Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I wonder f there is a state that Brits settle more or well in?

I wonder f there is a state that Brits settle more or well in?

Old Sep 7th 2011, 7:23 pm
B65
Forum Regular

B65 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I wonder f there is a state that Brits settle more or well in?

I have only lived on the East coast, just left CT and Moved to NJ, have lived in Bahrain and Guam too and loved it in those places. I have visited other states down south and liked those places , but is there a state that you have really loved living in and why? ....

B

Last edited by B65; Sep 7th 2011 at 7:23 pm. Reason: sp
Old Sep 7th 2011, 8:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I wonder f there is a state that Brits settle more or well in?

Lot of it probably depends on work and financial situation.

I rather liked Maine, but there's bum all for work.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 8:23 pm
B65
Forum Regular

I had a lovely vacation in Owls head Maine and i loved it!
Old Sep 7th 2011, 8:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

FLORIDA!
Old Sep 8th 2011, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

I find Maine to be a fairly comfy fit. I don't feel so foreign here somehow. I've travelled all over the states and lived in AK and NY. I think I would go crazy living in the south or mid-west, although I'm sure there are nice parts.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 1:34 am
B65
Forum Regular

Maine is beautiful too, I loved the town of Camden... Where in NY were you?

B
Old Sep 8th 2011, 3:17 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
FLORIDA!
Yeah, I lived in Florida and there were loads of British people there, however unlike me a large percentage of them were there illegally. I don't think it's as popular anymore since Florida tightened up on the ID requirements after 9/11 as it is basically impossible to get ID now if you are in the State illegally. Also they cracked down on the homestead exemption so you can only get it now if you're a US citizen or LPR, so even if you are there legally, in a non-immigrant category you're going to be paying more taxes.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 8:16 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

My mom owns a condo in Florida and I have several friends and relatives there so I've been going down there since I was a kid . My husband and I have been down there to visit a few times together and he visited Florida before he even met me. He would love to move down there.Thinks it's the best place in the states. There is absolutely no way I would live there. My British friends who live in the UK all love Florida as well.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 2:52 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Lived in Michigan and absolutely loved it - the people were so friendly and it was easy to travel all over the US. The only downside was that the property taxes were high.
The state I'd least like to live in is Florida, followed by the other Southern states as I'm not a big fan of the heat.
Would love to live in Maine / Vermont / New Hampshire / Mass, but would live anywhere if it meant I could get a US visa.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 3:23 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Being an imperialist from way back, I chose the Empire State!
Seriously though, I feel pretty comfortable in New York State. Even our Republicans are normal people here (i.e. they tend to be fiscal conservatives whose ancestors fought for the Union in the Civil War, rather than being Faith-Based Wingnuts.)
Old Sep 8th 2011, 3:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Always amusing that the Dems were the ones against emancipation.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

deftoneuk is on a distinguished road

there are lots of us brits down here in Texas
Old Sep 8th 2011, 7:29 pm
B65
Forum Regular

Never visited Texas, though i would like to... do you like it? and what is the most popular place to live in Texas?
Old Sep 8th 2011, 7:51 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

The state of denial.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 7:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by B65
Never visited Texas, though i would like to... do you like it? and what is the most popular place to live in Texas?
I'd love to check out San Antonio and Austin...the rest of the state doesn't hold any personal appeal to me :/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.