Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How do you like your state?

How do you like your state?

Old Oct 23rd 2009, 2:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you like your state?

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Hmmm ... I'm not saying this is typical, but when we were in the UK for two weeks in August - September it rained all but four days. (And it rained a little bit on a couple of those days too, but the bulk was sun so I'm counting them!) It definitely makes a difference if you're in the east (more sun) vs. the west (more rain).

If that sounds excessive I'm sure someone will correct me. I don't have anything to compare that experience to.

BUT ... it's never raining in the pub!
Last year I spent the end of July, all August and the first week in September in the UK...it rained every day. I had to buy a coat, sweaters, trousers and shoes because I'd only taken capris, summer tops and sandals with me. I swore I'd never willingly spend the summer months there again.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 2:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Last year I spent the end of July, all August and the first week in September in the UK...it rained every day. I had to buy a coat, sweaters, trousers and shoes because I'd only taken capris, summer tops and sandals with me. I swore I'd never willingly spend the summer months there again.
To be fair (and I can only speak of my experience) it wasn't a downpour on all of those days, but many were misty with rain off and on throughout the day. I can see how you could miss the sun though. Luxembourg was also cloudy most days when I lived there.

On the plus side, you got nice new clothes, right?
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Awww poor you. Got too used to our weather eh?
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm ... I'm not saying this is typical, but when we were in the UK for two weeks in August - September it rained all but four days. (And it rained a little bit on a couple of those days too, but the bulk was sun so I'm counting them!) It definitely makes a difference if you're in the east (more sun) vs. the west (more rain).

If that sounds excessive I'm sure someone will correct me. I don't have anything to compare that experience to.

BUT ... it's never raining in the pub!
This past summer was I would have to say pretty British by your description. I don't think I've seen the sun for more than 30 days since May of this year. That and we had supercell thunderstorms rolling through here almost weekly to bi-weekly. I kinda liked it actually. Sucks driving in it though
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 2:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair (and I can only speak of my experience) it wasn't a downpour on all of those days, but many were misty with rain off and on throughout the day. I can see how you could miss the sun though. Luxembourg was also cloudy most days when I lived there.

On the plus side, you got nice new clothes, right?
Yes that's what it was like...usually bright and sunny early on but the rain clouds soon developed.

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
Awww poor you. Got too used to our weather eh?
Correct.

This past summer was I would have to say pretty British by your description. I don't think I've seen the sun for more than 30 days since May of this year. That and we had supercell thunderstorms rolling through here almost weekly to bi-weekly. I kinda liked it actually. Sucks driving in it though
This summer was dreadful. We've lived here over 13 years and I've not experience such bad summer weather. In the UK when it rains it's usually colder than it was here this summer...in the 50's and 60's F.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

This summer was dreadful. We've lived here over 13 years and I've not experience such bad summer weather. In the UK when it rains it's usually colder than it was here this summer...in the 50's and 60's F.
Oh so it wasn't just south-central PA that got the British-like weather then? And I agree also, I never have lived through a summer this cold and cloudy before. The year before it was all sunny sunny sunny and in the 90s. Makes me wonder what winter will hold....
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 3:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Oh so it wasn't just south-central PA that got the British-like weather then? And I agree also, I never have lived through a summer this cold and cloudy before. The year before it was all sunny sunny sunny and in the 90s. Makes me wonder what winter will hold....
I missed the previous summer because I was in the UK.

I read we're going to have a bad winter.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucky you! I was melting out here! hahaha.

Bad winter....I hope it's not so bad that I relive my winter life in the Poconos
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 3:13 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that is a downside to living in the UK...along with the reduced amount of daylight hours.
You want to live in Boston and feel right at home...it rains here more than it ever did back in blighty

And it's always dark in winter, little oppressive at times....worse up in Maine though, dark well early and it's well late before the sun comes back up.

Then again, I'm not a northern bumpkin and we had this thing called electricity down south so them new fangled things like light bulbs would work
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 3:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Bob
You want to live in Boston and feel right at home...it rains here more than it ever did back in blighty

And it's always dark in winter, little oppressive at times....worse up in Maine though, dark well early and it's well late before the sun comes back up.

Then again, I'm not a northern bumpkin and we had this thing called electricity down south so them new fangled things like light bulbs would work
TBH that could be a possibility...I wasn't keen to start off with but now you've really made my mind up.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 5:34 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

It's always dark and oppressive in Maine mate even in the height of Summer I got to admit though I didn't think the days would be shorter than the UK like they are round here.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 6:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair (and I can only speak of my experience) it wasn't a downpour on all of those days, but many were misty with rain off and on throughout the day. I can see how you could miss the sun though.
That's precisely the issue - the rain doesn't have the decency to fall and get it over with; it falls lightly for a few hours, then almost clears, then just when you think it may be a nice day after all, it starts again!

I can't find the statistics now, but I've seen them; there are, statistically, very few cloudless days in UK per year. The figures for actual rainfall are surprisingly low - it's just spread out over a long period of time ...

England has many things to recommend it, but exposure to sunshine is not one of them!
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 6:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

You are right about the rain in Boston - click the 'average rainfall' button.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 6:05 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

What's it like in NJ atm - do I need a coat?
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 6:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Elvira
What's it like in NJ atm - do I need a coat?
It's 50F at the moment...the last couple of days it's been 70 but before then it struggled to get out of the 30's. So bring your bikini, light jacket and mink coat.

It was very wet last weekend...same forecast for tomorrow.

http://www.nj.com/weather/?newark-nj

When are you here? I'm off to the UK on Sunday...later than I planned but hey ho.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 23rd 2009 at 6:35 pm. Reason: insert link

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.