Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How do you like your state?

How do you like your state?

Old Oct 6th 2009, 7:07 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you like your state?

Originally Posted by caleyjag
I have an ongoing love affair with California, but I recently had an intense and passionate two year fling with Seattle which has really thrown me off balance.

I can't get past the idea that Captiol Hill in Seattle is the greatest neighbourhood in the universe.

The weather is not as bad as people think (especially relative to the UK), and when you add in the skiing, proximity to Canada, microbrews, trees, low taxes and total lack of polution, it's really hard to ignore Washington state.

Honorary mention to Oregon, for all the same reasons, but it just hasn't got Capitol Hill.
Lucky me, I live there!
Old Oct 6th 2009, 7:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Yeah! But I cross back into DC in about 30 min, and then I fly home tomorrow.
Thank you
Old Oct 6th 2009, 9:04 pm
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

Ha, Capitol Hill in Seattle is awesome, lived there for a few years and still miss it! I live in Ballard now which is also fun, but still miss all the characters on Capitol Hill. I've only ever lived in Washington state since moving out here, so don't know any better, but I do love it here! We've had an awesome summer, not much rain, and even today is crisp, clear and fairly warm out. I can see Mount Rainier from our house on clear days, can't beat that!
Naomi.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 9:12 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by naomi
Ha, Capitol Hill in Seattle is awesome, lived there for a few years and still miss it! I live in Ballard now which is also fun, but still miss all the characters on Capitol Hill. I've only ever lived in Washington state since moving out here, so don't know any better, but I do love it here! We've had an awesome summer, not much rain, and even today is crisp, clear and fairly warm out. I can see Mount Rainier from our house on clear days, can't beat that!
Naomi.
Hi Naomi,
It is beautiful living in Seattle - however if I catch you saying the word "awesome" out of context (this was spot on btw) I will hunt you down and shoot you
Old Oct 6th 2009, 10:19 pm
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate2112
Hi Naomi,
It is beautiful living in Seattle - however if I catch you saying the word "awesome" out of context (this was spot on btw) I will hunt you down and shoot you
Oh, ack, I did say it twice! I work as an editor too! Do you ever go to the Comet on Capitol Hill? That used to be my bar of choice, many good memories from that place ;-)
Old Oct 6th 2009, 10:28 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sime303
Ok go and rent the movie 'Deliverance', get an industrial sized bottle of white out or whatever Americans call tippex and paint the lower portion of your tv with it and imagine it is snow.

Now watch the entire movie and you will get a fairly accurate recreation of a Maine winter.

This time of year though it is beautiful for a whole week. Usually it is either green, brown or white.

Oh and the people that live in my part of Maine are ****ing nuts.

I'm also in Maine and that's a perfect description
It's suprisingly expensive to live here considering it's so out in the sticks, and the summers (ha ha!!) and winters are grinding me down. Maybe if I had someone to play outdoors with in Winter it would be more fun but I don't, so it's just a chore. or I wouldnt mind the cold winter if we got a nice summer, but the humidity and mosquitos are killing me.....not to mention the fact that my hair looks like that of a mad professor with the humidity

I'm reading all the posts with interest too to see feedback on other states.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 11:13 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juswus
...not to mention the fact that my hair looks like that of a mad professor with the humidity

I'm reading all the posts with interest too to see feedback on other states.
Yikes poor you, I get the mad professor look in humid weather too. Here's it's so dry my hair seems tame. Then I go to UK to visit and have no clue what to do with the windswept frizzy mess. I look really wild in all my holiday pics
Maybe east coast living isn't where I'd like to try after all.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 1:24 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

I always get stick on here when I talk about Ohio - But we love it here. Its warm in the summers and cold in the winters - BUT not the total frozen armpit high snow of say michigan. We could have chosen 2 other parts of the US (pheonix and New York) to go to with the job and im so glad we chose here!

We live on the outskirts of Columbus - 13th largest city in the US - although not that many people outside the US have heard of it. The people are very friendly and welcoming - its rural in places but built up in others.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 1:25 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
I always get stick on here when I talk about Ohio.
well I like New Jersey but a lot of people seem to find that hilarious/baffling
Old Oct 7th 2009, 1:54 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

.....not to mention the fact that my hair looks like that of a mad professor with the humidity
I know, I have seen that mugshot type photo you did on facebook lol

As far as playing in the snow, my neighbour has introduced me to cross country skiing over the last couple of years. It is surprisingly easy to pick up but a right bastard to master.

Last edited by sime303; Oct 7th 2009 at 1:57 am.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 2:08 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sime303
I know, I have seen that mugshot type photo you did on facebook lol

As far as playing in the snow, my neighbour has introduced me to cross country skiing over the last couple of years. It is surprisingly easy to pick up but a right bastard to master.
PMSL

Yes I did try that once and really enjoyed it.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 2:11 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

PMSL

Yes I did try that once and really enjoyed it.
Yeah loads of places to do it in the woods and because of that it is fairly affordable, unlike back in the U.K. where it costs an arm and a leg to fall over on a dry ski slope and come home looking like you got raped by a rabid hedgehog.

Also not a bad way to stay fit during the Winter months. All that falling down and getting back up again when you come to a small incline.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

juliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud of

So far I've spent 7 years in N Cal (very northern) and 3 months in PA (central) and so far PA wins hands down.... a lot less rednecks, lots more things to do and a lot better transport links (direct flights to Florida yeah!). And I nearly forgot to mention that the locals don't look at you as if you're alien as soon as you open your mouth and out comes a brit accent
Old Oct 7th 2009, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

Floridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud of

I met my wife and we bought her dads Restaurant in Pinellas County, Florida, just over the water from Tampa. I never go to the beach, hate the summer, and good pubs are very difficult to find. I must admit to loving Key West, St. Augustine is nice, and a bit further I love Savannah. But went to Seattle for 3 days and loved the place, Portland was just as good. Have always enjoyed Chicago, and just came back from vermont (Lush). Of course i have never been to any of these places in the Winter so it's probably much different. Winter in San Francisco is much like a Winter in Florida..........Easy!!
Old Oct 7th 2009, 6:28 pm
Junior Showtime

Originally Posted by naomi
Oh, ack, I did say it twice! I work as an editor too! Do you ever go to the Comet on Capitol Hill? That used to be my bar of choice, many good memories from that place ;-)
Being practically ready to start blue rinsing I can hand on heart say that the Comet would not be looking for my demographic to enter their hallowed portals
That corridor is a lot of fun though - I am more of a Cafe Vita (diagonally opposite the Comet) patron. Lots of new restaurants have opened in this area recently and its changing the area for the better, except for Cupcake Royale (decor -pink, light blue and white...barf) which is a lot out of place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.