Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Homesickness "grass is greener" syndrome

Wikiposts

Homesickness "grass is greener" syndrome

Old Aug 18th 2007, 8:27 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesickness "grass is greener" syndrome

Originally Posted by Sally
I give up
I can't bitch about my spouse, he'd read every word.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surly
Why would it be a bigger decision to move back, you know what your getting and probably have family support.
Yes I know what I'm getting but I do not have any Family support what so ever, I will be on my own for at least 2 to 3 months my OH & Son are staying here so that I get thing's set up for his visa, I do have the help of a few very good friends back home but that's it. I know it will be no picnic but I cant say living over here these past five years has been a picnic either.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you. But can you understand people who are still settling in?
Do you have anything positive to say about the US? please tell me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen it.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Yes I know what I'm getting but I do not have any Family support what so ever, I will be on my own for at least 2 to 3 months my OH & Son are staying here so that I get thing's set up for his visa, I do have the help of a few very good friends back home but that's it. I know it will be no picnic but I cant say living over here these past five years has been a picnic either.
Do what's right for you. You are unhappy here and made the decision to move back. I would too if I felt the same.
I sincerely wish you well.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Do what's right for you. You are unhappy here and made the decision to move back. I would too if I felt the same.
I sincerely wish you well.
Thankyou but can you not try and cut some slack with the other's, after all you do seem to like coming on here.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 8:58 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you have anything positive to say about the US? please tell me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen it.
Yes!! It's big and brash, that can be great fun. The shopping is good, I love the weather where I am and being able to go to the beach and eat outside. Eating out I find generally better than the UK.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 10:26 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I can bitch about him if you want?
Old Aug 18th 2007, 10:37 am
Account Closed

southern comfort is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes!! It's big and brash, that can be great fun. The shopping is good, I love the weather where I am and being able to go to the beach and eat outside. Eating out I find generally better than the UK.
WE all tend to like what we are most used to whether it be the US or the UK its whats familiar
Old Aug 18th 2007, 10:49 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny

I bitch about mine....if I were nice to him he would think he was dying......
Old Aug 18th 2007, 10:56 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of people here moan about life's little things...I remember my first 3 years in the USA...I thought it was the bee's knees...told everyone and anyone to move here... then we hit bad times...things that I thought we had left behind in the UK...we just found that they had followed us here...I felt let down....I spend the next few years telling everyone the USA was a crap place to live...then I got over it and work out one place is very much like the other...and the USA is home warts and all...and that the UK is still home too...but more like mums house...I can say what I like about my mums decorating but God help anyone else who does it....
Old Aug 18th 2007, 1:27 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
A lot of people here moan about life's little things...I remember my first 3 years in the USA...I thought it was the bee's knees...told everyone and anyone to move here... then we hit bad times...things that I thought we had left behind in the UK...we just found that they had followed us here...I felt let down....I spend the next few years telling everyone the USA was a crap place to live...then I got over it and work out one place is very much like the other...and the USA is home warts and all...and that the UK is still home too...but more like mums house...I can say what I like about my mums decorating but God help anyone else who does it....
Totally agree! the reason we came here, it was our dream to see the world and actually experience living in different countries, we've seen most of Europe so when a job offer came in USA we took it, we were young, had nothing really holding us back (except family, who all said go for it) and so packed our bags for the land of opportunities..and it was great, we had money say different states before we decided NC was for us, bought the house and really started making a home for our family, but of course all good things must come to an end..my OH had to take a massive paycut, we are barely struggling at the moment and I'm on a H4 which means I cannot contribute anything! so this is what I bitch about, not the Yanks in general, although some do come up with the silliest questions..but about the system, we Brits are made to bitch, its in our blood, some of the best comedians in the world bitch about stuff and thats classed as funny entertainment, bitching makes us smile and makes other people smile its our way of making the world seem like a better place, because we can laugh about it and ourselves...

Thank you and goodnight...
Old Aug 18th 2007, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redlippie
OH FFS...I can't take it anymore!!!!

FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHT to FREE SPEECH.

If I want to say that the US SUCKS beyond measure when it comes to HEALTHCARE or any other reason, I BLOODY WELL WILL.

It is my right.

If you don't like it....well...you can just fluck off or put me on ignore.

We are immigrants on here. There are good and bad things about this country. I love living here, but I am not blind to its faults.

It is easier for us expats to see, because we come here with fresh eyes and experiences of other countries, and are able to see the shortcomings, a tad more clearly than someone raised here.

Plus, Brits are whingers. The entire world knows that, and ignore it and don't take it personally.

Anyone who says..if you don't like it then leave.....gosh, I hope you took your nap and had your diaper changed today.
2nd 3rd & 4th it.
Right on.
Frank R.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 2:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by southern comfort
WE all tend to like what we are most used to whether it be the US or the UK its whats familiar
Er...that's the opposite of what I'm saying.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 2:13 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by krizzy
Originally Posted by lisag8070
Totally agree! the reason we came here, it was our dream to see the world and actually experience living in different countries, we've seen most of Europe so when a job offer came in USA we took it, we were young, had nothing really holding us back (except family, who all said go for it) and so packed our bags for the land of opportunities..and it was great, we had money say different states before we decided NC was for us, bought the house and really started making a home for our family, but of course all good things must come to an end..my OH had to take a massive paycut, we are barely struggling at the moment and I'm on a H4 which means I cannot contribute anything! so this is what I bitch about, not the Yanks in general, although some do come up with the silliest questions..but about the system, we Brits are made to bitch, its in our blood, some of the best comedians in the world bitch about stuff and thats classed as funny entertainment, bitching makes us smile and makes other people smile its our way of making the world seem like a better place, because we can laugh about it and ourselves...

Thank you and goodnight...

Very good
Old Aug 18th 2007, 2:15 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Very good
Thank you and may I say thats the biggest, bestest compliment I've received all day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.