It's the damp and cold that drag you down and make you miserable. aka: British weather.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 11:40 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
I don't think Steerpike's on anything. It's the sunshine and warmth that helps to make you cheerful. It's the damp and cold that drag you down and make you miserable. aka: British weather.
The temp here in Va just dropped to 65F and its been grey, gloomy and overcast the last few days with rain on and off.
Its put me in a fantastic mood after 5 months of bloody sunshine, heat and sweating.

I hope it lasts for weeks.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 11:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
The damp/cold isn't a problem...it's the extremes of snow and humidity that make people miserable
Old Sep 19th 2011, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The damp/cold isn't a problem...it's the extremes of snow and humidity that make people miserable
That's exactly how I feel - I hate the extreme heat and humidity in the summer and then the cold and snow in the winter. I guess Spring and Fall are the only seasons I really enjoy living here!
Old Sep 19th 2011, 11:52 am
B65
Forum Regular

B65 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think i go do Scottsdale, i Love the sunshine and heat, I was in Bahrain for 6 years and Guam for 2 was very happy there. I did go to Tucson for maybe a job but wasn't too sure, Would love to see Phoenix though..