Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I guess this is what they call 'homesickness'

I guess this is what they call 'homesickness'

Old Jun 22nd 2007, 8:30 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I guess this is what they call 'homesickness'

PS. Happy hour was good. I had calamari for the first time, it's lovely..it tastes of Spain!
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Our relocation co. promised all of that but didn't deliver and they were totally useless to boot. Everytime I asked something that they didn't know the answer to they told me to Google it. Eventually, after a very stressful day, I told them they were being paid to google it, not me. They were even less helpful after that and we never heard anything from them after we actually arrived here.
Our realtor, who was part of the relocation team, was wonderful and is now a good friend. She really went the extra mile for us, even lending us money when the UK bank messed up a transfer.
Ah Doris .. the lack of replies (but literally 100s of reads) made me feel like a right whingy pom!

I'm not a needy person by any stretch of the imagination, but honestly, I really thought there would be more help and advice than this ..

If I worked for a relocation company I'd be on the phone and/or emailing as soon as the family arrived. None of this silence business. Crap I tell you, crap
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 9:57 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

PS. Happy hour was good. I had calamari for the first time, it's lovely..it tastes of Spain!
Oh calamari is lovely! I often make it here at home. Just tell a USC what it is made from and watch them puke
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 10:01 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Oh calamari is lovely! I often make it here at home. Just tell a USC what it is made from and watch them puke
My OH is allergic to shellfish and so he doesn't really like fish at all. British fish and chips and fishfingers are about his limit and so we rarely eat it. I love salmon, tinned, fresh, smoked and my daughters and I eat tuna but that's about it.
I had never tasted calamari despite many trips to Spain, just because I didn't want to order it and hate it. Last night my friend had won a "happy hour" at a fish place (Mitchells...don't know if they are nationwide) and so we had free appetizers..for much longer than an hour. So I tried all sorts of things
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 10:31 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

There aren't many things I miss about living in the city. Calamari is one of them! Our favorite Italian place had the best I'd ever tasted. I'd get Calamari as an appetizer then a seafood pasta dish. Espresso afterwards... :Homerdrool:

That restaurant closed suddenly. Turned out it was just a front for a mob organization.:curse::curse:
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 11:22 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
There aren't many things I miss about living in the city. Calamari is one of them! Our favorite Italian place had the best I'd ever tasted. I'd get Calamari as an appetizer then a seafood pasta dish. Espresso afterwards... :Homerdrool:

That restaurant closed suddenly. Turned out it was just a front for a mob organization.:curse::curse:

My people make a fish stew with squid rings that is truly outstanding. I battled to find them when we first moved but about a year later it started getting stocked. Imagine my one neighbor's face when she was over at my house and I started making this. She had a fit. I asked her if she liked calamari and proceeded to laugh when she said yes
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 12:11 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap

My people make a fish stew with squid rings that is truly outstanding. I battled to find them when we first moved but about a year later it started getting stocked. Imagine my one neighbor's face when she was over at my house and I started making this. She had a fit. I asked her if she liked calamari and proceeded to laugh when she said yes
Nothing better than a fork full of lemon buttery tentacles!

My Grandfather used to make baked squid with a tomato based sauce, it ended up looking kind of like Cannelloni. The squid turned out slightly more rubbery than if it were fried but it tasted great. He also made a great tripe, also in tomato sauce.

That man could cook! His parents immigrated from Sicily right before his birth. During his childhood they were dirt poor, (He used to tell me of catching pidgeons in the street and bringing them home to be cooked and eaten) and he quit school after the 8th grade to work for a produce company in what was called "Produce Row" at the time. He eventually purchased a building and opened his own market. He had such a gregarious personality and serious work ethic that the store was a success and he made a good living. The man would eat anything, and relish it as if it were his last meal. I think he remembered what it was like to be hungry.

I've never had a fish stew. Next time you make a batch let me know and I'll stop by!

Sorry for going so far off topic!
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 12:19 am
Account Closed

I'll post the recipe in the recipe thread

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Nothing better than a fork full of lemon buttery tentacles!

My Grandfather used to make baked squid with a tomato based sauce, it ended up looking kind of like Cannelloni. The squid turned out slightly more rubbery than if it were fried but it tasted great. He also made a great tripe, also in tomato sauce.

That man could cook! His parents immigrated from Sicily right before his birth. During his childhood they were dirt poor, (He used to tell me of catching pidgeons in the street and bringing them home to be cooked and eaten) and he quit school after the 8th grade to work for a produce company in what was called "Produce Row" at the time. He eventually purchased a building and opened his own market. He had such a gregarious personality and serious work ethic that the store was a success and he made a good living. The man would eat anything, and relish it as if it were his last meal. I think he remembered what it was like to be hungry.

I've never had a fish stew. Next time you make a batch let me know and I'll stop by!

Sorry for going so far off topic!
Old Jul 9th 2007, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Manti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud of

Hey Mandana!
How are you doing?
Hope everything is better
Old Jul 9th 2007, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manti
Hey Mandana!
How are you doing?
Hope everything is better
Hey Manti

Thanks for posting

Things are slowly getting better, although they aren't 100%, but I didn't want to come here and moan too much about it!

This week is the first full week we'll be experiencing how it'll be in our new home with OH commuting to work and me getting into some sort of routine. We've been here 2 weeks now and apart from a lack of furniture (this house is far bigger than ours in the UK, and we thought that was big!) we're much straighter than we hoped we'd be.

Had a meeting with the MD from the Ex-pat company last week after emailing her saying (in essence) my contact was crap, and she got straight onto it. We even hooked up with her and her family on July 4th, which was nice.

Thanks for asking .. appreciate it

Mandana x
Old Jul 9th 2007, 5:34 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mandana
Things are slowly getting better, although they aren't 100%, but I didn't want to come here and moan too much about it!
Whyever not, we're always up for a good moan.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

Manti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud of

I don't mind you moaning, not at all
I have a homesickness wave at the moment myself, going home in august, very scared "what if i wouldn't wanna go back..?!"
Old Jul 9th 2007, 10:27 pm
Who?

I don't mind you moaning, not at all
I have a homesickness wave at the moment myself, going home in august, very scared "what if i wouldn't wanna go back..?!"
That's my big worry. I am OK here at the moment, although feeling a bit fed up at the down turn in the greencard situation.

My daughters have just spent 3 weeks in the UK, back in our old towm. The 16 year old will miss her best friend but is looking forward to coming back but my 18 year old has spent three weeks, clubbing,being able to get everywhere on public transport and being treated like an adult at 18. She isn't looking forward to coming back.

Mandana...moan away if it gets you through the day.

Sometimes this has been the only place I could say anything negative about the USA. My OH loves it here and has done since day 1. Doesn't care if he never sets foot in the UK again and I have never wanted to say negative things in front of my children. I wanted them to have a really positive start over here and so moaning on here was my secret vice.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

yeah I know what you mean..about being treated like adult..
I'm going completely crazy lately-last week every single night
i have these dreams about my home town
wake up with tears..
Old Jul 10th 2007, 2:35 pm
Who?

yeah I know what you mean..about being treated like adult..
I'm going completely crazy lately-last week every single night
i have these dreams about my home town
wake up with tears..
That used to happen and I would not open my eyes for a while, hoping that "here" had just been a bad dream, and that when I did look I would see my old bedroom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.