Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How do you like your state?

How do you like your state?

Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default How do you like your state?

Just for fun I guess, what does everyone think of their new home state? Why did you pick that state in particular, and was it all you imagined or expected? Would you move to a different one, or move back to the UK?

Ok let's say this then to help spur some discussion. I'm originally from Puerto Rico, which is a Spanish speaking US territory in the middle of the Caribbean, but my parents moved us to PA and I've gone back every year for 3 months to see my family and I still think PA offers a much better quality of life. I love the cold weather and the changing seasons. The beach, sunshine, and sweltering heat are no appeal to me. It's not nice when you're in the middle of winter and it's still a hot 85 degrees outside, that's my opinion.

Last edited by chrisfromusa; Oct 5th 2009 at 9:20 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 12:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you like your state?

Originally Maine...because the missus is from Maine and she got a job there.

It was alright....shit winters and job situation mind, but score a job and I wouldn't mind moving back...within reason

Currently in Mass, because I got a job here....now stuck here because of the renters trap, can't afford to really stay here, can't afford to move.

It's alright....shit winters and job situation mind
Old Oct 6th 2009, 12:49 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't get much choice really California is OK, it's in a financial shit hole but Oh well. I love winter here, sunny, occasional rain, temp can get up into the high 70's. Ski slopes are an hour away and the beach is 3 hrs away. Summers we are five miles from the sun and in imminent danger of bumping into the sun some days. I hate the heat once it gets past 90, and the most annoying comment ever. "But it's a dry heat"
We've had a pretty decent life here though, I haven't hated my time in the US and I'm sure there's a lot of things I'd miss when we move home.
I would have really liked to try out the east coast (not Florida, oh god not Florida) with a nice short flight back to UK for visits.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

I have an ongoing love affair with California, but I recently had an intense and passionate two year fling with Seattle which has really thrown me off balance.

I can't get past the idea that Captiol Hill in Seattle is the greatest neighbourhood in the universe.

The weather is not as bad as people think (especially relative to the UK), and when you add in the skiing, proximity to Canada, microbrews, trees, low taxes and total lack of polution, it's really hard to ignore Washington state.

Honorary mention to Oregon, for all the same reasons, but it just hasn't got Capitol Hill.

Last edited by caleyjag; Oct 6th 2009 at 1:24 am.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:28 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
Honorary mention to Oregon, for all the same reasons, but it just hasn't got Capitol Hill.
We have stuff you don't even know about yet! Better stuff!
Old Oct 6th 2009, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

I have an ongoing love affair with California, but I recently had an intense and passionate two year fling with Seattle which has really thrown me off balance.

I can't get past the idea that Captiol Hill in Seattle is the greatest neighbourhood in the universe.

The weather is not as bad as people think (especially relative to the UK), and when you add in the skiing, proximity to Canada, microbrews, trees, low taxes and total lack of polution, it's really hard to ignore Washington state.

I have a longtime friend that lives in the Tri-Cities and he always goes on and on how WA is the best state ever. Quite frankly I'd love to live either in England, Scotland, or Spain (I'm a native Spanish speaker)
Old Oct 6th 2009, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Michigan for 7 years. Really loved the (short) summers, apart from the mosquitoes the size of small aircraft! But we lived by the river and spent summers on and in Lake Huron. Loved being near Canada too. The first couple of winters were ok, but by the time we left I was sick of the white stuff and the freezing temps for months and months at a time. My kids, who spent their early childhood there, really miss the snow though.

Now we've been in Texas for nearly 2 years and I love it. Sure it gets bl**dy hot, but I prefer that to the cold. No complaints, but maybe I'll be sick of the summers in a few years time, who knows!!
Old Oct 6th 2009, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lisa67
Michigan for 7 years. Really loved the (short) summers, apart from the mosquitoes the size of small aircraft! But we lived by the river and spent summers on and in Lake Huron. Loved being near Canada too. The first couple of winters were ok, but by the time we left I was sick of the white stuff and the freezing temps for months and months at a time. My kids, who spent their early childhood there, really miss the snow though.

Now we've been in Texas for nearly 2 years and I love it. Sure it gets bl**dy hot, but I prefer that to the cold. No complaints, but maybe I'll be sick of the summers in a few years time, who knows!!
hahaha, gotta find that middle ground huh? Hey you should consider western Washington State. Mild winters, and warm summers, not hot. Some say it's like England, except the sun shines in summer
Old Oct 6th 2009, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
hahaha, gotta find that middle ground huh? Hey you should consider western Washington State. Mild winters, and warm summers, not hot. Some say it's like England, except the sun shines in summer
And it has Capitol Hill.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
Well we'll be going where the work is for a while to come (which is how we ended up here in the first place). Would be interested in visiting Washington State though
Old Oct 6th 2009, 3:43 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

My state.......... hard to beat...

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...title&resnum=1
Old Oct 6th 2009, 4:18 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok go and rent the movie 'Deliverance', get an industrial sized bottle of white out or whatever Americans call tippex and paint the lower portion of your tv with it and imagine it is snow.

Now watch the entire movie and you will get a fairly accurate recreation of a Maine winter.

This time of year though it is beautiful for a whole week. Usually it is either green, brown or white.

Oh and the people that live in my part of Maine are ****ing nuts.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 6:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I've been having a 25 year love affair with California too, and find the Bay Area pretty hard to beat. But I'm now having a 'bit on the side' in Arizona, finding that there's more to the place than desert and heat. 25 years in UK made me practically allergic to drizzle and gray skies, so WA and OR are a bit tough for me (though infinitely better than anywhere that has hot, humid summers - like the entire East Coast, Mid-West, and South!).

Originally Posted by Elvira
Amazing how the pictures don't capture the miserable weather that prevails 90% of the time! I spent 6 years in London and loved it, but would not go back there unless Global Warming magically changes the weather!
Old Oct 6th 2009, 11:09 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

My state is usually one of complete drunkenness. Works for me.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 11:47 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Never having lived anywhere else I can't say that I wouldn't like a different state more than I like Missouri, and there are a few that I wouldn't mind trying, but I have had the good luck to be born in a State that suits me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.