Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How do you like your state?

How do you like your state?

Old Oct 7th 2009, 6:43 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you like your state?

Originally Posted by Kate2112
Being practically ready to start blue rinsing I can hand on heart say that the Comet would not be looking for my demographic to enter their hallowed portals
That corridor is a lot of fun though - I am more of a Cafe Vita (diagonally opposite the Comet) patron. Lots of new restaurants have opened in this area recently and its changing the area for the better, except for Cupcake Royale (decor -pink, light blue and white...barf) which is a lot out of place.
What's up with this cupcake trend anyway? There aer like three specialty places just in my corner of town now.
Grab a gimmick and beat it to death.

Have to say, I never thought the donut thing would take off either though.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by juliecalifornia
So far I've spent 7 years in N Cal (very northern) and 3 months in PA (central) and so far PA wins hands down.... a lot less rednecks, lots more things to do and a lot better transport links (direct flights to Florida yeah!). And I nearly forgot to mention that the locals don't look at you as if you're alien as soon as you open your mouth and out comes a brit accent
I presume you are talking about Humboldt County, Eureka, Shasta, etc - that's definitely 'rural' and redneck - and not what most folks think of as "Northern California". Great for a sight-seeing trip, not somewhere I'd want to live!

I've found "Northern CA" (as in, San Francisco Bay Area) to be a wonderful place to live for so many reasons, but it IS very expensive and I can't imagine 'getting started' here today. I've had a wonderful 25 years here.

I've been lucky enough to spend the last 6+ months in Arizona (all paid for by my company) and I'm ready to say I could definitely live here. I never thought I'd say that! I've visited about 25 states, several of them for extended periods of time, and never found anywhere that I would consider moving to, but Arizona has hit the spot (though Oregon and Washington State are close contenders). I, probably like most people, always thought of Arizona as being hot, dry, flat desert (based on my prior business trips to Phoenix, and the odd trip to the Grand Canyon). Now that I've been living here 6 months, I'm finding Arizona to have many positives.

1) cost of housing is cheap;
2) cost of living is cheap (gas alone is way cheaper than CA)
3) people are VERY laid back and friendly
4) there is no Bible Belt mentality that pervades the "south" and mid-west (there is supposedly a big Mormon presence, but I have yet to see it!)
5) It is politically moderate - it's a republican state, but very different from the typical republican states I've experienced
6) the weather is GOOD. I've just lived through the worst part in the worst place - July/Aug/Sept in Phoenix - which is brutally hot (but it IS a dry heat!), but the rest of the year is amazing. And - if you drive 1 hour out of Phoenix, you are at 7,000 feet and 20 degrees cooler. Disclaimer - I work in an air-conditioned office and so the brutal summer is not so bad. Trying to enjoy the outdoors during the day, in summer, is not fun. Evenings are WONDERFUL - dry, warm, bug-free ... 'perfect'.
7) the scenery is beautiful - you can go to Sedona, Payson, Show Low, and many other places, and find dense forest. Even 'Cave Creek' / 'Carefree' (just outside Phoenix) are quite pretty
8) location is not bad -you can reach San Diego, Colorado, and Santa Fe by a decent drive
9) Phoenix airport is very well served - US Airways hub and direct flights to UK.

Since I already have an established home in CA, and I have a 25 year history there, I'm not going to leave CA for AZ, but I'd say AZ is a place for anyone to consider - way better (IMHO) than 90% of the states out there! I plan to use it as a second home.

Last edited by Steerpike; Oct 7th 2009 at 8:51 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 9:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

So the last couple of days have been a bit chilli, causing the leaves to turn a nice colour....today, it rained like a mofo and has been as windy as an elephant arse after a curry.

