Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How do you like your state?

How do you like your state?

Old Oct 20th 2009, 5:20 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you like your state?

Originally Posted by chartreuse
We get all the "Texas" that makes Texas what it is, plus we get seasons. What more could anybody want?
90% less Texas?
Old Oct 20th 2009, 5:32 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

I like New Jersey and am starting to get all defensive about it. I was at a meeting last week in the far north of upstate New York and at the end I had the following brief conversation with one of the participants:

Him: So where are you headed back to now?
Me: New Jersey.
Him: You live in Jersey? Man, that’s gotta be rough.
Me: Er, how so?
Him: Well, you know…..trash everywhere…
Me: No, I don’t know – it’s pretty nice where we live. It’s suburbia, but it’s not run down. New Jersey has plenty of forests and state parks as well as urban areas, and we can get to them pretty quickly.
Him: Hmmm (clearly unconvinced)
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 4:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
I like New Jersey and am starting to get all defensive about it. I was at a meeting last week in the far north of upstate New York and at the end I had the following brief conversation with one of the participants:

Me: No, I don’t know – it’s pretty nice where we live. It’s suburbia, but it’s not run down. New Jersey has plenty of forests and state parks as well as urban areas, and we can get to them pretty quickly.
I have a good friend in NJ and visited her; it was beautiful. This was in the vicinity of Morristown.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 4:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldobson
Hmm York eh? Yes I would concur, as a fellow York(PA) and York Uker, PA is definately not expensive, at least compared to Baltimore, MD where we work.

Of course the economy is hurting everywhere!
Lots of people who work in NJ move just over the border into PA because it's much cheaper to live there.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 4:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman

Agreed and even more so after driving through the states to the south of us on our way to Florida. Additionally I enjoy being relatively near to several major cities...ie NYC, Philly, Boston, DC and I can fly non stop to Manchester from NJ and be there in approx 6 hrs.

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I have a good friend in NJ and visited her; it was beautiful. This was in the vicinity of Morristown.
That's the nearest town to me.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 11:36 am
Boston Sep 15th

starky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
You really do get used to it...but last winter wasn't a bad one at all, pretty mild...this one on the other hand might be a bit pants, what with it already having some snow
Your about the 15th person thats said that to me. lets see how far into next year I last before I am packing up and moving somewhere warm :-)
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 1:11 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Well I moved From Florida to North Carolina.

Nice again to get the changing of the seasons.

I can even buy Walker's crisps locally

Also locally made Back Bacon & Sausages

We get it colder here than Inverness ever gets, but I love it it can be 19 degrees in the morning with a beautiful blue sky and the sun shining.

Don't remember seeing the sun much in the winter back home.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Hehe you got out of the Florida trap :P
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 10:43 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fsm
Well I moved From Florida to North Carolina.

Nice again to get the changing of the seasons.

I can even buy Walker's crisps locally

Also locally made Back Bacon & Sausages

We get it colder here than Inverness ever gets, but I love it it can be 19 degrees in the morning with a beautiful blue sky and the sun shining.

I was going to comment on the seasons thing, and how it's comforting to those of us who grew up with them.

But where you get your Walker's, and for how much, is vastly more important!
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 1:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fsm

You hit upon one of the big weather differences; it's not the cold in UK that bothers me, but rather the endless clouds and drizzle. I've been to both NYC and Anchorage in the middle of winter, and in both cases, it was bitterly cold, but - the skies were clear and you saw the sun most days - THAT is hugely important to me (actually, Anchorage in late December is a bit dark ... - but - strangely interesting to visit!)
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 2:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

You hit upon one of the big weather differences; it's not the cold in UK that bothers me, but rather the endless clouds and drizzle. I've been to both NYC and Anchorage in the middle of winter, and in both cases, it was bitterly cold, but - the skies were clear and you saw the sun most days - THAT is hugely important to me (actually, Anchorage in late December is a bit dark ... - but - strangely interesting to visit!)
I agree that is a downside to living in the UK...along with the reduced amount of daylight hours.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 2:08 am
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chartreuse
I was going to comment on the seasons thing, and how it's comforting to those of us who grew up with them.

But where you get your Walker's, and for how much, is vastly more important!
There is a South African store here in Charlotte, I can even buy my frozen kippers

Alas the crisps are 90 cents a bag, but I really love my Smoky Bacon crisps.

I know I could buy a box elsewhere and have it shipped, but then I know I would eat the whole box rather quickly (short shelf life)
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 2:10 am
fsm
So I am where?

I will be in Inverness next week, here it's getting dark about 7.00 there it will be around 3.00, do not expect to see the sun for the next couple of weeks, but you never know.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

is it really as cloudy as people say it is in Britain? I know it gets pretty cloudy there but just how often is there a cloudless sky?
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 2:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
is it really as cloudy as people say it is in Britain? I know it gets pretty cloudy there but just how often is there a cloudless sky?
Hmmm ... I'm not saying this is typical, but when we were in the UK for two weeks in August - September it rained all but four days. (And it rained a little bit on a couple of those days too, but the bulk was sun so I'm counting them!) It definitely makes a difference if you're in the east (more sun) vs. the west (more rain).

If that sounds excessive I'm sure someone will correct me. I don't have anything to compare that experience to.

BUT ... it's never raining in the pub!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.