There'll be no pretty colours by the morning if this keeps up, except the green leaves will just turn brown.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
I always get stick on here when I talk about Ohio - But we love it here. Its warm in the summers and cold in the winters - BUT not the total frozen armpit high snow of say michigan. We could have chosen 2 other parts of the US (pheonix and New York) to go to with the job and im so glad we chose here!
I'm also in Ohio because of a job change. Prior to moving here the only time I'd spent in the state was in transit on I-75. I'm happy with how it worked out. Four seasons, reasonable cost of living, lots to do. We went furniture shopping at the Amish stores in Holmes County last week. That beats going to Crate & Barrell or IKEA any day.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

juliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I presume you are talking about Humboldt County, Eureka, Shasta, etc - that's definitely 'rural' and redneck - and not what most folks think of as "Northern California". Great for a sight-seeing trip, not somewhere I'd want to live!

I've found "Northern CA" (as in, San Francisco Bay Area) to be a wonderful place to live for so many reasons, but it IS very expensive and I can't imagine 'getting started' here today. I've had a wonderful 25 years here.

I've been lucky enough to spend the last 6+ months in Arizona (all paid for by my company) and I'm ready to say I could definitely live here. I never thought I'd say that! I've visited about 25 states, several of them for extended periods of time, and never found anywhere that I would consider moving to, but Arizona has hit the spot (though Oregon and Washington State are close contenders). I, probably like most people, always thought of Arizona as being hot, dry, flat desert (based on my prior business trips to Phoenix, and the odd trip to the Grand Canyon). Now that I've been living here 6 months, I'm finding Arizona to have many positives.

1) cost of housing is cheap;
2) cost of living is cheap (gas alone is way cheaper than CA)
3) people are VERY laid back and friendly
4) there is no Bible Belt mentality that pervades the "south" and mid-west (there is supposedly a big Mormon presence, but I have yet to see it!)
5) It is politically moderate - it's a republican state, but very different from the typical republican states I've experienced
6) the weather is GOOD. I've just lived through the worst part in the worst place - July/Aug/Sept in Phoenix - which is brutally hot (but it IS a dry heat!), but the rest of the year is amazing. And - if you drive 1 hour out of Phoenix, you are at 7,000 feet and 20 degrees cooler. Disclaimer - I work in an air-conditioned office and so the brutal summer is not so bad. Trying to enjoy the outdoors during the day, in summer, is not fun. Evenings are WONDERFUL - dry, warm, bug-free ... 'perfect'.
7) the scenery is beautiful - you can go to Sedona, Payson, Show Low, and many other places, and find dense forest. Even 'Cave Creek' / 'Carefree' (just outside Phoenix) are quite pretty
8) location is not bad -you can reach San Diego, Colorado, and Santa Fe by a decent drive
9) Phoenix airport is very well served - US Airways hub and direct flights to UK.

Since I already have an established home in CA, and I have a 25 year history there, I'm not going to leave CA for AZ, but I'd say AZ is a place for anyone to consider - way better (IMHO) than 90% of the states out there! I plan to use it as a second home.
Yup, we were in Chico (not Chino!) about 240 miles north of San Francisco. Nearest big place was Sacramento and that was 90 miles away Pretty much nothing to do locally unless you're either a student or a redneck. We had one nice bar at a hotel but otherwise eating out it was cheap mexican, or cheap mexican, or "family style" Luckily we did have a local airport but it only flew to San Francisco, but it was better than nothing!

Around us we did have some lovely countryside, but there was just nothing really to do. San Francisco was great for long weekends and we toured the Grand Canyon, so made the most of the location, but I'm glad to be able to experience the east coast now as a resident and not just a tourist. So far it's looking good
Old Oct 8th 2009, 12:44 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by juliecalifornia
Yup, we were in Chico (not Chino!) about 240 miles north of San Francisco. Nearest big place was Sacramento and that was 90 miles away Pretty much nothing to do locally unless you're either a student or a redneck. We had one nice bar at a hotel but otherwise eating out it was cheap mexican, or cheap mexican, or "family style" Luckily we did have a local airport but it only flew to San Francisco, but it was better than nothing!

Around us we did have some lovely countryside, but there was just nothing really to do. San Francisco was great for long weekends and we toured the Grand Canyon, so made the most of the location, but I'm glad to be able to experience the east coast now as a resident and not just a tourist. So far it's looking good
Good god we went that far north for a week camping ( Lake Francis in a cabin) it was horrendous, every restaurant/mexican for miles was closed cause it wasn't a friday or the weekend. The grocery store was an old rickity building from around 1840 and you had to go up these suspect looking stairs to get in, they had rows of shelves with one of most items on, priced way out there.
We drove an hour into Marysville to eat we were so desperate for food and the first place we found was an old ma n pa hamburger joint, we ate them out of house and home I've never tasted food so good, and it wasn't their cooking I was flippin starving.
The kids and I thought as we were driving up 49, we could disappear up here, and no one would find the bodies for years
Old Oct 8th 2009, 3:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
I have an ongoing love affair with California, but I recently had an intense and passionate two year fling with Seattle which has really thrown me off balance.

I can't get past the idea that Captiol Hill in Seattle is the greatest neighbourhood in the universe.

The weather is not as bad as people think (especially relative to the UK), and when you add in the skiing, proximity to Canada, microbrews, trees, low taxes and total lack of polution, it's really hard to ignore Washington state.

Honorary mention to Oregon, for all the same reasons, but it just hasn't got Capitol Hill.
Don't know Capitol Hill, but definitely Western Washington. I'm a transplant from California, to the UK and now Washington. Hubs didn't want to move to California at all (hates hot weather, smog, worried about earthquakes....) but felt that Washington would be better. It actually has been. Its close enough to California for me (I have relatives there) and it has direct flights from the UK for other relatives. The biggest problem I have with living here, is that we have no relatives nearby. Very lonely during the holidays and hard to raise a child with no close relatives nearby.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Don't know Capitol Hill, but definitely Western Washington. I'm a transplant from California, to the UK and now Washington. Hubs didn't want to move to California at all (hates hot weather, smog, worried about earthquakes....) but felt that Washington would be better. It actually has been. Its close enough to California for me (I have relatives there) and it has direct flights from the UK for other relatives. The biggest problem I have with living here, is that we have no relatives nearby. Very lonely during the holidays and hard to raise a child with no close relatives nearby.
I know how that feels. I grew up 3 hours flight time away from my family. They all stayed in tropical Puerto Rico and we came up here :P
Old Oct 11th 2009, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

benblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nice

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
Just for fun I guess, what does everyone think of their new home state? Why did you pick that state in particular, and was it all you imagined or expected? Would you move to a different one, or move back to the UK?

I live in CO, and I like it just fine. I didn't choose it - my employer chose it, and then me.

The only other places I'd actively want to live would be Arizona, the San Francisco Bay Area, New York City, or Rayleigh, NC. Everywhere else, I'd go if I had to, but I wouldn't choose.

I'm unlikely to go back to the UK, even though we have a house there. I'd rather go back to the Middle East, and if I did, I'd probably stay there for the rest of my career.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Second what Benblaney said. OH got a job in CO and we moved here from MA. The only complaint if you can call it one is the winters are not so great, but a lot better than the ones in MA, they stunk big time. Wouldn't really want to move from here.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 2:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
We live on the outskirts of Columbus - 13th largest city in the US - although not that many people outside the US have heard of it.
When I'm overseas I either say I live "in the middle" or "5 hours away from Chicago".
Old Oct 12th 2009, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

um, medium-well, dont like a lot of blood coming from it you see.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
I can't get past the idea that Captiol Hill in Seattle is the greatest neighbourhood in the universe.
I lived in Capitol Hill and hated it.

Now I live in Maine which is fabulous. I also enjoyed living in Ohio, and spending a lot of weekends in West Virginia. But Maine is much better.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Having just watched the 'Legacy of Loma Prieta' have to wonder how happy I really am to be in th Bay Area!
Old Oct 13th 2009, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
I lived in Capitol Hill and hated it.
How did you manage that? Bad roommates?

Of course, if you like peace and quiet, then Cap Hill ain't gonna work. But then, I HATE peace and quiet.

Anyone here ever call the cops on a party in their neighborhood? Yeah? Well watch it, because one day I will have my revenge on all you sad bastards!

The only place that I can see really challenging Cap Hill for party awesomeness on this side of the continent is Castro/Mission in SF.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.